New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Need your thoughts guys. I'm 80% sure that the Fiesta is going to be my next car purchase. Thing is, I really wanted a 1.6L MT. Aside from the added power, I have to admit that the computer-controlled PS transmission scares me somewhat. Although our village never gets flooded, I always have to pass by roads with poor drainage (6 to 8 inches during heavy rains). If ever I choose the PS it will be my first automatic (or DCT) car and I'm really clueless with regards to it's maintenance and dependability.

Oh, I usually spend my regular working day driving from one city location to another. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The dual clutch system in the Fiesta 1.6PS is supposed to be as dependable as traditional transmissions and give better fuel economy than traditional A/Ts (supposed to be near par with M/Ts).

Given you drive a lot as part of your work, I would suggest the 1.6PS version. This would be more comfortable to drive.

But remember the Fiesta 1.6PS is not quick even with it's 1.6L engine. The Mazda2 1.5L with it's traditional A/T is actually quicker accelerating.

As for maintenance, just follow the scheduled maintenance and you will be fine. If you plan to have it maintained outside the casa, it would be good if you can copy the maintenance sked that ford uses for your car as a guide.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 6th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Seriously just get the 1.6L Powershift...

Its what you really wanted so worrying will not help you be happy with your choice whatever it is...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Thanks guys. It's funny because I don't remember fretting this much when I bought my first car. I guess I'll give PS a go. Just have to convince the wife that the Sport Hatch is better than the PS sedan.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Which variant you get will depend on which attracts you more. The sport hatch is the best loaded, but the ride is noticeably stiffer than the sedan.

I prefer the 1.4 MT hatchback of all the variants, as it has the softer suspension but the nicer hatchback body, but if you've no stomach for manuals in traffic, the 1.6 DCT is fine.

Test-drive before you buy.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Which variant you get will depend on which attracts you more. The sport hatch is the best loaded, but the ride is noticeably stiffer than the sedan.

I prefer the 1.4 MT hatchback of all the variants, as it has the softer suspension but the nicer hatchback body, but if you've no stomach for manuals in traffic, the 1.6 DCT is fine.

Test-drive before you buy.
    There is also a 1.6L Trend Sedan with softer suspension, right? Anyway, I was able to test drive both the 1.4 MT Sedan and the 1.6 Sport Hatch. I felt right at home with the MT and was really surprised at how smooth the PS in the sport hatch changed gears. I didn't really notice the difference in suspension (test driving along MetroManila roads?).

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Sir, just wanna share the comparison from www.c-magazine.com (under Buyer's Guide Menu)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ImCyrix View Post
    Sir, just wanna share the comparison from www.c-magazine.com (under Buyer's Guide Menu)
    http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...dVsMazda-1.jpg
    Just a friendly advise, don't trust manufacturer specs in performance too much. Many of them are overhyped for marketing purposes. Specs would include 0-100kph time and fuel economy figures.

BTW, we have real world tests numbers that says the Fiesta is SLOWER than the claimed 9.6secs.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 6th, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hausteam View Post
    There is also a 1.6L Trend Sedan with softer suspension, right? Anyway, I was able to test drive both the 1.4 MT Sedan and the 1.6 Sport Hatch. I felt right at home with the MT and was really surprised at how smooth the PS in the sport hatch changed gears. I didn't really notice the difference in suspension (test driving along MetroManila roads?).
    Go with the MT.

We have a 1.4 Trend sedan. You want more power so 1.6 should fit you more.

My own philosophy : The more complex anything is, the greater are the points of failure = greater chances of failing

Yung iba nating kasama dito amoy pera na dahil malakas kumita (you know who you are). Barya lang magpalit ng buong kotse, kaya hindi sila masyado worried sa potential cost.

Comfort and reduced hassle in driving may be top in their priorities.

Totoo din yun. Kung papunta ka sa isang million peso deal, your mind should be on the million not whether to shift from second to third gear.

Hope to welcome you soon in the "Owner's List". Good Luck!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ImCyrix View Post
    Like GH says... it's not quite that quick.

Quoted manufacturer 0-100 km/h times for both cars are for the manual transmission cars. The automatics are slower.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Ford Fiesta - 1.4MT or 1.6PS?