New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Been reading the thread regarding the grand livina which they say has electronic power steering

And it seems there are unconfirmed writings that it does 15km per liter up.

From my knowledge Honda city and jazz are also elctronic power steering.

So the question is does having a hydraulic system on your car makes you consume a lot of fuel?

Like turning off the air con or something

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXBUWAYA View Post
    Been reading the thread regarding the grand livina which they say has electronic power steering

And it seems there are unconfirmed writings that it does 15km per liter up.

From my knowledge Honda city and jazz are also elctronic power steering.

So the question is does having a hydraulic system on your car makes you consume a lot of fuel?

Like turning off the air con or something

Well, in theory removing the hydraulic pump would reduce the mechanical load on the engine which would lead to lower HP losses. Less HP lost would mean you can send more power to the wheels. The power that used to come from the pump can be generated via the alternator. The alternator might add a bit more load to the engine than "normal" but still less than if there was a hydraulic pump attached to the engine.

Theoretically yes... electric power steering can save some fuel.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    But would I trade it for the old fashioned hydrualic PS? NO! Ewan ko ba mas maganda parin yung hydraulic PS para sakin, mas parang mas may feedback ka from the road.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    ot si tidus but i agree with him . . .

in principle, yes, the electronic power steering system does free up the engine of the force needed for the steering and that's what the sales agents of those vehicles are saying. . .the question is how many kw does the eps system require?. . .'yan ang dapat nating malaman. . .maybe it's considerable, or maybe it's negligible. . .

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think EPS is not as good as turning off your aircon. wiki says only 1km/L. but I think it could go better, the benefits could be worth it since newer cars use EPS na...

ah yes, the complains of EPS the lack of "feel" on the road.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Electrically powered steering uses an [SIZE=2]electric [/SIZE] to drive either the power steering hydraulic pump or the [SIZE=2]steering linkage[/SIZE] directly. The power steering function is therefore independent of engine speed, resulting in significant energy savings. How much saving? Hindi ko alam.

[SIZE=2]Unlike conventional power steering system use an engine accessory belt to drive the pump, providing pressurized fluid that operates a piston in the power [SIZE=2]steering gear[/SIZE] or actuator to assist the driver.

In electro-hydraulic steering, one electrically powered steering concept uses a high efficiency pump driven by an electric motor. Pump speed is regulated by an electric controller to vary pump pressure and flow, providing steering efforts tailored for different driving situations. The pump can be run at low speed or shut off to provide energy savings during straight ahead driving (which is most of the time in most world markets na sasakyan).

Direct electric steering uses an electric motor attached to the [SIZE=2]steering rack [/SIZE]via a gear mechanism (walang pump or fluid). A variety of motor types and gear drives is possible. A microprocessor controls steering dynamics and driver effort. Inputs include vehicle speed and steering, wheel torque, angular position and turning rate.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by v6dreamer; August 25th, 2008 at 08:44 AM.

makakatipid, pero not that significant vs. if you turn off the aircon.

jazz, benni, livinia, city, accent, getz, i10, i30, crv, accord, civic din ata...

sana may maka-imbento--electric AC compressor.

Does electronic Power steering really makes a car Fuel efficient?