New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Hi,

I've seen from a lot of posts that "Hyundai Getz 1.5 Crdi Diesel" is fuel efficient and has powerful torque, considering that it is a mini-car.

They say it gets this power due to a Turbo diesel, called "Turbo Intercooler with Variable Geometry Turbocharger" though to be honest I don't know what this means. I guess this simply means more acceleration at a lesser time???

But I also read that this Turbo part could be a main concern for maintenance, as it gradually breaks down without proper "warming-up and cooling-down" routine. Can anyone confirm this? Turbo issue aside, do diesel cars have lower maintenance cost compared to its gas counterparts? (specially after 3-5 yrs?)

Also, does hyundai offer good aftersales service?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Turbo Intercooler with Variable Geometry Turbocharger"
    Turbo-there is a turbo
    Intercooler-there is an intercooler
    VGT-the turbo can adjust itself to make boost pressure early in the rev range (minimize turbo lag) but still have enough pressure to make top end power.

(Sort of like holding your thumb against the garden hose to make water go farther in case water pressure is low and removing your thumb when there is sufficient pressure already).

Generally (at least for me), diesels are quite idiot proof to maintain. Just do a good cooldown after a hard run. You don't need to warm it up. Just drive gently for the first few kms. Diesels don't have spark plugs, contact points, condensers, distributors, high tension wires, etc. Just replace fluids and filters at specified intervals.

Recalibration of the injection pump is only required when there are sympots of loss of power, increase fuel consumption, increased emissions, etc. My Pajero has gone 10 years without having the need for recalibration.

Aftersales is dependent on the dealer itself. There are good Hyundai dealers and there are bad ones too.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post

Generally (at least for me), diesels are quite idiot proof to maintain. Just do a good cooldown after a hard run.
    Otep newcome din ako sa ride na diesel engine

1. how do you cooldown?

2. Pag full U turn ako from full stop hirap umandar wala hatak do you experience same problem?

Thnx

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I just drive slowly when I'm near my destination. If I have come from a long trip or a high speed run, I idle it for a minute or two before shutting down.

No experience on #2 yet.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Salamat Otep. Meron ba dito thread that focus on diesel engine maintenance tips for Izuzu. Halo halo yun mga na browse ko sana yun tipong Q&A site. Tnx and regards.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yun getz and sta fe crdi namin, wala pa naman known issues. under warranty pa kasi eh

regarding naman cooling down, I have to admit yun sa intercooler strada ko that I have used for 6 years now, never ko ina-apply yan, cooling down and idle muna for 3 mins before turning off engine. I used it like a petrol car.

wala din naman naging problema.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, most engines today can do without a 'formal' cooldown. It's just a precaution.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    ... Diesels don't have spark plugs, contact points, condensers, distributors, high tension wires, etc. Just replace fluids and filters at specified intervals.

Recalibration of the injection pump is only required when there are sympots of loss of power, increase fuel consumption, increased emissions, etc. My Pajero has gone 10 years without having the need for recalibration...
    Thanks Otep, I guess this means diesel vehicles are simpler, and consequently cheaper to maintain than gas ones. This is great since we would like to have a car that will have low maintenance cost and longer use (like probably in the range of 10 years, and hopefully more).

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    ... regarding naman cooling down, I have to admit yun sa intercooler strada ko that I have used for 6 years now, never ko ina-apply yan, cooling down and idle muna for 3 mins before turning off engine. I used it like a petrol car.

wala din naman naging problema.
    Thanks Oldblue, so I guess "cooling down" is really not a big concern, but I am more of a worrying-type, so if we will get a diesel Getz, I guess I'll try to make "cooling down" a habit, just for precaution, like Otap said

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks Otep, I guess this means diesel vehicles are simpler, and consequently cheaper to maintain than gas ones.
    I really wouldn't know. All my daily drivers have been [and will probably always be] diesel. Go diesel! :D

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think maintenance is relatively the same. There are more things to replace on a gas engine, but you can run longer service intervals with modern gas engines as compared to diesels.

It evens out in the long run... of course, a diesel will usually be cheaper in terms of fuel per kilometer, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Any issues on Getz maintenance yet?