New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    On our homebound trip last Holy Week I happened to come across an empty black garbage bag being blown into the middle of the road. I didn't avoid it thinking it was harmless and let it go underneath the car. I didn't think much of it until I stopped at a gas station. I smelled something burning from underneath, and I found that the garbage bag has wrapped itself onto the hot exhaust pipe and was starting to melt and fuse into it.

We still had a long way to go so I left it there. At our destination the garbage bag was cooked even further. I was only able to remove a portion that was still sticking out. The rest melted into the pipe.

Yesterday I had it lifted to see if it can be removed. It seems the only way is to heat it up to make the plastic soft again and then scrape it with something. I didn't have the time or the inclination to do it so I just left it there. It seems harmless anyway, but it does look bad and for a few days it did smell of burning plastic.

So, to all motorists, think twice about plastic bags going under the vehicle while running... It may not be much of a problem with vehicles with higher clearances, but still, the draft can push the plastic up.

And if you guys have any suggestions on how to remove it, I need a little help here.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    have you tried cutting it with a sharp knife then peeling it off? or a very sharp scraper?

mas matindi pag yung plastic ay lumipad tapos bumalot sa windshield mo. nangyari sa akin yan, big plastic sheet nasagasaan ng truck na sinusundan ko, went flying up and then wrapped itself on my windshield. my speed was 75mph at the time (sa US kasi ito). wala ako makita, can't brake to a stop since there were cars behind me. may snow sa left side, ran over it then the car went 720 degrees. ended up in a ditch, but not before this 18-wheeler almost hit me while my car was turning like a top on the freeway. kakatakot.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I remember my corolla before may nasagasaan ako Box... ayun ang ingay sumasayad. dragged it for like 20 meters yata tapos natanggal yung kasunod ko naman na oto yung nabiktima sumabit din sa ilalim ng oto nya when I looked at my rearview mirror.

One time din with the same rolla... bato naman na malaki akala ko kaya since di naman lowered yung rolla ko noon..ayun..*blag yupi yung isang part ng piping ng exhaust ko

lessoned learned na hehe.. buti na lang medyo mataas ride height ng CR-V :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    while i was driving my mazda naman... may safety helmet sa gitna ng daan... akala ko kakasya... hindi pala... sumabit... tapos hindi matanggal...

naisip ko na tutal pataas ako ng floyover, baka matanggal rin yung helmet kapag may konting incline... kaya ayun... natanggal rin ang buset...

=====

sa NLEX rin dati... dinaan ko rin sa ilalim yung gulong na sira na... akala ko ala lang... nung pag silip ko sa harap na basag yung engine undercover protection...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dati sa marcos highway, may kahoy sa gitna ng kalsada, akala kolulusot sa ilalim, nde pala! tumama sa bumper ko! sakit pakinggan yung tunog, buti walang damage na nangyari.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kapag nsa probinsya....
    iwasan nyo rin yung palapa ng niyog, kumakalso yan sa may vc joint.
    at yung mga nakabilad na palay sa highway, minsan may kahoy na may pako hidden under the palay.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    sa ssh madalas may mga plastic na lumulipad, pag clear iniiwasan ko, pero minsan no choice ka and just hope na lulusot sa likod

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    i had the same experience din. bato sa gitna ng NLEX. na-yupi ang oil pan ko, buti di nabutas, kungdi overhaul aabutin ng auto ko.

reminders lang mga people, if can't contain the need for speed, then go for it. but be very extra careful sa mga nagkalat sa daan, it might be fatal if not, can cause serious injury. suggestion, always look ahead, lalo kapag medyo mabilis na ang speed, kasi we have a little time to anticipate kapag may biglang obstruction.

thanks!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Akin naman sa may magallanes paakyat ako nun eh may kahoy at lowered ako tsaka traffic kaya no choice ako kundi idaan ko dun kala ko hindi matatamaan ng ilalim ko pero nataaman pala buti na lang hindi natamaan yung mga axle boot ko atbp.
    Ang hirap pala kapag lowered...: (

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Sa akin ibang experience... Driving through flooded streets. I knew that pagdating ko sa bahay ang dami ko ng makukuhang mga plastic at kahoy underneath the pickup truck so i washed the underchassis hanggang sa makakaya ko lang. Thinking it was all clear underneath na. I went on with things. The next day when i entered sa kotse there was this awful smell of a dead thing (i thought daga) until i back the truck off and my neighbor saw wat was a tail of a CAT!!! damn the head was stuck in between the wheel and the brake. So ginawa ko pina dive ko sa nearest flooded area sa amin tsaka hataw sa mga humps. Salamat naman at nwala din. roadkill talaga.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Caution for cars, esp low riders...