New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    From Inq7.net

FORMER Asian Institute of Management (AIM) president Felipe Alfonso should take crash lessons in Scam 101.

The Ramon Magsaysay Award winner is now the object of a P28.5-million collection complaint after he entrusted four pre-signed blank checks to a smooth-talking car salesman whose family he had wanted to give a second chance.

According to the legal grapevine, Alfonso thought that the blank checks that he handed to a certain Anthony Bitanga of the Corinthian Gardens subdivision would go toward posting bonds related to alleged court cases in Batangas province involving Alfonso.

It turned out that there was no Batangas judge, and, worse, that Alfonso had no pending cases in the province at all.

Instead, his checks were used to acquire three high-end, brand-new luxury vehicles -- a Lamborghini Murcielago, a BMW 645 Ci, and a BMW X3.

Of the four Alfonso checks, the first one, for P4 million, cleared, and went to pay for the X3. The three others bounced.

Alfonso has sought the help of Interior and Local Governments Secretary Angelo Reyes, an alumnus of the AIM, to recover his money and clear his name.

As well, Alfonso has hired lawyer Reynaldo Geronimo of the blue-chip Romulo Mabanta law firm in view of the impending "estafa" [swindling] complaint against him, as the car dealer who had been paid the bouncing checks, Rolando Evangelista, is now running after both Alfonso and Bitanga.

"I have received extortion attempts to cough up [the] money, just to retrieve the cars and return them to the unpaid owner," Alfonso said in his letter to Reyes.

Strangely, Alfonso, who is also the vice chairman of Metropolitan Bank and Trust Co., in charge of the risk management committee, gave Evangelista the green light after the car dealer, suspicious as to the amount and the number of checks, called him to countercheck.

Apparently, Alfonso, who admitted to talking to Evangelista on the phone, did not know that the checks were being used by Bitanga to acquire the exotic vehicles.

According to the grapevine, Alfonso trusted Bitanga, who is said to be in his late 20s, despite already having been traumatized in another case by Bitanga's father, after the young Bitanga personally apologized to Alfonso in behalf of his dad.

Incidentally, the elder Bitanga was an AIM student, like Evangelista, the car dealer.

Meanwhile, the X3 SUV has been seen being used by Bitanga himself, and the 645 Ci is reportedly in the hands of another car dealer, Rolando Esguerra of Quezon City.

The yellow Murcielago, according to the grapevine, is now being driven around by a certain JP Lomotan, who claimed he had paid Bitanga P7 million for the exotic super car.

If the amount is correct, that P7 million is a bargain, considering that the 6.2-liter, V12-engine, 580-bhp, two-door sports coupe, capable of reaching speed of more than 330 kph, costs about $195,000 overseas, or more than P10.9 million, without taxes and freight charges yet.

But that, as well as who actually imported the three vehicles, is another story.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I have a weird feeling that all three parties were involved.

Bitanga, the dealer who sold him the cars, and probably the dude he's got the car consigned to.

But 7 million for a Murciellago is indeed a bargain.

Show of Receipts PLEASE!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    he should have known better not to give out blank cheques

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    wow 7m for a murci is cheap!! congrats to the buyer! nice buy... although sana hindi na i -reposess... lol

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hey, i've met this Boy Evangelista a few yrs back. That time he was utilizing a very old small house near e.rodriguez. But as the rusted gate opened, WOW Puro modelong BMW's, and Benz's sports/luxury/suvs nakita ko. Kilalang kilala si Boy sa mga rich n famous people dahil sila ang mga monthly customers niya.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    wow 7M for a Lambo Murcialago!?! damn! that is super bargain. 7M won't even get you a Gallardo or a Porsche Turbo

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    i thought issuing of blank checks is only done in the movies! but for it to be done by no less than a former president of AIM..........hmmmmm

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Baka secondhand yun... atsaka downpayment. :D

I can't believe Alfonso would be that stupid... and then to clear the checks after talking to Evangelista... I'm pretty sure he told Alfonso what they were being used for...

What a mess.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i know some of these car dealers... actually my dad knows them better... hehehe... kaso ayoko itanong sa dad ko... hehehe...

grabe sila kung bumili ng auto ah parang hindi naghihirap ang bansa... sabagay yun ibang mga politiko rin naghiraman ng sl500 pati sl55...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Wow kaingit naman niyan at swerte naman niya..:D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AIM High, sell low, someone's driving in a hotter than hot yellow Mucielago...