New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    alam ko ung media and some foriengners...

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airshaq20
    Those are very good points, however you forgot to include the following:
    1. Engine performance - you can have the cheapest, highest quality car, with the best fuel economy, but a car needs to be a car......therefore, you need a torquey engine for the stop-and-go daily drive.

2. Brake performance - you may have everything, but you need good brakes - good brake performance may save your life.

3. Other safety devices - such as ABS, airbags, etc....its about time that Filipinos should be more concerned about safety. And for a responsible driver, a responsible parent and a responsible citizen, safety should start in our selves.

I personally agree with your comment but engine performance and brake performance would likely be out from my list. I don't really think that you need a torquey V6 engine when you are forever stuck in Manila Traffic nor you need a very fast car over the countryside roads due to numerous potholes, unlighted streets and unjustifiably sharp highway curves. Although I am aware that there are already freeways in Luzon, but just how many speeds up for a mere 40KM(?) freeway?

For Brake performance, I don't even think of it as a basis to judge a good car per se, if you can't even go faster than 80km/hr. I think most of the modern vehicles are equipped with the same braking technology. Unlike difference in engines that would make a lot of difference in car's performance, braking technology hasn't changed for a decade except probably for those exotic, luxury cars.

As for safety, I agree with you. I thought about it but I missed out when I wrote my posting. Of the three choices have seatbelts. Except REVO, the other two had Air Bags. Although Anti-lock Braking Sytem is important, under Philippine weather condition you can still be safe even without ABS when one operates the vehicle with care. ABS makes a vehicle more expensive. You might probably say: "BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE THOSE SAFETY DEVICES". Then again, that's you talking and not the rest of the 30 million filipinos on the road who can barely afford a second-hand vehicle.

I thought of those categories by picturing A FILIPINO LIFESTYLE or How a filipino family use their vehicles or where do they travel and how much they travel in a month and on what type of road they pass, how much is a typical filipino family able to afford for a trip and the vehicle's significant impact on the filipino way of life. Those kinds of things. After all, PHILIPPINE CAR OF THE YEAR is what we are judging (not AMERICAN or JAPANESE Car of the year), isn't it?
    Last edited by cyberdoc95; February 26th, 2005 at 08:13 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    May nanalo na ba? please post results pagna-release na....Thanks

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    anong car kaya ang nanalo?
    Signature

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    yung Accord yata (V6). parang nakita ko sa inquirer. media choice yung mazda 3.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    thats unexpected hehe..

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Ok na rin ang choice nila coz you can never go wrong with HONDA. But I just find it ironic that in a country complaining of even a slight increase of gasoline prices, would choose a car with a V6 engine as the Car of the Year. Just doesn't make sense to me.

AGAIN, this is just my personal opinion and of course, different yung criteria nila. Maybe mainly mechanical and performance lang ang judging nila and they didn't have taken into consideration the filipino way of life. Kung sa America nga, HYBRID car ang naging CAR OF THE YEAR and FORD EVEREST as THAILAND 2004 Car of the year, both of which are geared toward saving from gasoline, while sa Pilipinas naman ay kotseng may V6 engine....he he he... Nakakatuwa..Parang totally disconnected yata...

And on top of that, with only less than 20% of completed infrastructure in the Philippines, I doubt if filipinos would drive their ACCORDS to the dirty streets of towns and distant farms...He he he...

Parang kulang yata ang Title ng award. Dapat ay: "PHILIPPINE ELITES' CAR OF THE YEAR" ang title noon kasi ang mga selected few lang naman ang nakaka-afford nitong P1.4M na kotse.
    Last edited by cyberdoc95; February 27th, 2005 at 11:44 AM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    onga naging mdyo performance oriented

9. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    nakita ko sa inquirer,
    best van-people carrier - starex
    best AUV - mit. adventure
    best pick up - ford ranger
    best super mini - vios
    best light SUV - xtrail
    best full size SUV -trailblazer
    best luxury sedan - volvo s80
    best ultra luxury sedan - BMW745li
    best executive sedan - accord
    best sports compact - lynx
    media choice award - mazda3
    car of the year - accord 3 liter V6

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Vios, accord v6 and Mazda 3????? yahoooooooo!!!!!!! Well, yes, was able to drive these cars and they deserve it!!!!! :jump2:

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Car Of The Year Philippines (COTY)