New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    I went to this canao in our province when I stumbled on this '66 Camaro, the owner estimates it to be. I'm not sure too if it is 1966 or so. The car's interior is screwed but he engine looks great, rust here and there but hell, it's a bloody V8! The carb is exposed, covered in plastic, to keep the dust out I reckon. It has a T shaped roof, those detachable ones, they're missing though. The grill is quite shot. The floor has holes in the foot wells. Doors work. Dash is screwed though. Guages are missing and all. Transmission according to the owner is original and still works. Body color is red, but it looks orange, maybe because of it's age. I didn't ask if its the original paint. Some rust have eaten through the panels. Door trim is still there. Bumpers still has its chrome luster. Seats need new upholstery, back seat is ok though. It's a major restoration job. Bad news is he doesn't want to sell it, not even for 200 grand; his dad gave it to him. The owner now sez he's the 5th person to own this great machine. Asked him about the papers, they're gone he said, last time it ran on the roads was in 1980, then it was parked since then.Under the sky then moved to a garage where it sits there now. Just imagine, an old car smoking those civics and corollas of today, maybe even those 2 liter sedans! Now that's power!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    we have a '75 chevrolet camaro, V8 din and now just uses a 2 barrel rochester carb. yung holley na 4 barrel ay tinaggal muna at nasa box lang kac nga matakaw sa gas. it has d usual rust sa body n will need a new carpet.d engine is ok naman but d fuel gauge is broken. tsaka d starter/flywheel system is screwed up, i tink may nabungi na gear e. i reckon na di kasing dugo ng restoration ng '66 camaro na nakita mo.interested? :D

3. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    momoyster,
    You definitely have a rocket there! Right now, I don't have the dough now , I was just testing the waters when I asked the owner if he was selling the car. I jokingly started at 30k then moved up the ladder, of course, I realized that he wasn't selling it when I reached 80k, then I jumped tol the 200k mark to exagerrate the price. still a no. Dream on Ibaloi!:roll:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wow! monster nga yang V8! pero kapatid, why Civic and Corolla lang ang gusto mong pulbusin? Having that bad ass V8, you gotta raise your standards bro, at least. Old car smoking Civic/Corollas, are you sure hindi mo rebuilt yung engine? I'm sure to keep that '66 running and possibly smoke some cars is to get some parts like Optimax Re-chipped ECU, Piper RP4 Camshaft or Piper 285 Cam, Piper Hi Rev. Lifters and Duplex Vernier Timing Set, Mallory Ignition Weber 500 Carb system, Starter, Alternator, Pulleys etc.

Chevy didnt make a 1966 Camaro, 1967 was the first production date.

MD 283 V8 manual 4-speed
    MJ 283 V8 Powerglide automatic
    MO 302 V8 manual 4-speed
    MP 302 V8 manual 4-speed, A.I.R. injection
    MA 327 V8 manual 3\4-speed
    MB 327 V8 manual 3\4-speed, A.I.R injection
    ME 327 V8 Powerglide automatic
    MF 327 V8 Powerglide automatic, A.I.R. injection
    MK 327 V8 4-BBL manual 3\4 speed
    ML 327 V8 4-BBL manual 3\4 speed, A.I.R. injection
    M 327 V8 4-BBL Powerglide automatic
    MN 327 V8 4-BBL Powerglide automatic, A.I.R. injection
    MS 350 V8 manual 3\4 speed
    MT 350 V8 manual 3\4 speed, A.I.R
    MU 350 V8 Powerglide automatic
    MV 350 V8 Powerglide automatic, A.I.R. injection
    MQ 396 V8 (375 HP) manual 4 speed
    MR 396 V8 (375 HP) manual 4 speed, A.I.R. injection
    MW 396 V8 (325 HP) manual 3\4 speed
    MX 396 V8 (325 HP) manual 3\4 speed, A.I.R. injection
    MY 396 V8 (325 HP) Turbo Hydromatic
    MZ 396 V8 (325 HP) Turbo hydromatic, A.I.R. injection
    Sadly, those HP numbers taken back in the days, does not equate the standard horsepower measurements nowadays. Take the 1970 Dodge Charger for example. it's 318 engine was rated in 1970 at 230 horsepower (SAE gross). But on the dyno it came just short of 150 horsepower (corrected rear-wheel). Where did that 80 horsepower go? Roughly 20% of it went to turning the drivetrain. That puts it at somewhere around 188 SAE net horsepower (or to use American manufacturers' penchant for rounding up, 190). But since the factory number uses SAE gross, there's another 20% difference. And that puts us at 235 horsepower, just about where it needs to be. It all adds up, and the same engine can have an 80 hp difference through no other fault than the means by which the power is measured.

Things get real interesting when the numbers don't add up. Dyno testing proved that General Motors was lying about the low horsepower numbers in the F-body when compared to the same engine in the Y-body. Hot Rod magazine gathered a collection of performance cars and dyno tested them for the May 1998 issue. They found 292 rwhp for a Firebird Trans Am and 286 rwhp for a Corvette. The slight difference between the cars is likely due to varying build tolerances; certainly not enough to say one engine's design is notably different from the other's. Either way, the LS1 is looking at about 340 SAE net horsepower in 1998, nearly on the money for the Corvette's factory rating (345) but way aboveboard for the Firebird's (305). By comparison, the 1998 SVT Mustang Cobra was also rated at 305 horsepower but on the dyno it only delivered 257 rwhp -- just right for a 15% powertrain loss. And the chart on this Camaro page seems to support the underrating of the F-body cars by looking at the performance numbers it posts compared to other vehicles with higher rated horsepower (and higher price tags). In this case, the vapor horsepower is the power loss from when the SAE net horsepower was converted into ad copy.
    In short, those HP numbers you see back in the days were SAE Gross Horsepower. This is the old process that American manufacturers used as a guide for rating their cars. This is the bare engine with nothing but the absolute essentials attached to it; little more than a carb, fuel pump, oil pump, and water pump.

Wow, a definite rocket BARE engine :lol:

Of course V8 nowadays are powerful because they were rated, tested, and dynoed correctly.

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Great info there Karding thanks! Lemme do a li'l research on that camaro and find out what era did that thing come from. BTW, it has a 3 speed transmission.

'66 Small Block V8 Camaro