New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    i am thinking of getting a new prado and was offered a 4 cylinder gas model. would like some advice on this. ty.

ok ba ang parts availability? could it be underpowered?

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    I have the same 4-banger in my 96' SURF/4 RUNNER, the 3RZ-FE! It's an excellent engine for everyday driving and strong enough for occasional off-roading just as long as you won't tow a boat or something as heavy. It's very economical (22-24 mi./gal. mixed hiway and city), reliable (just change oil regularly, every 10,000 kms. for me) and bullet-proof! Its also the same engine on the TACOMA Pre-runners in the US, and the Hilux here in New Zealand and in Australia! Go for it! you wont regret it!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    thanks for the input. engine sounds kind of dated though, almost 10 years old. they must have a lot of faith in it.

question now is; are there a lot of differences in the parts used in gas and diesel variants, since only diesel is available locally.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The whole engine is different. But for the rest of the vehicle, most of it will be similar.

Madami din naman parts for 4 cylinder Prados sa Banawe and other third-party sellers.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    Yup, the engine is a bit dated but as you have said , it's really reliable! Some of the 4runners and Tacomas in the US have like 200 k miles on their rig with no major problems and maintained with just regular oil changes! And I forgot to mention that It's also chain-drive so you wont have to worry about belts breaking and destroying yor engine. And you can always install a TRD supercharger if you really want speed:D

4 cylinder prado