New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Komusta na mga kababayan! This site is really informative, and I have been reading different post all day long. I am trying to get more information so my wife and I can make a decision on what vehicle to buy. Hopefully, you guys can help us.

Here's the background. We live in California and make it a point to visit family there yearly. Mainly stay in Ilocos after quick shopping trip around Manila malls in the day of our arrival. Vehicles avilable in Philippines are not so similar to the ones we see here so we need first hand info from owners/drivers. On previous vacations we used our family's old Nissan Vannette, but it has seen better days. Our next planned vacation is end of the year, and we will be bringing along our newborn baby. Hence, the decision to buy a new ride. Don't want to get stuck on the side of the road in a broken down van with a baby that is not used to the different climate/temperature, etc.

Our budget is around 850-900k. I was looking into different post about Mitsubishi adventure or crosswind, but my in-laws just told us on the phone that there's not much room especially for a 5'11" - 250lb guy like me , wife, baby, and lots of luggage. Specifically, there's not gonna be much legroom for me behind the wheel. I often drive around when were in the province during vacation.

Now we are wondering what you guys can recommend. with regards to cargo room, the Adventure type AUV's should still be ok since you can add a roof cargo rack (whatever is the term they use there). We are more concerned about the number of people it can comfortable seat, interior comfort, size (leg room, head room, etc.), and of course body and engine durability. Diesel is preferred.

By the way, what's the common rates on car loan financing there?

Sorry if the post is too long. I wanted to give as much info as I can so you can narrow your suggestions.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    For vans, you can check ut the Toyota Avanza (7 seater) or Suzuki APV (8 seater). Both are gasoline pwered.

For AUVs you are limited to the base model of the ancient Mitsu Adventure, Isuzu Crosswind and the more recent Toyota Innova.

New SUVs will be out of your budget.

Just do a search for the above models. They have been disscussed over and over and some even have their own threads.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    'di kaya masyado nang maliit ang Avanza? And they also do not have a Diesel trim as far as I know, best bet I think is the Adventure but if you're willing to veer in to petrol version, I think the Innova is better. OK rin ang crosswind if you do not mind the engine vibration. Kagandahan lang sa Adventure proven na ang 4D56 engine niya, tapos pag nasa loob ka 'di mo dinig ang ingay ng diesel engine masyado...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    methinks you'd be much happier in an innova.

other ride to consider:

within your budget:

kia pregio -- fits your budget, dunno about ride quality

1m and up:
    kia sedona
    hyundai starex
    nissan urvan
    toyota previa(insanely priced, imho)
    toyota hiace

you can check out motioncars.com's Car Chart, that should give you an idea on what choices you have.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kulang budget at 900k...starex ang the best.

if you don't mind the fuel...go for a secondhand Ford E150...runs about P600k ang secondhand nito.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Starex is the best choice for you.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    kulang budget at 900k...starex ang the best.

if you don't mind the fuel...go for a secondhand Ford E150...runs about P600k ang secondhand nito.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    The Starex is the best choice for you.
    Sir, I am with this two users.

STAREX is the Best for You! No problem with the quality of Hyundai's nowadays. They are dependable and reliable. Very good space for you in the front and lots of space for your baby to hide in the back. You can choose either 9 or 12 seater depends on your needs. I have a friend OFW in China. He uses his Starex everytime he visits Philippines every 4 months or every 1 year, no problem. Naka casa. Last time they were here, they went to Bicol then Bora still no problem. And the best part of the Starex is that it has a cool aircon. No problem with your baby since its very cold inside.

If you cant afford the CRDi Starex which is about 1M go for a second hand, a well maintained Starex even if its not CRDi should serve you a happy dad.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    :groupwave: Thanks for all your suggestions! That link to pricelist is very helpful since those dealer websites usually don't post any pricing info.

The suggestions actually match our current considerations. The top of our list is the Toyota Innova for under 1m. And the Hyundai Starex is our top choice for over 1m. We have heard so much horror stories from relatives and friends (Pinas and here) regarding used cars. But that does not mean its out of our consideration. Can you guys recommend a reputable used car dealership there?

We are actually hoping to afford something over 1m if we finance the transaction. Can anyone mention how much is the average car loan rate there? It will be nice to know and it helps in decision making.

Salamat ulit!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoy_cal View Post
    :groupwave: Thanks for all your suggestions! That link to pricelist is very helpful since those dealer websites usually don't post any pricing info.

The suggestions actually match our current considerations. The top of our list is the Toyota Innova for under 1m. And the Hyundai Starex is our top choice for over 1m. We have heard so much horror stories from relatives and friends (Pinas and here) regarding used cars. But that does not mean its out of our consideration. Can you guys recommend a reputable used car dealership there?

We are actually hoping to afford something over 1m if we finance the transaction. Can anyone mention how much is the average car loan rate there? It will be nice to know and it helps in decision making.

Salamat ulit!
    sir, 2nd cars aren't really bad. Just be careful to inspect and choose the car you are choosing in the ads. Tell your relatives to bring their trusted mechanic with them when checking out the car. You could also download some tips and checklist in the internet for buying used cars. If the owner has records of the cars history, then that would be really good. You can also try to check out his other cars (if there is one) so that you can really see if he is telling the truth about the care and health of his automobiles.

With regards to the to finance schemes. I really dont know. Sorry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AUV, SUV, or Van recommendation please!