New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Found this article in Jalopnik regarding the domestic US Fiesta:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5774473

Hope the Thai-built Fiestas are immune to this Powershift problem.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bananatype View Post

Thanks for the information. This will surely help those still choosing a brand and if the Fiesta has already been chosen, whether to go with the Powershift or the M/T.

My own decision was to go with the 1.4 M/T for the ff reasons:
    1. Full control of gear shifting: For fuel economy, I shift between gears at 1200RPM while those of us having Powershifts are happy with a 2500RPM change in gear. When I need higher acceleration during overtaking, I even go up to 4000RPM before shifting up. I do not rely on the computer's judgment as far as shifting goes.
    2. M/T is less complex and there are less things to go wrong.
    3. M/T is cheaper both in acquisition cost and repair cost down the line.

As for the silent "recall", Toyota's and Honda's "glitches" already caused some deaths in other countries. This illustrates that no design and production procedure is 100% perfect and no account of Fiesta deaths have been reported.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bananatype View Post

I remember reading an Australian article that mentions that the Thai-built Fiesta uses the Powershift transmission made in Mexico (same as the USDM model)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vivafoxpro View Post
    My own decision was to go with the 1.4 M/T for the ff reasons:
    1. Full control of gear shifting: For fuel economy, I shift between gears at 1200RPM while those of us having Powershifts are happy with a 2500RPM change in gear. When I need higher acceleration during overtaking, I even go up to 4000RPM before shifting up. I do not rely on the computer's judgment as far as shifting goes.
    2. M/T is less complex and there are less things to go wrong.
    3. M/T is cheaper both in acquisition cost and repair cost down the line.
    same on choosing the MT.
    less complexity less problem.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    FORD- Fix Or Repair Daily

Just like late model Expeditions, F-150s, Explorers, Rangers and Escapes I've seen that also had problematic auto-transmissions...

Even if it were true that Fiesta units here could be affected it would probably crop up as time passes, the Ford Plant in Thailand (supplies 3rd world Nations) has lowers standards compared to the one in Mexico or Germany (supplies 1st world) because there are no Legal Safety-nets protecting consumers here rather than the ones in the US...

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Importante dito how they (FORD) will respond, mukang very decisive naman ang response ng Ford to these complaints...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Hoping everything will be ok...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sm2by View Post
    the Ford Plant in Thailand (supplies 3rd world Nations) has lowers standards compared to the one in Mexico or Germany (supplies 1st world) because there are no Legal Safety-nets protecting consumers here rather than the ones in the US...
    The manufacturing plants are regional. The plant in Thailand supplies cars to Asia-Pacific markets, this includes Australia and New Zealand. These 2 markets used to get German Fiestas while the plant in Thailand was being built.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Dual clutch transmissions are difficult to master that's why it's not yet mainstream in the market, just like the issue of CVTs before and there are still issues on CVTs till today. Maybe it will take them 2 more years to perfect the technology.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sm2by View Post
    FORD- Fix Or Repair Daily

Just like late model Expeditions, F-150s, Explorers, Rangers and Escapes I've seen that also had problematic auto-transmissions...

Even if it were true that Fiesta units here could be affected it would probably crop up as time passes, the Ford Plant in Thailand (supplies 3rd world Nations) has lowers standards compared to the one in Mexico or Germany (supplies 1st world) because there are no Legal Safety-nets protecting consumers here rather than the ones in the US...
    Are there any Australians or New Zealanders here?
    You had better tell them they live in a Third World Country

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Ford quietly replacing Fiesta transmissions on owner complaints