New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Hi There. I'm shopping for a bigger car and I narrowed down my choices to these two. My dilemma is that my heart is saying Fortuner, while my mind is speaking Everest. Because of the D4D issues on choking and black smoke, I'm having doubts of getting the Fortuner.

The Everest seemed to be more reliable and will serve me well long term. But when I test drove it, it felt lethargic, mabagal and makupad. Unlike the Fortuner which was very responsive, the Everest moved slower and I had to depress the pedal harder to move the Everest. Well, I drove the Everest around Eastwood city complex and there is not enough road to make hataw or birit. I plan to do another test drive this weekened in Ford Libis when traffic is lighter.

I think if only my test drive experience with the Everest will turn out to be better than that of the Fortuner, then I'd be signing up the PO na for Everest. I drive an Altis 1.8 so medyo hinahanap ko yung responsiveness nito sa Everest. Paano ba dapat ko i-test drive ang Everest? Tips naman please.

Also in the area of fuel consumption, mas maganda ba ang Everest than Fortuner?

Any other inputs you can provide me to help me finalize my choice, will be appreciated.

thanks so much.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Based on papers Everest 2.5 can produce 145hp * 3500 RPM while Fortuner 2.5 can come out only with 102hp * 3600 RPM. So it's quite surprising when you say Fortuner 2.5 is more responsive than the other. It's possible that you test drove the 2.7 or 3.0.
    Anyway, between the two, if these are the only choices, I would go for the Everest. Para sa akin mas pogi siya at yung fortuner kasi nakakasawa nang tignan.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've never ridden an Everest. If you're gonna be driving, you'd probably like the handling of the Fortuner. But, if its utility and FC, I think the argument is in favor of the Everest.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Thanks for the replies. I have test drove both the 2.5 engines. I'm surprised by the responsiveness of the Fortuner...very even ang power distribution. Yung experience ko sa Everest eh may lag sa 1st at 2nd gear, pero power comes in sa 3rd.

I am the designated driver of the family so dapat masaya ako sa test drive

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    The Fortuner and the Everest maybe a good contender. But why not check out the Sta.Fe and the new Montero Sport? these 2 might suit you better.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I have seen both the Sta Fe and Montero Sport. Both are beautiful, but I want the truckiness of the Fortuner and Everest. So I'm decided na to get either...hope you can help me. thanks.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Try test driving the Everest again. I've tested both 2.5 and 3.0 and they're very fast.

The hood is a bit long though which would need getting used to.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The new 2009 Fortuner will debut on 22nd of September. Few added amenities like the ceiling aircom ducts will make it more desirable. However, I saw a 2.5 Fortuner spewing black smoke as it struggled to climb the Quezon Avenue fly-over.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stroker_200 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have test drove both the 2.5 engines. I'm surprised by the responsiveness of the Fortuner...very even ang power distribution. Yung experience ko sa Everest eh may lag sa 1st at 2nd gear, pero power comes in sa 3rd.

I am the designated driver of the family so dapat masaya ako sa test drive
    Maybe the fort has taller 1st and 2nd gear compared to the eve giving you the feeling of more responsiveness. But the 3rd and 4th are more important on the road because this is what you frequently use in overtaking.

May nakasabay na akong 2.5 fort at mabagal siya. Sabagay, 3.0 yung eve ko. Pero, may nakasabay din akong 3.0 na fort at naiwan ko rin siya (most likely due to the higher TDCi torque)

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Ok sana ang fortuner pero matagtag ang likod when I tested it with my friend. No offense to fortuner owners.

I have not tested the everest yet, so I can't say its better, pero kung hindi matagtag ang likod then it will get my vote.

As far as engine displacement goes, kung city driving lang, go for the smaller one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Forturner (2.5) or Everest (2.5)