New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: restore or restomod that muscle car?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like classic beauties

3 42.86%
  • I love the new take on the old look

4 57.14%
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Just a quick poll guys. Do you like to restore as close to spec (of course minor upgrades like brakes or suspension but as long as you keep it looking as "classic" as possible) or do you like restomodding (the hotrod of today and go full-on tailor-fitting the stang to suit your individual taste...whether it be in full blast performance upgrades, interior upgrades, or even cosmetic upgrades...so that your stang is that one-of-a-kind beauty you would want it to be. The stang made by you for you.)

There are a lot of gray areas here but it is just a matter of whether you like keeping it as "classic" as possible or keep the soul but reconfigure the mortal shell.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Prefer to keep it as original as you can, with some functional mods that are technologically new but well hidden. I mean for example, if you'll restore the bushings to OEM, then malamang soft bushings gagamitin. But if you improve the handling, but keep it looking all original, then that's even better.

I personally don't like the full blown custom taste, the car's character disappears. Prefer to retain the vehicle's original character yet still perform as a modern car.

Your poll has no option to have both?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That is a rather difficult question.

Purists will opt to go restore all the way.
    Hot-rodders will customize to death.

Myself, I am inclined to go restomod, especially if the car isnt that rare nor special. However I am also afraid that if we customize a car too much, what may look cool today may end up baduy in a couple of decades. Who knows whether Coddington and Foose's designs will stand the test of time? But it is hard to not be tempted to do what they do, seeing those rolling works of art they create.
    So I will probably end up just restoring (with upgrades of course), then enjoyng the car and later on making her a hotrod if budget and taste dictate.

Now if it is a really rare car,it would be sacriledge to restomod it. Can you imagine restomodding a 300sl Gullwing or an original shelby cobra?
    Last edited by Chip; November 28th, 2006 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spell check

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Prefer to keep it as original as you can, with some functional mods that are technologically new but well hidden. I mean for example, if you'll restore the bushings to OEM, then malamang soft bushings gagamitin. But if you improve the handling, but keep it looking all original, then that's even better.

I personally don't like the full blown custom taste, the car's character disappears. Prefer to retain the vehicle's original character yet still perform as a modern car.

Your poll has no option to have both?
    I purposely didnt place the both option since people tend to say both.

That being said it is possible to make minor modern mods without killing the classic look and if you fall in that category as it seems then i would say classic look is where you will lean. why? not all kasi keep the cars bone stock naman since you need to source out the parts with the right numbers etc. but that doesnt mean they dont like to keep it as classic looking as possible.

maybe i should have put in the poll an additional question like "classic looks with minor mods" but it will not be the opposite for restomodders though..as in restomod looks with classic performance?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Good point, I guess I'll lean towards the classic looks (with partial restomodding, tasteful and "intelligent" mods only, of course) ;)

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hmmm.. hirap naman..
    i guess if you had the money and the imagination. restomod but with mods that really look OE..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Restore to be reliable and driveable.

Nothing too purist, nothing too extreme.

I'd still prefer having remote keyless entry and an MP3 player on the W123 since I spend a lot of time in it. Bakit ako magtitiis sa Becker casette? hahaha. Also had to hack up the rear parcel shelf to accomodate 6x9's. A subwoofer and amplifier lives in the trunk.

The W108 has keyless entry and MP3 (Blaupunkt) also.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    But isn't the purpose of restomod to have a classic looking car with modern abilities, as opposed to hot-rodding, which basically entails cutting it to bits in the name of performance and technology?

Me, I prefer functionality over form, but if you go to the trouble of restoring an old car, why ruin the looks? One of my pet dreams is to restore an old 70's Corolla or Datsun 510 to full working condition, then to beef up the suspension, double-stitch weld the frame and install plates to stiffen it up, and do a little hot-rodding under the hood. I'd keep the stock wheels and keep tires in the stock profile... hehe... I love driving cars with no grip!

In fact, I'd rip out the entire drivetrain and suspension and install a bigger engine (maybe from a Silvia?) and an independent rear end... but I wouldn't bodykit the thing, unless it was an original-style racing body kit from the 70's.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    i'll go with the second choice.

which do you prefer? restomod or restore?