New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    I don't know what to do here and would appreciate any suggestions. It looks like the transmission of my focus is finished before the car has reached just 25,000km:

My second hand focus TDCI started to occasionally shudder when accelerating and violently bucking when backing up. It's a 2009 model with under 25,000km (warranty expired earlier this year) and was a joy to drive up to that point.

When this started happening back in September, I immediately took it to the Casa. They found that the transmission fluid was black, said it might be the cause and that it should be changed (at a cost of P16,000). That didn't solve the problem. Seems the bottom line is there is some unspecified problem with the transmission and it will likely need replacing. They're trying to isolate exactly what it is but haven't yet been able to do so. Since the powershift DCT transmission is a sealed unit, unless I'm lucky they think i need a new one- which will cost P375,000(!).

I see no way that this problem could be caused by the driver/owner. The dual clutch transmission is a sealed unit and doesn't require regular maintenance. It's an automatic- and so can't be abused by over-revving, misuse of clutch, etc. I think there may be a problem with the focus powershift design itself (try googling "ford focus DCT vibration" if you're interested).

More than a month ago, I wrote executives at Ford Group Philippines to ask whether they would consider extending the warranty to cover this. Apart from an initial response that they would give this their "utmost attention", I haven't heard from them and they haven't responded to any follow up emails.

So where I am now is:
    -My Focus has been sitting in the Casa for over 2 months
    -I've spent P16,000 on really expensive fluid, which I guess has a good chance of getting thrown out together with the transmission
    -Ford can't say exactly what's wrong with it except that the solution is probably a ridiculously expensive transmission
    -I can't get a response out of FGP
    -It looks like there is no end to this in sight, and I am much less confident now that Ford has a solution than when this whole ordeal began

In summary after 2 months my car is still broken, and I still don't know exactly why. The only things that have changed since the time I brought this problem to Ford is I'm down a lot of cash, have lost use of the car since September, and have become extremely frustrated.

The casa has been responsive and I think is genuinely interested in figuring this out, but it seems they've been having problems getting parts they need from the plant to isolate the issue because the car doesn't have complete service records covering it's time with the previous owner. (none of those service intervals by the way have anything to do with the transmission- essentially filter changes and engine oil replacement).

Would any of you have suggestions on what I can do, or better yet experienced something similar and been able to solve it? I don't have anywhere near P375k to spend on on this. Even if it cost much less, I think it's crazy to have to change a transmission at under 25,000km. Especially one supposedly as advanced as the Powershift.

I'd be very thankful for any advice that could help me out of this mess.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Very hard to say, not knowing the previous owner (knock on wood it wasn't Ondoy'd!)... But yeah, there should be no reason for total failure on a sealed unit.

My advice, keep writing letters to FGP, perhaps some with the letterhead of an attorney you might know. Worst comes to worst, approach the media, but only after exhausting all diplomatic options.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even considered mentioning "goodwill warranty" to Ford for the broken Focus with 25,000km on the odometer?

As it seems that the Focus' with DCT do encounter early failure, Ford might fix your car under "goodwill warranty".

4. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Hi Niky,

I appreciate the advice and value your opinion. Sounds reasonable. I remember reading some of your posts on the TDCI before buying the car which helped convince me. What you wrote about the torque and drive was spot on- as I mentioned it really was a fantastic drive when it was running.

I don't think it was Ondoyed for 2 reasons- 1) I bought this back in Feb. and it's been running fine for 7 months to September, and 2) When I bought it, knowing it was second hand, I had it checked by 2 separate mechanics (one of which was Ford Casa)- and both said everything checks out and it was in good condition.

Thanks again.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Even considered mentioning "goodwill warranty" to Ford for the broken Focus with 25,000km on the odometer?

As it seems that the Focus' with DCT do encounter early failure, Ford might fix your car under "goodwill warranty".
    Hi Ghosthunter,

Thank you- yes I asked them to consider an extension of the warranty (I didn't know about a "goodwill warranty" at the time I wrote Ford in October, but I guess it comes to the same thing). I haven't heard from them though after my first email of over a month ago, a follow up in late October, and another one last week- so I have no idea whether they are considering this or will even respond at all.

I had no idea the Ford DCTs were prone to early failure before this. I only realized this was widespread (at least in other markets) after I started poking around the internet (one thread on Focus DCT problems has almost 200 pages!).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by butterpear View Post
    Hi Ghosthunter,

Thank you- yes I asked them to consider an extension of the warranty (I didn't know about a "goodwill warranty" at the time I wrote Ford in October, but I guess it comes to the same thing). I haven't heard from them though after my first email of over a month ago, a follow up in late October, and another one last week- so I have no idea whether they are considering this or will even respond at all.

I had no idea the Ford DCTs were prone to early failure before this. I only realized this was widespread (at least in other markets) after I started poking around the internet (one thread on Focus DCT problems has almost 200 pages!).

You should write a physical letter with copies addressed and sent to all the people involved including the brand manager. Send it via LBC (or other registered mail options). You might also want to check with your lawyer on your rights (and if you do have a lawyer on retainer include a "CC" to your lawyer). This will show them you are serious and will not just go away if they ignore you long enough.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Sir, try mo magpalit ng casa tapos pa-diagnose mo sa kanila.
    Nagloko din kasi before transmission ng Tucson namin e. Lagi siya nasa third gear.

Hyundai Manila Bay wanted to change the whole transmission kaagad. Because of this, i opted to look for various solutions.
    Pinadiagnose ko sa ibang casa, tapos hiningi ko yung report. Nung nalaman kung ano sira, bumili ako sa casa (kasi per order basis, from korea pa).
    Then pinagawa nalang namin sa transmission expert.

All in all, nasa 40K nagastos. Pero kung hindi ko dinala sa casa (car first stayed for 3 days, no improvements so i pulled it out), nasa 25K to 30K lang including parts and labor.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    This is scary. Napakamahal pala ng powershift transmission ng Ford.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My brother had a similar problem with his OPEL OMEGA sedan. AT tranny failed after the warranty but the odometer was still under 40K. The casa wanted replace the tranny and charge him for the cost of the tranny plus labor (over P500,000 total in parts alone). After a few letters exchanged (with CC to lawyers, managers, executives, etc), OPEL (I think GM was the company who owned OPEL in the Philippines then) relented and ended up billing my brother only less than 50K for a new crated tranny, which was opened in his presence (part of the legal agreement) before it was installed on the car.

All in all, I think it took him 3 months just to get the legal matters done.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Dang with all these A/T horror stories i might stick to Manual

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast