New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    while browsing carfinder, I saw a Electric Supercharger. myroon palang ganyan.

I search a thread similar to this pero wala. can someone share me about this?
    epektibo ba nga ba sila?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Si ghosthunter nakagamit na daw nun. Better ask him.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Please post the link.

There's only one electric supercharger that actually does anything... the Thomas Knight Electric Supercharger. But it needs two extra batteries and an upgraded alternator to work. Since it's run off of batteries, it's sort of like Nitrous... after using it a dozen times, you'll have to recharge... unlike Nitrous, you don't have to pay to refill... you just wait for the alternator to top the batteries up. The base system costs about 70,000 pesos and is not available locally except by mail-order.

It's only good for small four cylinder and V6 engines. The custom wound high power electric motor (15hp worth) can't push enough air to give appreciable boost on V8s. Heard about this years ago on the Nissan boards, as they used a Nissan Altima as a test car.

Everything else, like the Turbonator, the Turbozet and the zillion other plastic computer fan "superchargers" is fake. No matter how many rpms they claim their fans can do, the simple fact of the matter is that they can't push enough air to give you any power. You might feel a tiny boost at just above idle, but once past that, the fan will just slow your engine down, as it becomes a restriction in the intake.

Not to mention the danger of your engine chugging broken plastic fan blades if the air pressure accidentally sucks one of those cheap plastic pieces into your valvetrain.

EDIT: PS: I almost bought a TurboZet myself, years ago... for the Sentra... until I thought about it and realized it was a waste of money. Some people claimed a slight bump in power, but others said it did nothing... in other words... baka "psychological effect" lang siya. So I just went ahead and got a muffler instead. Didn't do much more, but at least it sounded fast...

EDIT2: By the way... this is how big the Thomas Knight kit is:

This is a 15hp electric motor that gives about 6 psi of boost on a 2.0 or 2.5 liter engine. If the electric motors aren't this big... they're probably not strong enough to give you any appreciable boost...

If the motor looks like this:

it's producing maybe 0.5 psi of boost... at idle. At full throttle, they're probably producing negative boost, and will be restricting airflow to the engine.
    Last edited by niky; July 11th, 2007 at 03:37 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Wow, 70K ang mahal...salamat sa info sir niky.

heto you link: http://tsikot.yehey.com/auto-classif...cat=30&page=12

nakita ko na ang thread ni GhostHunter, thanks Bogeyman.
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277

hindi pala kaya magprovide ng malaking power noh? how about converting it to 220 or 110 volts, gamitin yung vacuum cleaner pang turbo...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Vacuum cleaners might work... if it's the industrial sized 25 hp ones, but I don't know if the motors spin fast enough... and those take lots of power... you'll need a series of batteries to power them for even a few seconds, and an extra alternator or two to recharge the batteries.

Yung mga everyday 1-2hp vacuums... naaah.

I've read an account of someone making his own backyard electric supercharger... sabi niya if you use a big enough motor, at the most, you'll get a little extra power when accelerating from idle... power that goes away once the car is revving already.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tanong lang po...hindi ba theoretically possible na lagyan na lang ng overdrive gears yung motors - say like a smaller 12v motor doing say 3000rpm i-match mo with a gearing that would make the rpm 3x (9000 rpm) at dito nakadikit ang turbine... wouldn't that produce enough pressure?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    tanong lang po...hindi ba theoretically possible na lagyan na lang ng overdrive gears yung motors - say like a smaller 12v motor doing say 3000rpm i-match mo with a gearing that would make the rpm 3x (9000 rpm) at dito nakadikit ang turbine... wouldn't that produce enough pressure?
    you can multiple the rpm... but at the same time you would divide the power from the electric motor. To produce pressure, you will need serious power not just RPM.

If it's just the case of RPMs, then the original "TURBO-ZET" claims would have worked.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    when I calculated my 1300 watts blower/vacuum. it will give less than 2hp pala.

didn't imagine the turbo could do way more blowing than our super vacuum.
    Last edited by rion; July 12th, 2007 at 12:34 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks gh..patanong ulit sir...hindi ba sa type or design ng turbine fins ang nagbibigay ng pressure dun sa hangin?

just thinking aloud... dapat pala ay high torque, high rpm motors... i wonder if a high speed winch motor be used instead?!?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    thanks gh..patanong ulit sir...hindi ba sa type or design ng turbine fins ang nagbibigay ng pressure dun sa hangin?
    It is a combination of the design of the compressor fins/blades and the power turning the compressor. The point is that you are compressing large volumes of air and that requires a lot of power. That is the reason why (for the same engine) a supercharger produces less peak power than a turbocharger.

just thinking aloud... dapat pala ay high torque, high rpm motors... i wonder if a high speed winch motor be used instead?!?
    depends on the power output of the motor. But you'll be surprised that a winch relies more on it's low gearing than the brute force of it's electric motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Electric Supercharger