New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Regarding lowering your car, would it be advisable to lower your car by moving the plate (part of the shocks) holding your coil spring downward. Cut the plate then weld it to the lower portion of the shocks. Someone is offering to this job for only PHP1400 for four tires. What do you think about the idea. :?:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede pala galawin yung plate na yun? hhmmm. Dati pina cut ko yung springs ko. Hindi by welding ha, hindi pwede yun, magiging brittle yung metal.

suggestion ko. Save enough money to buy lowering springs, maski 2nd hand lang. Ang talbog ng cut springs.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    moving the "plate" is a bad idea. The shockabsorber cylinder will be damaged by the heat of welding when the plate is welded back on it. And I will not trust the welding to last very long before cracks or rust will make it fail.

Also with stock springs and a "moved" plate, the suspension will still travel the same distance up and down but the clearance is less so the chance of the car bottoming out is 100% everytime you hit that big bump in the road. A lowering spring is stiffer because your car's suspension has less clearance needing less travel.

Save your money and buy a proper set of lowering springs... new or used.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i agree with the others--- get them drop coils instead... in effect you'll save more money in the long run instead of cutting your springs or adjusting the plate.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not advisable... It might be cheaper for now but in the long run there will be safety and longevity concerns. As Ghosthunter mentioned, i also wont expect the weld to last, especially on a vital/stressed part like the suspension.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    palagat nating naka ligtas sa damage ang shock cylinder, delikado pa ding matagatag yung plate na yon over time 8O delikado!!! lalo na sa lubak, mas matinding damage makukuha mo

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Thanks guys the inputs. Probably I'm going to save my money for the lowering spring instead of that stuff. Thanks again. :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    an alternative is to get coil-overs. These look like a cylinder with screw threads around it. A "plate" or spring-perch screws up and down over the cylinder. There is a lock-screw which would hold the spring-perch in place once you have decided how low you want to be. Often, these would come with a set of springs too or you can use your stock springs.

To use this on your stock shocks, just insert the cylinder over your stock shocks. You might need to cut off the original spring perches though.

IMHO, it'll be better to buy a set of lowering springs.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    base sa pagbasa ko sa first post ni cloostermans, it looks like he is on a tight budget kaya naghahanap nga ng alternative sa lowering springs. So, a coil-over is not as practical as cloostermans wants. 8)

I think to stay within your budget, you are better off getting the "sleeve-over" , often mistaken and called as, 'coil-over'

a full coil-over:
    http://www.pbase.com/wrxplosive/wrx

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ilang inches ba drop? if 1 inch 0 1,5 lang ok pa din stock shocks kung more you need to change the shocks as well. if on a tight budget you can buy a new spring that is oem but for a different car it should be shorter than yours. new because a surplus spring might give you a mismatch height it will only cost about 500 php each + install. make sure it is of same spring wire diameter w/ 1 less turn para medyo stiff.

Cut springs is NOT a problem if you know what you are doing. Computed mo dapat how many % ang dagdag na stiffnes as you lessen the turn. in my case 1 turn less is still ok resulting in about 10% added stiffness and lowered by 1.5 in. just be sure to add rubber insulators para di lumangitngit cut ends. by the way cit it using grinder fittted with unicut.

Anyone of you have done this? Need your insights.