New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Vios J curb weight is about 930kg

Kia Rio is about 1,100kg

Same sized cars but why is the Vios so light? and the Rio so heavy? Less/more metal? So that means the Vios is a sardines can?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    maraming factor sir. baka gawa din nang mga pang-ilalim at mga amenities- like side impact beams, pasenger cell materials. mga suspension components. materials like, sound proofing, engine displacements. etc.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, it's a company thing... god knows what all these car manufacturers base their curb weights on... the cars are either heavier or just the same weight as the quoted weights when filled with oil, coolant, gas and/or tires. The quoted weight may also be based on bare stock, with no accessories, AC or radio.

When we drove the Rio and the Vios together, I could've sworn the RIo felt much lighter than the Vios, which felt solid and heavy to drive. If you'dve asked me, I would've told you the Rio was 900 kgs and the Vios was 1000....

But one possibility is structural stiffness, crash regulations and sound insulation.

The Vios is based on a 90's Echo... 930 kgs

The City is a generation newer... 1000+ kgs

The Kia Rio is all new... 1100 kgs

A lot of new cars are really heavy compared to old ones. Just look at the Mazda3 and Focus... Consider that the Vios itself is just about as heavy as a 90's Corolla, despite looking smaller overall.
    Last edited by niky; September 25th, 2006 at 02:55 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    depende sa specs and options, yung new volkswagen golf at least 1,500kg yung curb weight.

pero mas magaling mag compute and LTO, yung focus nilalagay nila sa CR 970kg GROSS WEIGHT, 435KG CURB WEIGHT, 435KG PAYLOAD!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kia still uses a lot of steel in their components to reach the desired rigidity. The first Kia Carnivals were basically 4x2 SUV's if you looked at them from the underside.

Other automakers are more liberal in their use of other [more expensive] materials like aluminum, etc.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I never thought too much plastic can be too heavy.

About curb weights, only the manufacturers know the truth. Too bad we don't have scales to verify the mass of our vehicles.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    For me engine,safety, materials used and technology...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Kia still uses a lot of steel in their components to reach the desired rigidity. The first Kia Carnivals were basically 4x2 SUV's if you looked at them from the underside.

Other automakers are more liberal in their use of other [more expensive] materials like aluminum, etc.
    I wonder, though, if it's indicative of safety cell structure or lack of it? The US/Canadian Echo sedan is slightly heavier, at 970 kgs, but it gets four star ratings in crash tests... I wonder if the Vios body is quite as stiff?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    I never thought too much plastic can be too heavy.

About curb weights, only the manufacturers know the truth. Too bad we don't have scales to verify the mass of our vehicles.
    Here in the US there are truckstops. I think that for a fee you could actually stop and weigh your vehicle but I'm not sure as I have never tried it yet but I've seen them many times.

Yun nga lang hindi na kerb weight, more like normal use weight (with fluids, cargo, abubot, dumi, etc) hehe

The Vios probably has lighter crumple zones to better absorb energy while the Kia might have stiffer, heavier components to achieve the same rigidity like Doc Otep mentioned.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    sabi sakin nung isang guy sa kia ang mga body daw ng kia are galvanized body at mas matibay daw at hinde na kailangv ng rust proofing ang that's one reason kung bat mas mabigat daw ang body ng kia!?

anu nga ba ibig sabihin nung galvanized body?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Curb weights, weird...