New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I meant the pampasaherong jeep. My ex mentioned before wala daw handbrake yun. Naisip ko nga how do they park pag inclined area. I took his word for it na lang. hehehe.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post
    Guys, nung isang araw pag sakay ko sa jeep, I was amazed at the jeepney driver when shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd then 4th gear, hindi na nagcclutch, then I asked my friend how is that became possible, sabi niya natural lang daw yun, clutchless shifting daw ang tawag then, I just want to try it pagnagdrive ulit ako ng M/T. Ang alam ko lang kasi kapag naka-gear ka pwede munang hugutin/i-disengage agad to neutral kahit hindi tatapak ng clutch.

so, does anyone tried it before?

Yes, I have done it. It takes a bit of practice to get the timing right with the gas pedal and shifter. And you can only do it when you are on the move, minimal traffic helps.

But even with the best timing, you will crunch the gears which will lead to premature wear & tear. Each time you "crunch" the gears, it shaves off some metal filings into the gear oil. Do it often enough and your gear oil will be more metal than lubricant.

Just save this for emergency driving when your clutch pedal has failed or similar.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I meant the pampasaherong jeep. My ex mentioned before wala daw handbrake yun. Naisip ko nga how do they park pag inclined area. I took his word for it na lang. hehehe.
    nakashift sa 1st gear or other gears, yan ang handbrake nila when parking. tapos yung iba lalagyan pa ng bato.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Yes, I have done it. It takes a bit of practice to get the timing right with the gas pedal and shifter. And you can only do it when you are on the move, minimal traffic helps.

But even with the best timing, you will crunch the gears which will lead to premature wear & tear. Each time you "crunch" the gears, it shaves off some metal filings into the gear oil. Do it often enough and your gear oil will be more metal than lubricant.

Just save this for emergency driving when your clutch pedal has failed or similar.
    Second this. While it's possible to time it so that you won't get a gear crunch, you will still grind them from time to time... so they'll wear down.

On old-school rear-wheel drive diesels, the gear cogs are big and durable, so it's easy to do this... hell... the older the gearbox, the easier, as the edges of the teeth wear down over time. But with modern, compact five or six speed front-drive boxes in sedans and hatchbacks, the chances of stripping gear or synchro teeth are much higher.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Hindi ba nakakasira yun? May few instances na pag mag shift ako ng gear at di ko naapakan maigi yung clutch, ang sakit pakinggan ng tunog.

Another trivia pala, walang handbrake ang jeep. At yung view daw sa windshield very restricted. Galing nga ng jeepney driver, sana yung skills nila gamitin nila sa maayos na pagd drive.

Magaling kumadyot yung nasakyan ni Zap. Kaya pala "Basta Driver Sweet Lover" :rofl:
    oo magaling nga siya madam Cathy, gusto ko rin mag-practice para gumaling ng ganun, hehehe!!! grabe, katabi ko yung jeepney driver na yun, then pinanood ko yung driving style niya napapatulala ako nung nag-shift na siya ng gear, saka grabe kahit clutchless ang smooth ng transition ng gears niya.

and also about what you mentioned oo, restricted nga ang windshield ng jeepneys, kaya minsan mahirap makita yung ang traffic light na nakamount sa taas.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

so GH, kailangan din ng tamang RPM? I have doubt to try kasi nga baka ma-grind ko lang,

may mga instances kasi, like kapag nagddrive ako ng corolla, kapag hindi sagad sa floor yung apak ko ng clutch e parang may naririning nga akong nasabit/ weak sounds of grinding gears, may be susubukan ko muna sa multicab, nakakatakot kapag sinubukan ko sa kotse talaga e,

and also my friend mentioned when I asked him what clutchless shifting is all about, He says that it is also a lost art in driving.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Second this. While it's possible to time it so that you won't get a gear crunch, you will still grind them from time to time... so they'll wear down.

On old-school rear-wheel drive diesels, the gear cogs are big and durable, so it's easy to do this... hell... the older the gearbox, the easier, as the edges of the teeth wear down over time. But with modern, compact five or six speed front-drive boxes in sedans and hatchbacks, the chances of stripping gear or synchro teeth are much higher.
    yah, Niky you're right, at first I thought that jeep was using a dog clutch pero napansin parang hindi e, kasi nagamit din siya ng clucth pag1st gear saka mag-ddown shifts, clutchless lang pagmag-uup shift, I think that jeep was some of the first models release by lawin motors pa, luma nga yung jeep na nasakyan ko, but the transmission what the f*!!!, it was so amazing. So, now I get the special ability of the old-school trannies.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post
    so GH, kailangan din ng tamang RPM? I have doubt to try kasi nga baka ma-grind ko lang,
    Kinda. When you shift from one gear to the next gear, you have to match engine RPM with the current speed of the tranny. It also helps to momentarily unload the engine when doing it so you dont loose too much speed or momentum.

may mga instances kasi, like kapag nagddrive ako ng corolla, kapag hindi sagad sa floor yung apak ko ng clutch e parang may naririning nga akong nasabit/ weak sounds of grinding gears, may be susubukan ko muna sa multicab, nakakatakot kapag sinubukan ko sa kotse talaga e,

and also my friend mentioned when I asked him what clutchless shifting is all about, He says that it is also a lost art in driving.
    Lost art because most of us are now driving automatic tranny vehicles.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What's the point of doing this? Your car has a clutch system then better use it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    What's the point of doing this? Your car has a clutch system then better use it.
    Back when I used it, my clutch cable broke. hehehe! Hence no clutch pedal action. Before that, I tried it a few times successfully, but never had to drive through EDSA as I did when my clutch cable broke.

Generally, it saves time between shifts. Great when racing.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 26th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Great to learn for racing, because if you can rev-match well enough to do a clutchless shift, you can shift faster even with a clutch... as you:

1. Won't have to wait for engine speed and wheel speed to match after shifting.
    2. Won't experience shift-shock when shifting mid-corner, which means you won't upset the car's balance and potentially cause a spin.
    3. Won't wear down the clutch as quickly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    nakakatuwa lang kasi, parang sporty din e, kaso mukhang mahirap. It's like doin' a trick while driving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Clutchless shifting? Does anyone try it?