New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Hi guys,

There's something that has boggled me for quite sometime...

Anong engine displacement ng original Tamaraw? Didnt it have the Toyota 3k engine which was just about 1.2 or 1.4L?

Well, something which has been on my mind is how can such a small engine carry such a big payload? How come today's cars and SUVs which much more advanced engines require huge engine displacements while the Tamaraw which had a large capacity had only a small engine? How was it able to do that?

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I think it has to do with the transmission, it has been configured as "low speed" which is geared more for payload than speed. Another thing maybe is the engine itself is tuned for torque rather than power.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    we had one before but it was sold '87 or '88 yata. yes, 3K nga engine nun, if i remember it right 1.2 ang engine displacement nya. it's the short version, pang 5-6 tao bawat side plus 3 sa harap.. meron pa syang maliit na electric fas sa harap, tapos yung pinto nya ay metal doors na ikakawit mo lang pag sinara. pag umulan naman ay ibababa lang yung trapal sa driver at passenger side pero sa likod ay sliding glass na..hehe

parati nga nahihiram yun pag may sundo/hatid sa airport. di pa yata uso nagpapa-rent ng mga sasakyan nun..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If i remember it correctly, maraming variant na lumabas... there are 3K (1.2L), 4K (1.3L) and a 12R (1.6L?).

The body was magaang (the older tamaraw was smaller) so it can load a lot of tao and the pulling power was still good.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's all in the gearing.

You don't really need that much power to drive in traffic. Yung problem lang talaga with many cars with 1.2 - 1.4 liter engines is they aren't geared right for their weight.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It's all in the gearing.

You don't really need that much power to drive in traffic. Yung problem lang talaga with many cars with 1.2 - 1.4 liter engines is they aren't geared right for their weight.
    Are you familiar with the AMC Hammer (the locally built hummer look alike). do you think one of these engines can power a vehicle like that? It could carry around 8-10 people in the old tamaraw right?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It's all in the gearing.

How can u tell sir? Examples?
    Last edited by hominid; October 27th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.

Figuring out the Tamaraw Equation