New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    for accelerating, the +/- is indeed not much use as the ECU can do it better than you do. however, i believe this function will be much appreciated when driving down steep inclines; you can easily do engine brakes with the +/-as compared to shifting thru the standard auto transmission (P R N D 2 1).

not sure about the powershift as it seems that the gear is always engaged at low speeds, like in a manual transmission and unlike the standard automatic transmission that seems to be in Neutral when you release the accelerator.
    Last edited by mojojojo; June 12th, 2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: additonal comment...

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    newbie question on the fiesta's AT: can you change from D to L while the car is on the move?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yes, at any time. Changing from "D" to "L" on a DCT or CVT does not change gear, it simply changes shifter logic.

You may feel a thump, sometimes, with the Powershift when doing this, as the transmission logic will change from conservative to aggressive right away, and it may immediately shift to the lowest gear possible. This will not damage the gears themselves, but might prematurely wear down your engine mounts if you do this all the time. "L" is useful for climbing and descending hills and overtaking. Otherwise, "D" is the most you'll need.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    thanks niky!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I'm curious as to how much less hp is lost at the wheels using a double clutch compared to a standard a/t. I've seen m/t's lose 10% compared to 20% lost from standard a/t's

6. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Dear Tidus/Niky

Guys, not sure if you experience this. When you reach the 80kph, sometimes parang medyo hirap yung engine. Just like it's getting a hard time shifting on higher gear. What I did, I slowed down a bit then stepped again on the accelerator to gain momentum. Then ok na siya ulit. Is this normal or there's a problem with the transmission? Your thoughts please....

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Which car? Fiesta or TDCi?

May be a fuel thing, may simply be an electronic fault. You might have to ask other FoFi users on how to reset the transmission.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    It's Fiesta. Hmm....probably the transmission. I've experienced this twice last weekend. Hope it's not bad.

Thanks Nik!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    2. You won't need to change them. The fully automated system means that the clutches will last a whole lot longer than a regular clutch.

I just saw this thread about Powershift Gearbox now. I beg to disagree that you dont need to change the clutch on the Ford Dual Clutch Transmission. I've attended a seminar conducted by Getrag Ford transmissions at the Dunton Technical Centre in Es*** sometime last year and the Head Engineer of the project talked about the life of these clutches. Yes they intended it to be fit for service life i.e 100,000 miles or 10 years but I think they must have overlooked something on their design verification process and maybe encountered some problems in the field. They are now coming up with what they call as a ' clutch kit' which is basically the clutch assembly of the Dual Clutch Transmission system which will be available as a service part available from Ford in case you will need to replace your clutch pack.

Nothing against the Focus here or Ford in general but I think that the Dual Clutch transmission design is still in its early development stages. I have to say they are brilliant gearboxes, slick gearchanges and gives excellent fuel economy but they dont like driving on heavy traffic which coincidentally is what we have in Manila everyday.

You see, these Dual Clutch gearboxes are basically manual transmissions with automated clutch hence the Head Engineer of Getrag Ford Transmissions rather call it an 'Automatic Manual Transmission'. When you start crawling which is when the transmission engages first gear and fully engages the clutch, the speed is sometimes a bit to fast for the traffic and what you do is step on the brakes to slow it down. This is the bit that the DCT gearbox doesnt like because you allow the clutch to slip and at the same time you ask for it to transmit torque..doing this long enough will leave you with a worn out clutch pretty soon.

I have first hand experience of this as our family owns 2 Ford Focus TDCi Sport Powershift. One of them had a major issue in the transmission last year as it missed its shifting and even got stuck in one gear. You have to turn off the engine and restart it to make it shift again. Ford replaced the entire transmission under warranty. Now the other car had transmission is showing 'transmission malfunction' and the car is having 'clutch drag' when you drive it in traffic. It is scheduled to be inspected by the Ford Dealer next week. However, the car that had a gearbox change last year, had another 'transmission malfunction' and refused to select any gear and the car didnt moved. We had to restart the engine and then it worked again but the error message is still there. Now its got 'Clutch drag' as well.

Its fair to say that it maybe a one off when the tranny failed on the other car but now both cars are having problems. These cars were purchased last Feb 2009. So I guess I can say that there is something wrong with the gearbox design? Also, I have a colleague based in the UK who has a 2010 VW Golf with DSG Gearbox who also had a gearbox change under warranty. So it isnt just a Ford Issue after all. It seems like Dual Clutch Transmission or Dual Sequential Gearbox Technology isnt really perfected yet.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    wow you were in the thick of things than most of us. i wish you had more technical know how to fix the problem after your tech seminar. the lecturer may have missed telling that the dct for the focus is the first one. there are others that followed, hopefully much improved. i've read the earlier vw dsg was a pain cos the whole system is replaced when broken, cos most don't know how to fix them before. ford has a kit but in your account it doesn't last long. thanks for the heads up.

i've read from topgear.ph that in a ford endurance test, some drivers have produced a transmission malfunction playing with the gear shift. knowing how they did it can help us avoid the same habit/practice to cause the problems. the car is economical already at the D position. let the computer logic do the rest. i believe its embedded rules help prolong the useful life of the vehicle and its parts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Ford's POWERSHIFT Question