New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Related to an earlier post, I was observing unusually coarse dust accumulating on the engine and its engine bay.

My first suspicion was the mud guard hole in the front.

I taped this hole and so did our other co-FoFi owners.

Still up to today, we read of comments that the engine is "maalikabok".

Any similar experiences and solutions?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Based on your initial observations, I taped over those holes as soon as I got my unit last January. Still, there's a lot of dust in the engine bay so it's sure coming in from some place else. The only thing I can think of is the narrow front grill. Puwede kaya ito i-seal from the inside? will it affect the cooling system?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Can you post pic of the narrow grill?

Is it the one where the bonnet slams on?

My next suspect is the "vent" on the fender liner itself

4. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    I temporarily taped the lower 3 holes in the fender liner Friday morning to test if they are the source of the fine sand that accumulates in the engine bay. I brushed the immediately accessible surfaces to make sure I started clean.

This afternoon, Saturday, there is still fine sand accumulating .

My last guess is that the air intake of the FoFi is more constricted than the Honda producing a Venturi effect . Having a greater air speed at the mouth, fine sand is sucked in and immediately after entering engine bay, air speed is reduced and the sand is allowed to settle down. This is like the sand deposited at the mouth of a river. Once the river meets the ocean, water speed is reduced and sand particles fall to the bottom.

Believing this to be nature of the FoFi's design, this falls into the "live with it" category.

Sa mga walang compressor or blower a paint brush like this will be fine:

Just be light handed na para bang nagpipinta ka ng Mona Lisa. Pampa-alis ng stress . Your choice of a blue or red brush, wahehehe .

I suggest not using any liquid as this will just be a bonding agent for the dust.

As to the theory about the grills, I inspected them and they all lead to the radiator and any form of covering will reduce the cooling capacity of the radiator. Better dusty than overheated.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vivafoxpro View Post
    I temporarily taped the lower 3 holes in the fender liner Friday morning to test if they are the source of the fine sand that accumulates in the engine bay. I brushed the immediately accessible surfaces to make sure I started clean.

This afternoon, Saturday, there is still fine sand accumulating .

My last guess is that the air intake of the FoFi is more constricted than the Honda producing a Venturi effect . Having a greater air speed at the mouth, fine sand is sucked in and immediately after entering engine bay, air speed is reduced and the sand is allowed to settle down. This is like the sand deposited at the mouth of a river. Once the river meets the ocean, water speed is reduced and sand particles fall to the bottom.

Believing this to be nature of the FoFi's design, this falls into the "live with it" category.

Sa mga walang compressor or blower a paint brush like this will be fine:

Just be light handed na para bang nagpipinta ka ng Mona Lisa. Pampa-alis ng stress . Your choice of a blue or red brush, wahehehe .

I suggest not using any liquid as this will just be a bonding agent for the dust.

As to the theory about the grills, I inspected them and they all lead to the radiator and any form of covering will reduce the cooling capacity of the radiator. Better dusty than overheated.
    Actually, I was referring to the narrow upper grill - the one with the Ford logo. Di kaya doon yung venturi effect? Maliit lang kasi, eh tapos sloping pa yun immediate front bumper area nya.

On second thought, masyadong mataas na yata ito for a possible source of fine dust.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hausteam View Post
    Actually, I was referring to the narrow upper grill - the one with the Ford logo. Di kaya doon yung venturi effect? Maliit lang kasi, eh tapos sloping pa yun immediate front bumper area nya.

On second thought, masyadong mataas na yata ito for a possible source of fine dust.
    Sarado yung maliit na grill Sir. Walang dadaanan ang hangin. Baka sa Europe hindi maalikabok

I think the fan is also high velocity kaya nahahatak nya rin pati magaspang na grains.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Baka naman sa ilalilm ng engine dumadaan..Wala ba cover ilalim ng engine?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vivafoxpro View Post
    Sarado yung maliit na grill Sir. Walang dadaanan ang hangin. Baka sa Europe hindi maalikabok

I think the fan is also high velocity kaya nahahatak nya rin pati magaspang na grains.

Ah,ok. So isa na lang ang possibility - sa ilalim nagagaling nga.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    i just noticed, yung rubber nakakabit sa hood natin located sa taas ng grill is maiksi. hindi lahat nasasakupan nya. so possible may space para pumasok ang dust sa loob ng engine bay natin. yung sa galant ko dati paikot yung rubber sa hood to seal the engine bay. will take a picture.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    wala naman ibang dahilan dito kundi sa kawalan ng underside cover...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ford Fiesta coarse dust in engine bay