New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ok rainy season is just around the corner so it is best to know what to do ( or not to do) in situations like this

UNDERSTAND YOUR VEHICLE- knowing your vehicles lowest point of clearance

WATER FORDING-it is essential to check the depth of the water to be crossed. Ensure your exists is clear and easy to drive.Use low gear and enter the water slowly, maintain speed steadily to build up bow wave, Once across remember braking efficency will be impaired until brakes dry out.

DONT TOUCH THAT CLUTCH- as much as possible dont shift gear during crossing just let it crawl, as slow as practical but as fast as needed (make sense to me)

and as always.. When in doubt...DON'T

OTEP

i leave the other tips sa ating gurus ( yan lang kasi ang nasa isip ko ngayon)
    Last edited by kimpOy; May 26th, 2007 at 11:41 PM.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    I experienced water fording in SSS village going to it's Antipolo gate and dang! The Adventure's tail floated and the rear tires lost grip,anyway just sharing.

That time I was following a starex, mind your plates, the water bouncing off my bumper ripped my license plates while the front license plates of the starex was gone, their stop-for-front-license-plate-check gave me an idea to check mine as well. Having that said that I'm following them if incase there will be a necessity for you to brake and disengage the tranny, try to rev the engine slightly to keep it alive in deep water while decelerating but not on a complete halt. The trudging car keeps the intake clear of water while revving the engine while still in floodwater will cost you thousands of engine overhaul when flood water gushes in to the intake...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nice tip HD

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The best tip I kept in mind, If you dont see anyone crossing a flooded street, Dont dare try it to save you thousands of repair money and headache..

WBR,

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by heightdeprived View Post
    I experienced water fording in SSS village going to it's Antipolo gate and dang! The Adventure's tail floated and the rear tires lost grip,anyway just sharing.

That time I was following a starex, mind your plates, the water bouncing off my bumper ripped my license plates while the front license plates of the starex was gone, their stop-for-front-license-plate-check gave me an idea to check mine as well. Having that said that I'm following them if incase there will be a necessity for you to brake and disengage the tranny, try to rev the engine slightly to keep it alive in deep water while decelerating but not on a complete halt. The trudging car keeps the intake clear of water while revving the engine while still in floodwater will cost you thousands of engine overhaul when flood water gushes in to the intake...
    ehhheheh....my driver was profusely revving our EK Civic VTi m/t in water levels / wave that submerged the tailpipe once in a while. I dont know if this method is correct. His reasoning is to keep the water out from the tailpipe using the force from the exhaust.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    not sure if this is correct, but won't the pressure from the exhaust be enough to keep water out of the tail pipe? I mean even if the engine is just idling, there should be enough air pressure to prevent water from entering the tail pipe.

Pls correct me if this is wrong.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    The old concept was to rev lightly para huwag pumasok ang water sa tailpipe. Newer thoughts say to rev lightly para huwag ka mamatayan dahil you should NEVER re-start the engine if it dies in floodwaters. In either case, rev lightly.Additionally, if you have drum brakes out back, you may want to step lightly on the brakes (I use 1 or 2 clicks on the hand brake) to keep water out.Also, I might suggest NOT engaging the emergency/hand brake when you park right after a flood (even a low one) so it won't stick and necessitate cleaning. Kalso is recommended.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kim is right, KNOW YOUR VEHICLE. Know where the engine inhales, where the tranny and axles breathe, what the lowest points are, etc.

KNOW WHAT YOU'RE UP AGAINST. Standing water? Raging river? Hub deep? Tire deep? Hood deep? It ain't fun to realize that the water is too deep when you're already midstream.

DON'T STEP ON THE CLUTCH. This part requires some serious conditioning because for years we have been conditioned to intentionally slide the clutch underwater. I did this on one of my old vans and the clutch was dead on the van's second year (bought brand new). In off-roading (where water fording is a common thing), stepping on the clutch midstream is considered a mortal sin.

but won't the pressure from the exhaust be enough to keep water out of the tail pipe? I mean even if the engine is just idling, there should be enough air pressure to prevent water from entering the tail pipe.
    Yes, the pressure is enough. I just leave the engine idling when stuck in deep flood waters. I just find something else to do (e.g. have a snack) than keep the engine revving like a bat out of hell.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    How about for A/T vehicles? I drive a Fortuner. Any tips on how to use this particular vehicle properly in flood fording around the metro?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A/T's are inherently better sealed against water than their M/T counterparts. There is no hole on the top (where the manual shifter comes in), there is no clutch that can get wet and slip, most have elevated breather tubes (on some Nissans, it breathes at the same level as the brake master cylinder), etc.

There really isn't a special technique for slushboxes as long as you maintain it in good condition.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Water Fording 101