New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Motoring Tip of the Week
    More timely tips for our motorists regarding driving through flooded streets as we find ourselves in the midst of the rainy season and with the Metro streets prone to flooding, sometimes even after a short but heavy downpour.

Always maintain a high RPM while driving through floods to keep the water from entering the engine through the exhaust system. When you let go of your accelerator pedal and lower your engine’s RPM, water would almost surely be sucked in through the exhaust pipes and on to the manifold and straight to your engine. And this would cause your engine to cease and for your vehicle to stall.

When driving through floods — keep your RPM up.

I just can't fathom how water would creep up to the engine via the muffler when the engine is running. I just don't make sense.

I've tried it before while I was still in the Phil let the engine idle (diesel) while muffler was completely submerged in flood the engine did not stall. Narely a hiccup.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    para mas succeptible pa sa hydrolock kung hihger RPM dahil baka mahigop through the intake. grabe, aakayat sa exhaust manifold ang tubig? I can see it happen when the water is as high as the valve cover

I could be wrong.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Maybe kailangan lang na high rpm para malakas ang force ng hangin palabas ng tambutso kasi baka natatakpan na ito ng tubig, to prevent mamatay ang makina kasi hindi makalabas ang exhaust gas, pero yung papasok ang tubig sa makina parang hindi kasi mataas ang makina, subrang taasn na ng baha noon pagnagkataaon.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    hmmm... both arguments got points.

Faction na yan.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by raine
    Maybe kailangan lang na high rpm para malakas ang force ng hangin palabas ng tambutso kasi baka natatakpan na ito ng tubig, to prevent mamatay ang makina kasi hindi makalabas ang exhaust gas, pero yung papasok ang tubig sa makina parang hindi kasi mataas ang makina, subrang taasn na ng baha noon pagnagkataaon.
    This is the reason why.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by raine
    ahhh, ayun naman pala.

kaya ko, pag baha, 4L then 2 or o/d off....

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    4L? sa cemented or asphalt? paano kung liliko ka? hindi nga masisira engine mo drivetrain naman.

9. FrankDrebin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ARB
    4L? sa cemented or asphalt? paano kung liliko ka? hindi nga masisira engine mo drivetrain naman.
    Hehehe. Yun nga ang iniisip ko. Malaking gastos ya'an.

Quote Originally Posted by ARB
    4L kung leg to waist deep water (mga 5'7 ako). done it sa delica 4wd matic ko, (2inch lift and shortened air intake), and make sure ko na walang maarteng SUV na nasa harap ko....hirap mabitin sa gitna ng flood, di ba? pero stand-by ako sa brakes ko if suddenly may tumawid na stupid pedestrian...

dito sa liteace, di pa, kasi di pa ko tapos magpatch-up ng floor holes....

and manual hub tong liteace ko,e...auto-free ung dating delica ko...

kung bababa sa knee, i dont shift to 4L, kasi yan nga ang prob nyan....ung "binding" ba na yan...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Fact or Fiction