New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I recently bought an '04 Escape. I've never driven a vehicle with overdrive before, How do I use overdrive economically, without using too much gas?

when do I use the overdrive

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Eto ibig sabihin ng overdrive

An overdrive (OD) is a mechanism that allows an automobile to cruise at sustained speed with reduced engine RPM, leading to better fuel economy, lower noise, and lower wear.

Hayaan mo lang siyang ON always.. Yung iba kasi akala nila kapag overdrive, parang turbo so pinapatay nila.. :D

3. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    only turn of overdrive when towing or carrying massive loads

It only actually works on the highway

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ok sir no need to off the OD thanks ,

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just think about it like your 5th gear...pag naka off hinde mag engage yun 5th gear...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

6. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Guys,

I just read from an article "Car from Japan". It's about The Effective Ways To Use The Overdrive In Automatic Car.

In one paragraph it says and I quote:

"When you’re speeding up

It’s the textbook condition for using the overdrive in automatic car. When you drive at more than 60mph (50mph in case of older vehicles), the RPM increases and the engine starts taking more and more strain. Turning on the OD will work like magic to take the pressure away from the engine and bring down the RPM.

However, don’t use it when you are speeding at less than 50mph or during city driving because the speed tends to be inconsistent there. The OD prolongs the life of your car’s engine and drivetrain only if you apply it wisely."

50mph is around 80kph. So it says that driving below 80kph, OD should be switched off?

Please share your precious thoughts.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Depending on the vehicle, turning OFF O/D in city driving can save fuel.

I have observed that if I use D3 (instead of D) in the city under moderate to heavy traffic, it keeps the lock-up clutch engaged even if I lift my foot off the gas pedal while the vehicle is coasting. This mechanism help saves fuel by cutting off fuel to the injectors while the vehicle's momentum keeps the engine running.

Leaving O/D ON will prevent this from happening, as the vehicle will shift to the higher gear. Fuel will still be fed to the engine to let it run at idle. You also end up stepping on the brake pedal more.
    Last edited by oj88; June 22nd, 2018 at 01:03 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Depending on the vehicle, turning OFF O/D in city driving can save fuel.

I have observed that if I use D3 (instead of D) in the city under moderate to heavy traffic, it keeps the lock-up clutch engaged even if I lift my foot off the gas pedal while the vehicle is coasting. This mechanism help saves fuel by cutting off fuel to the injectors while the vehicle's momentum keeps the engine running.

Leaving O/D ON will prevent this from happening, as the vehicle will shift to the higher gear. Fuel will still be fed to the engine to let it run at idle. You also end up stepping on the brake pedal more.
    Thanks good buddy for the info.

Nasa Ford thread pala ako hehe. Repost ko na lang sa right thread.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    it keeps the lock-up clutch engaged even if I lift my foot off the gas pedal while the vehicle is coasting. This mechanism help saves fuel by cutting off fuel to the injectors while the vehicle's momentum keeps the engine running.

Most modern vehicles will cut-off fuel when accelerator pedal is not pressed ... regardless of the transmission settings / status ... that is why coasting in neutral actual consume more fuel in modern vehicles ...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    When shifting from D to 2 do i have to put off my OD? Thanks po mga bro/sis sa sasagot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Most modern vehicles will cut-off fuel when accelerator pedal is not pressed ... regardless of the transmission settings / status ... that is why coasting in neutral actual consume more fuel in modern vehicles ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast