New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    If you have 500k, would you consider buying a used TDCI MT Focus? Some 2008 models sell for less than 500k.
    My only apprehensions are availability of spare parts. Para kasi syang Kia Carens (2.0 CRD) na saglit lang binenta dito.
    Napapatingin pa rin kasi ako tuwing may nakikita ako na Focus sa daan.

What do you guys think?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I haven't read any problem regarding the TDCI Focus. So mukhang satisfied mga owners.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Suspension and brake parts are available outside the dealer.

While Ford's TDCi engine is pretty robust compared to some of the competition, there are two major items to look out for:

First: the variable geometry turbo can fail if the car has been abused, just as in any other high-powered turbo car. So check that.

Second: the dual mass flywheel often needs to be replaced alongside the clutch. This part is expensive. There are aftermarket single-mass flywheels available in Europe, but I don't know who sells them here. You can also go to Ford Club Philippines to check for any tips on rebuilding the dual mass yourself or for shops that can do it for you.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Suspension and brake parts are available outside the dealer.

While Ford's TDCi engine is pretty robust compared to some of the competition, there are two major items to look out for:

First: the variable geometry turbo can fail if the car has been abused, just as in any other high-powered turbo car. So check that.

Second: the dual mass flywheel often needs to be replaced alongside the clutch. This part is expensive. There are aftermarket single-mass flywheels available in Europe, but I don't know who sells them here. You can also go to Ford Club Philippines to check for any tips on rebuilding the dual mass yourself or for shops that can do it for you.
    sir on the second note above, is that true only for the manual transmission TDCI? or true as well for the A/T powershift transmission?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sir nicky, repairable ba yung VGT ng focus? If not, sa Casa lang ba meron non? Regarding the MT, is it still true that the clutch is one of the strong points ng Focus?

Slightly OT: Nabenta na ba yung TDCI nyo?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mackieboy View Post
    sir on the second note above, is that true only for the manual transmission TDCI? or true as well for the A/T powershift transmission?
    Manual only. The Powershift has its own issues. The clutches are supposedly "lifetime service-free", but clutch wear is still possible. In any event, when you need to repair that particular dual-clutch, you'll have to haggle with the dealership to do the job.

Newer Powershifts have clutch packs available. The Fiesta ones are 30k, last I heard. Don't know if the Focus has the same feature.

Quote Originally Posted by b0y37 View Post
    Sir nicky, repairable ba yung VGT ng focus? If not, sa Casa lang ba meron non? Regarding the MT, is it still true that the clutch is one of the strong points ng Focus?

Slightly OT: Nabenta na ba yung TDCI nyo?
    Repairable, yes, depending on the damage. Turbo rebuilds are between 20-30k, depending on the shop.

Yes. The clutch is ungodly strong. Should last a long time if you drive like a normal human being.

Sold. Long time back. For only 450k. I don't think I'll ever forgive my Dad for not offering it to me at that price first...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Manual only. The Powershift has its own issues. The clutches are supposedly "lifetime service-free", but clutch wear is still possible. In any event, when you need to repair that particular dual-clutch, you'll have to haggle with the dealership to do the job.

Newer Powershifts have clutch packs available. The Fiesta ones are 30k, last I heard. Don't know if the Focus has the same feature.
    thanks sir.
    so far very satisfied with my 2010 tdci a/t. just done w/ its 40k PMS (* 37k km) already.