New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Hi all,

I'm considering to buy a used Explorer, and did some research to get a good deal. Am surprised to find out that Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer depreciates very quickly, much faster relative to other similar luxury SUVs, as follows (these are averages, give or take a few thousands):

Brand new 2012 model: P2.3 million
    One year old 2011 model: P1.9M
    Two year old 2010 model: 1.5M
    Three year old 2009 model: 1.1M
    Four year old 2008 model: P800k
    Five year old 2007 model: P650k
    Six year old 2006 model: P500k
    And so on...

Any idea or thoughts on this? I really like it pa naman, it's looks and it's entertainment theater system with dolby digital. I asked one car buyer/dealer what is appraised value of Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2008 with average mileage casa maintained and flood/accident free, and he said P550k only. I was surprised with this figure, but found it to be more or less same figure from other car dealers.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Typically, Gas guzzling vehicles lose a lot in depreciation.
    Explorer and Expeditions are in this category.

Just look at those 2.0L and above gasoline "common" cars. Same issue with depreciation.

Big diesel ones, have it better.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Expensive to maintain, and low demand in second hand market.

At a time when lower priced vehicles are boasting of amenities once deemed luxurious, these urban behemoths are becoming rather endangered out of the sheer value their perceived opulence can't muster.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    basically:

- high fuel consumption, resulting in low demand.
    - high maintenance costs.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Reasons - gas, high maintenance, short supply of spare parts

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    It's simply because the 2012-2013 models are much much more superb than the 2011 & older model.
    If you get to compare the 2013 (now release) model with the older once, you'll not even bother to buy
    a the old models, that is if you have the means. Even if your in a tight budget, you will still have 2nd thought
    in buying old model compared it with the latest model.

Why Ford Explorer Depreciates So Fast??? Your thoughts...