New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    It's not exactly a world's first as the 2011 best new engine of the year is the Fiat TwinAir which is 875cc with 84bhp.
    Fiat 500 TwinAir driven full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear
    At least we get a chance to see the Ford engine here. I don't think Fiat has any plans of coming back to the Philippines.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    ^ yes, at least this one wll surely hit our shore. Fiat is very questionable if they will come here.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cityfolk View Post
    It's not exactly a world's first as the 2011 best new engine of the year is the Fiat TwinAir which is 875cc with 84bhp.
    Fiat 500 TwinAir driven full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear
    At least we get a chance to see the Ford engine here. I don't think Fiat has any plans of coming back to the Philippines.
    Fiat's TwinAir has 2 cylinders by the way...
    The 1.0 liter EcoBoost combines turbocharging, direct-injection and twin independent variable camshaft timing, same tech found in the bigger EcoBoost engines.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Fiat's TwinAir has 2 cylinders by the way...
    The 1.0 liter EcoBoost combines turbocharging, direct-injection and twin independent variable camshaft timing, same tech found in the bigger EcoBoost engines.
    I think this ecoboost will be better. Or it's just me?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    I think this ecoboost will be better. Or it's just me?
    Remains to be seen as I haven't seen any specs quoted for Ford's engine yet. We'll see when Ford reveals the specs.

As for the Fiat TwinAir, there are two turbo versions of it - 85bhp *5500 rpm / 107 lbs-ft*1900rpm and a more aggressively boosted 105bhp*5500 rpm / 115 lbs-ft * 2500 rpm. That's the current world record specific output of 124hp/liter. And look at the torque peaking at such low rpm. That's almost diesel like.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cityfolk View Post
    Remains to be seen as I haven't seen any specs quoted for Ford's engine yet. We'll see when Ford reveals the specs.

As for the Fiat TwinAir, there are two turbo versions of it - 85bhp *5500 rpm / 107 lbs-ft*1900rpm and a more aggressively boosted 105bhp*5500 rpm / 115 lbs-ft * 2500 rpm. That's the current world record specific output of 124hp/liter. And look at the torque peaking at such low rpm. That's almost diesel like.
    Malayo pa din sa diesel IMO since diesel engines can peak at just 1,400 rpm.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    How is it a world record? The Subaru/Mitsubishi rally twins have been getting 150+ hp per liter for decades. Both forced induction, yeah, but so is the Fiat.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    World record for a normal run-of-the-mill high rate production engine.
    Aren't the rally twins are racing engines that are hand built and custom tuned?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Malayo pa din sa diesel IMO since diesel engines can peak at just 1,400 rpm.
    That's why I said almost. Compare that with the usual gasoline engines which peaks at over 4000rpm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ford's new 1-liter ecoboost engine