New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    ...during long stops on traffic lights.

is that a safe practice? just to relax the legs even for a short time?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    It's actually a good practice. If and when you get hit at the rear, your transmission will not be destroyed since it's not engaged in any gear.

I do that all the time. ;-)

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    I also do that every time although I would just step on the brakes instead of engaging the handbrake.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LeOxe View Post
    I also do that every time although I would just step on the brakes instead of engaging the handbrake.
    kawawa naman yung driver ng sasakyan sa likod mo. nabubulag sa brakelight. lalu na kung recent model camry... heh heh.
    but if i estimate a few minutes of stoppage and i can see the traffic lights, i even turn off my engine. have you heard of the coastal road 30 minute counterflow? first time i experienced it, i was puzzled because i actually saw drivers get out and walk around, buy food and newspapers. i wonder if it's still in practice...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    It still a practice when last time i encounter that situation going to Tagaytay so better turn your engine off to save fuel and also help environment in clean air act.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I lock the handbrake and put the gearshift to neutral depending on the location of the stoplight. If it's rush hour, I usually lock the handbrake on stoplights.

If I'm on the front of the pack, I usually keep the car in gear and my hand standing by on the handbrake (right foot on accelerator) so I can accelerate more quickly. That way, more cars behind me can go through a green light. 90% of the time, I'm quickest off the line.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I usually do it especially when waiting for more than 3mins.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Ginagawa ko yan lalo na sa coastal pag counterflow na one time nga naka-tulog ako ng 2 or 3 minutes eh

Neutral + Handbrake...