New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Hi, I drive a 2004 Lynx 1.6 manual will appreciate if you can share your thoughts, solutions, experiences with the following:

Problem 1: Coolant Leak from Engine
    I had the car lifted in a gas station & discovered that the engine coolant was leaking on the right side of the engine near the belts. I had the radiator checked & it had no visible leaks thou the coolant was half full & the reservoir was almost empty. There was green coolant stains on the right engine bay area. I had the radiator & reservoir refilled with half coolant half water. The mechanic said it might be the water pump. Thou the car has never overheated & the engine temp gauges (I hope) are not faulty. 3 weeks after, I noticed my garage having some coolant leaks again. I discovered the same thing (coolant leaking on the engine side, half full radiator & dry reservoir). Can anyone point me to the right direction? Any good shops who can service this problem with reliable mechanics? I live in the QC area.

Problem 2: Knocking & metallic Sound from rear right suspension
    Changed my front & rear stabilizer links last year, recently there is a knocking sound which inconsistently appears every now & then, more so when there is no passenger. Any idea what I need to fix or replace?
    There is also a metallic sound when I drive thru pot holes coming from the rear suspension - weird thing is when I step on the brakes & drive thru potholes there is no metallic sound. Brought this to Ford Edsa & they were cluless, brakes were all good > they pointed the problem to the stabilizer links and even after replacing them, the metallic sound was still there. Some help please! Where can I have these fixed? Any estimate on the labor & parts? God Bless & Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    common culprit here is/are small cracks in rubber tubings.... from your account, the leak must be minor. colling system pressure can force coolant through small openings. Check your rubber tubings

3. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    for problem no1 if the coolant residue is below the water pump (near the fan belts) then your mechanic might be right. the water pump has this hole underneath that allows water to go out once its broken already. I still don't know the logic behind it but i've had that experience with my old lancer.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    "Problem 2: Knocking & metallic Sound from rear right suspension
    Changed my front & rear stabilizer links last year, recently there is a knocking sound which inconsistently appears every now & then, more so when there is no passenger. Any idea what I need to fix or replace?
    There is also a metallic sound when I drive thru pot holes coming from the rear suspension - weird thing is when I step on the brakes & drive thru potholes there is no metallic sound. Brought this to Ford Edsa & they were cluless, brakes were all good > they pointed the problem to the stabilizer links and even after replacing them, the metallic sound was still there. Some help please! Where can I have these fixed? Any estimate on the labor & parts? God Bless & Thanks"

Possible sources:

1. faulty rubber bushing i.e. shock abs
    2. loose gas tank (12 years ago, my corolla had this problem which Toyota casa could not solve even after all hitec tests. The car wash boy found the gas tank band was loose )
    3. you have some metal/hard object cargo in the trunk
    4. loose spare tire nut

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Problem 1

Usually when a water pump goes bad, it begins to leak. There is a small "weep hole" in the casting that will drip once the inner seal has started leaking. If that is not caught in time, the bearing will fail and the water pump shaft will begin to wobble or make a noise.

The only other possible problem with a waterpump is if the impeller has broken or come off the shaft. That might be hard to detect without removing the pump. The fact that your engine is not overheating would tend to rule that out, but still in need a new waterpump.

Problem 2

The upper bushings or bearings could be worn and need replacing. Check the both rear struts and mounts if bad.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    ericp, lazyfoot, & v6dreamer,

Thank you for the insights will definitely go thru them one by one to help solve my car roblems.

Ericp - I'm surprised about the Gas tank story, yup that's something all the hitech casa stuff can't reconcile.

Gentlemen, for the waterpump replacement any estimate on the part & labor? Where can I have this done right?

For the shock/noise issue - any specialty shops you can recommend?

thanks & keep on driving =)

Lynx Engine (Coolant) Leak-Some Help Please