New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just saw this in an ad yesterday.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    wow, finally the world renowned F.Focus will be coming to our shores. btw, what's the engine and tranny line up for the PH market (aside fm. the 1.8 duratec + 4AT)?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I'll be there later today with a VIP pass they mailed me! Woohoo!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    vicoyski, mini-review for the test drive ha? hehe

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Went to the public launch and testdrive at the NBC Tent yesterday (July 22, 2005) afternoon...

It rained hard, so I got to totally abuse the test vehicle's suspension and ABS on the pre-determined test-track! The power of the sedan's 1.8L Duratec engine is just right for the size of the vehicle. The ride is smooth, even when I purposely ran over a protruding manhole cover. Steering is quite responsive. Minimal body roll despite a real fast and tight U-turn. I kept fiddling around with the sequential sport shift (similar to Mitsubishi's tiptronic shift). There wasn't a very long straight run on the test track to test the sport shift. But, it offers great engine braking power. Oh, and the driver's got good visibility!

After the drive, I got to check the display unit in the tent very closely. The inside of the Focus is very luxurious. All leather seats. 6 CD indash & MP3 player that can be controlled through the steering wheel (it has a socket in the glove compartment where you can plug-in your iPOD). The climate control ACU has separate controls for the driver and the passenger next to him, each with it's own display (there's also a blower for the rear passengers)! Gauges are sporty but simple. I particularly like the driver message center. It's like the one on the Explorer and the Expedition. Also, the steering wheel can be adjusted, not only up & down, but also forward & backward (telescopic).

The only thing I didn't like is the access to the engine. You'll need the key to open the engine hood. The keyhole is hidden in the emblem on the grille. This makes the Ford emblem a prime target for pilferage. I can just see lotsuv jeepneys with these stolen Ford emblems stuck to them.

But, the key! Yes, the Key! They have a wave key with integrated remote for the Focus! And, it's a totally new concept... It flips open and closes like a switchblade. You can also open and close all the windows through the remote.

Price is P919K. Add P20K if you wanna have the full skirts installed. Not bad when you look at the over-all value.

Hmmm... I might just find myself saying goodbye to my CRV...
    Last edited by vicoyski; July 23rd, 2005 at 02:25 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Just as I thought... a 900K price range.... oh well try ko dumaan mamaya....

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh0027
    Just as I thought... a 900K price range.... oh well try ko dumaan mamaya....
    Yeah! Everyone should drop-by and give the vehicles a spin!

8. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Dual zone rin pala. Thats a very nice option! You're right, it on the exlporer as well. Next thing you know, they'll be adding adjustable pedals on ford cars from their SUV's. I wonder when will they introduce their RS or 2li version?

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski
    Went to the public launch and testdrive at the NBC Tent yesterday (July 22, 2005) afternoon...

It rained hard, so I got to totally abuse the test vehicle's suspension and ABS on the pre-determined test-track! The power of the sedan's 1.8L Duratec engine is just right for the size of the vehicle. The ride is smooth, even when I purposely ran over a protruding manhole cover. Steering is quite responsive. Minimal body roll despite a real fast and tight U-turn. I kept fiddling around with the sequential sport shift (similar to Mitsubishi's tiptronic shift). There wasn't a very long straight run on the test track to test the sport shift. But, it offers great engine braking power. Oh, and the driver's got good visibility!

After the drive, I got to check the display unit in the tent very closely. The inside of the Focus is very luxurious. All leather seats. 6 CD indash & MP3 player that can be controlled through the steering wheel (it has a socket in the glove compartment where you can plug-in your iPOD). The climate control ACU has separate controls for the driver and the passenger next to him, each with it's own display (there's also a blower for the rear passengers)! Gauges are sporty but simple. I particularly like the driver message center. It's like the one on the Explorer and the Expedition. Also, the steering wheel can be adjusted, not only up & down, but also forward & backward (telescopic).

The only thing I didn't like is the access to the engine. You'll need the key to open the engine hood. The keyhole is hidden in the emblem on the grille. This makes the Ford emblem a prime target for pilferage. I can just see lotsuv jeepneys with these stolen Ford emblems stuck to them.

But, the key! Yes, the Key! They have a wave key with integrated remote for the Focus! And, it's a totally new concept... It flips open and closes like a switchblade. You can also open and close all the windows through the remote.

Price is P919K. Add P20K if you wanna have the full skirts installed. Not bad when you look at the over-all value.

Hmmm... I might just find myself saying goodbye to my CRV...
    Just to add to vickoyski's review.

I was there early (exactly 9am) today. Starting up the car, the engine sounded so meek that made it barely noticeable. The shifter would not shift to drive (from park) until the brake pedal is depressed. I did not get to do so much driving with the test unit, but the "tiptronic" transmission seems to be a nice addition. Maybe I just did not notice it but there was no display or indicator for the current gear in-use. So at times, I found myself getting sluggish response because its hard to tell what gear I am in and for sure I was using a taller gear than needed (for that speed).

Using the "auto" mode transmission, when I was flooring the gas, there was a slight lag until it reached 40km/h, which was when the engine suddenly came alive. I'm thinking the reason for this has a lot to do with the drive-by-wire technology, which the Focus came equipped with.

Overall, good visibility esp. from the vantage point of the driver. I also noticed that seats are quite high, which would be helpful for vertically challenged individuals. The steering column can be moved up or down (tilt) and also in and out (telescoping).

Styling wise, it is definitely not as attractive as the Mazda3 2.0L. Although the Focus' rear quarters make for much better ingress and egress, as it is not slopping like the Mazda3's. The engine bay may only be accessed through the keyhole behind the flipping Ford marquee on the front grill. Upon inserting the key, turn counter-clockwise to unlock the hood and after turn clockwise to release it. Instrumental panels (eg. speedometer and tachometer) looks plain, of course, everything starts looking ho-hum after the Mazda3's 6 'o clock speedometer and tachometer. Central dash area (eg. audio, and a/c controls) looks quite remiscent of the Mazda3's, with its very darth-vader look and effect.

The wave-key also allows you to make all the windows come down, which is useful after parking the car under the sun. The gas flipper? is also locked when all the car doors are locked.

Available only in one trim, starting Aug 20, 2005. For Php 918K (without side skirts) and Php 939K (with skirts).
    Last edited by number001; July 23rd, 2005 at 03:55 PM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    vicoyski, what time did you go there yesterday? mbt, glntvr and me where there at around 3pm. When it rained, we were there inside the tent eating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ford Focus Test Drive (NBC Tent at The Fort, July 23-24)