New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    Hi Tsikot peeps,

Probably first time ko mag post dito, if may similar thread or incorrect sub forum ako please point me to the right direction.

I am badly struggling in deciding which path to go, if 2nd hand unit ba or brand new. Both has it's pros and cons and up till now hindi pa din ako sure kung ano dapat ko gawin.

Here is the situation:

* I currently have an old 97 Honda city which I plan to sell first then replace it with a new/2nd hand car.
    * dati naman ako sanay mag commute but having a car started to be a necessity to myself and specially now that I am expecting my first baby.
    * My wife and myself agreed that if we are to get a brand new car, we can segregate 19,000 pesos of our monthly budget for 3 years for the monthly amortization ng kotse.
    * If brand new, I am planning on getting either a base Honda city 2014, a vios or ecosport. Comparison of the 3 might be for a different topic but if you have opinions about this I would love to hear them if possible
    * Of course consideration of 2nd hand unit is part of the plan because let's say we just pay a monthly amort of 10-13k for 3 years instead of 19-20k, eh di Malaki matitipid namen which we could use somewhere else (savings, insurance, etc).

Brand new (in my opinion)
    * pros - sympre alam mong alaga mo dahil ikaw unang owner and for the first 3 years walang issue sa maintenance or whatnot.
    * cons - Of course much more costly than a 2nd hand unit. takot ako magasgasan specially walang sariling parking, sa side street (maluwag) lang ako mg park which is sun exposed during 11am-3pm.

2nd hand unit(imo ulet)
    * pros - much cheaper. I guess that's it.
    * cons - higher risk of hidden defects and potential issue with papers.

Since I live in antipolo, I would like to have a 1.5 engine unit (2nd hand or brand new) para mejo malakas ang hatak at the same time could be a fuel saver compared to bigger engines.

* I have read the issue with PS Bank is this still a current problem with their repo cars? plano ko din kasi tumingin dun.

Thanks Tsikot.com

2. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Ok ang 2nd hand pag cash buyer ka. Pero pag iloloan mo yan, malaki interest ng used car kaysa brand new

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    kung walang parking na maayos.. sayang lang ang brand new car..

i also agree mataas ang interest rates nang loan for 2nd hand car..

4. Join Date
    Jun 2013

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    This is my take on the topic...

Cash basis sana as much as possible.

Kung kaya itabi muna yung pera to get a better model car mas ok.

Since magkakababy na kayo, marami Unforseen expense Lalo sa baby... Check up, supplies, etc.

I would rather be liquid for now and hold on to your city. Get it as much road worthy as possible then after 5 years or so na talagang maluwag na expense, then Palit.

That's just me... Pero kung ang tanong 2nd hand or brand new... Brand new na.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    agree on above..

cash --> 2nd hand
    financing --> brand new

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    hintayin munang lumabas si baby bago bumili ng bagong sasakyan hindi mo alam kung kelan ka gagastos ng malaki lalo na pag first baby extra alaga talaga yan

8. Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Consider how soon darating si baby, if 6 months to go pa you can go and (1) sell your current car and (2) buy a brand new one.

On the topic of buying a brand new car, you must consider the primary purpose of that car: is it entirely for your consumption (going to work) or for family.

If you can spare 19K a month, I strongly suggest you do not put it wholly on the brand new car. 60% of it maybe and the rest for your baby. Mind you mga bakuna pa lang ni bebe sa first year nia malulula ka na sa presyo and if you miss one at nalusutan ka ng sakit, mas malaki gagastusin mo kahit may HMO ka pa.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App for iPad

9. Join Date
    May 2011
    salamat sa responses, i guess you guys are right when you mentioned that i should wait for the baby so we can see what recurring expenses are we going to have prior to getting a new car.

actually naisip ko din ung sabi ni archie, ok pa naman takbo nung city naiirita lang ako sa kalampag but engine performs well pa din naman and the ac is still ok. iniisip ko pagawa ko nalang si city then antayin ko nalang hangang sa bumigay na sya in maybe 3-4 years time since she is currently at 156k odo reading (not sure sa lifespan ng mga oto if may specific odo reading where it just stops or it is variable to usage).

10. Join Date
    May 2011
    baby will be out next month na pala forgot to mention

usage of the car will be mixed personal and family use. balak ko kasi mg kotse ng MWF then commute nalang ung T-TH then usual weekend trips lang.

btw, i live in antipolo which is 20-21km away (one way) to the fort so baka isa pa un sa deciding factor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Brand new versus 2nd hand cars