New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    surprising rankings in the latest Car & Driver compact-car comparison test (which is the first to feature the 2003 Corolla, 2001 Civic, and 2003 Lancer)... the Civic is down to 5th place, the Sentra is down to 8th place (out of 10), and the Elantra is up to 2nd

the cars are mostly mid-range, manual transmission models.

1st place: Mazda Protege LX (Ford Lynx here) 2.0L
    2nd place: Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0L
    3rd place: Toyota Corolla LE 1.8L
    4th place: Ford Focus SE 2.0L
    5th place: Honda Civic LX 1.7L
    6th place (tie): Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Racing Rally Edition 2.0L
    6th place (tie): Dodge Neon SXT 2.0L
    8th place: Nissan Sentra GXE 2.0L
    9th place: Suzuki Aerio GS
    10th place: Kia Spectra LS 1.8L

according to car & driver, the corolla had the quickest acceleration of the pack, the most luxurious interior, and one of the most spacious back seats. the Protege was the most fun to drive.

the Civic was the most fuel-efficient (tied with the corolla) and was more fun to drive than the corolla... the civic was ranked 5th because of poor build quality and a relative lack of refinement.

the full story is available at www.caranddriver.com

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    cooool!!!! :D number 1 mazda protege!!! :D
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'm not that surprised. although in other US magazine compact car comparisons i've read, the sentra came out on top.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    exactly... i didn't really expect the sentra to land at the bottom, and the civic to place just mid-pack

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what no ECHO???????:roll:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmm... interesting... :roll:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    duhhh?!?!?!!!

pde na din :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm not surprised that the Protege came out on top.

These car magazines almost always place handling above all other car traits.

If you look at the other reviews of car magazines other than C&D, they almost always seem to rave about the Protege's handling and driveability, but then always manage to lament its lack of "power".

I am however, quite surprised that Hyundai managed to outdo the Corolla. The Korean's are definitely getting into the game.

Which, in the end, is probably good for everyone. A little competition is always good for us consumers.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, the Mazda Protege won ALL of C&D's econocar comparison-tests over the past 3 or so years... and the Mazda Protege MP3 won C&D's sport compact sedan comparo, and the Mazda Protege5 wagon won C&D's sportwagon comparo (man, they really love it don't they??)

imo, ultimately, power matters little if the car doesn't feel good in your hands

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    imo, ultimately, power matters little if the car doesn't feel good in your hands
    Totally agree with you on this one, mbt!

Here is a link to a very interesting Road & Track article advocating the handling prowess of the Mazda MP3.

To be compared with cars like the BMW M3 and a Corvette is quite an achievement, considering the MP3's econobox roots.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features/articleDisplay.asp?articleID=220

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Surprise rankings in 11/02 Car&Driver small-car comparo