New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Hi guys. I just recently bought a Ford Focus TDCI 2.0 (YAY!!!) and so far I'm very impressed with it (I used to drive a Kia Pride, Rav4, Vios).

My question however isn't really Ford Focus-focused, rather, a general question about overdriving (if I understand the definition right, is the use of the higher gears to attain lower RPMs, thus lower fuel consumption).

Driving my Focus, I realized that with little traffic I can drive around Metro Manila: [Loyola Hts.-C5-The Fort-Aurora-Loyala Hts] late at night (very light traffic) and get around 5.5-6L/100KM (16-18KM/L) which I think is really great for a car that isn't really tight-budget level. Normal QC-Makati on rush hour churns out around 8-10L/100KM (10-12.5KM/L) which is still very respectable. Harurot driving (happens when I see Subaru Imprezas or get passed by siento-vente noisy cars) FC is at around 10-11 L/100KM (9-10KM/L).

My 2nd gen Vios 1.5G A/T that drowned in Ondoy (TYVM AOG insurance) was doing that rush-hour grind at around 7-8KM/L which I thought was absolutely horrible for a car that was supposed to be cheap to operate).

I was able to achieve this by driving using the dual-clutches' sequential gear shift feature, shifting up at around 1800-2000 RPM. Since the Focus commands massive amounts of torque (320Nm if I remember correctly, truck-level as people say), it doesn't hiccup at all and actually drives smoother than the standard jerky-sporty D(rive) or S(port?) mode.

The question is, am I unduly causing my engine extra stress by maximizing the engine's torque? I plan to drive this car for the next five years (and more if possible!).

I know people would say na I should just keep it on D(rive), but that way it drives jerky, and shifts up at around 3,000 RPM even if I step on the accelerator very lighty.

So car gurus, what do you think?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As long as it isn't lugging... it's okay. But maximum economy is actually achieved by accelerating briskly then cruising or coasting at your desired speed... look up the "pulse and glide" technique.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    You should be fine. The computer is smart enough that it actually prevents the engine from lugging at all. You will notice that it seamlessly shifts to a lower gear at around 1200 RPM even if its on manual mode. Its a keeper, and I hope you enjoy your ride 5 years down the road, and beyond...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I talked to the Ford Libis mechanic and he said it's okay daw to drive it that way. I asked if the transmission was durable, and he said oh yes definitely the powershift transmission systems should last a lifetime daw. He added that if in the case anything goes wrong, the warranty will cover it and they'll replace the part. I hope they're true to their word on that (but I'm not counting on anything breaking down on me).

Thanks sir niky I'll look up that driving method. :D

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by teammate View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I talked to the Ford Libis mechanic and he said it's okay daw to drive it that way. I asked if the transmission was durable, and he said oh yes definitely the powershift transmission systems should last a lifetime daw. He added that if in the case anything goes wrong, the warranty will cover it and they'll replace the part. I hope they're true to their word on that (but I'm not counting on anything breaking down on me).

Thanks sir niky I'll look up that driving method. :D
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i think the tranny is borg warner. Borg warner is the best in the world in precision mechanical stuff so I expect that i will last long.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Di ata Borg Warner... Wiki says the Powershift Dual Clutch System on the Focus is made by Getrag. I don't really know what those companies are known for; I just hope they last. I'm young and very heavy footed )

Ford Focus TDCI / [Overdriving: FC vs extra load on engine?]