New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Hello sirs,

Need your comments on my problem with my Ford Lynx 2004 GSI and hoping to find a solution to my Ford Lynx nightmare problem. I experienced in just 8 months naka dalawang palit na ako ng clutch master at isang repair kit.

Just an additional info., my car was previously maintained by the company of my friend. Then the company sells it to my friend since they'll be releasing new car. Binili naman ng friend ko yung car since mababa nmn yung price and sayang din naman. Fortunately, just after a few months (2 months I think) dahil may naipon na ako na pambili ng second hand car, inalok ko bilhin yung car nya kasi maganda pa yung Ford Lynx, as in good condition (suspension ok, engine ok + using fully synthethic oil, etc...)

I recall last year, after 6 months I was travelling at 80 kph, bigla bumigay yung clutch parang tumatapak lang ako sa bulak then di ko na machange ng gear, ayun slowly ko cya napahinto pero nasa gitna ako ng highway.

Thankfully may malapit na talyer, and pinalitan ng repair kit ung clutch master (Seiken yung brand).

Here's the series of problem, after 1 month, tumirik na naman ako sa highway, nawala na naman yung clutch. To secure my travel, pinapalitan ko na ng bagong clutch master (I remember kulay light blue ung box nung replacement master). So ok na uli yung ride ko, then after 4 months, I was in the middle of a heavy traffic may naamoy ako na brake fluid, pagtingin ko sa may pedal, may dripping brake fluid na coming from the clutch master. So dinala ko uli sa talyer and the same brand ng master assembly yung naikabit since meron din sila auto supply. Then kahapon lang, I was driving home, nawala na naman yung clutch ko. Nagtulak na naman ako T_T

Here are my questions:

1. Would you guys guess kung may fault dun sa brand ng clutch master?
    2. Sabi ng dad ko baka sa brake fluid din na gamit ko (Prestone - sorry if I mention), na di ma-withstand ng rubber nung master yung fluid na gamit ko - Check ko raw kung pede DOT4 (ATE or Castrol)? We experience a near similar scenario when we mix two brands of brake fluid in 1998 kahit pareho naman DOT3, ayun namaga yung rubber ng repair kit, I remember Seiken yung repair kit
    3. In your experience, gaano ba dapat tumagal ang replacement clutch master?
    4. Napasin ko shared sa reservoir ng fluid yung clutch at brake, is there any design issue sa Ford Lynx? Ang bilis din naging dark color nung fluid sa reservoir and pag-bleed namin sa secondary master, mas dark ung color ng fluid. Meron ba clutch master para sa Ford Lynx na di naka-share yung fluid, I mean meron sya sarili reservoir?
    5. What would you recommend - original or replacement - may difference ba sa lifespan? I thought using replacement since Japan made yung nakalagay sa box, pero headache ang nakuha ko T_T
    6. Is this a disadvantage of fluid type clutch compared to cable type? Sa honda kc ng ate ko years na eh wala pa cya problem sa clutch.
    7. What are your other recommendations?

I plan to buy original clutch master kaso sobra yung price na 7,000 petot compared to 1,200 pesos na replacement, pero di na kaya na budget ko around 10K, bibili pa kasi ako ng 2 tires.

Sencya na po sa mahabang post, ala na kasi ako makunan ng iba pang comments

Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What brand are you using? I've only had to fix my master once in 120,000 kilometers. If you keep buying a super cheap replacement part and have to replace it every few months, then it's obvious that either the part is not durable or something else is wrong.

Check the rest of the system, also... you might have a crimp in the hose leading to the clutch causing extra pressure. The reservoir being shared between the brakes and the clutch shouldn't be a problem, but if your fluid is degrading, then you ought to flush the entire system. Yes, it's okay to use DOT4.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Seiken is a trusted brand. Make sure it is Made in Japan.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Thank you Sirs for the advice, I'll make sure to have a real Seiken for my clutch master and will try to replace the flexible hose, and secondary master as well ('coz I hear squeeking sound coming from it too), to make sure everything is in good condition. And most of all I'll never go back to that auto supply and mechanic.

Thanks a lot!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Hi Sirs,

I changed the clutch master cyl. today (finally found the genuine 'Seiken' from a very well trusted supplier, boxed and complete with hose and clamp, around 2,600 petot), I also bought a repair kit for the secondary master (Seiken also) and a replacement flexible hose. I tried to look around for DOT4 brake fluid (Castrol) but I ended up with the same expensive ATE SL DOT4 (same brand my father uses for the MB, only it's ATE super blue). Flushed the fluid and alas! I can feel no more headaches to come.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Hi Sirs,

eto po yung brand ng cheap clutch master cylinder na naging cause ng probs saken.

"Tokai" - kulay blue ung box, and di nakabalot sa protective plastic nung maalala ko.

I searched over the internet and I cannot find any Japanese company named Tokai. It seems made somewhere else cya by a fly by night pirate company.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    mukha nga fake yan brand.. hehehe.. check mo din yung alignment ng pedal dun sa master cylinder ...

Ford Lynx 2004 GSI repeated clutch problem - need your help po