New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    My Ford Explorer 2005 has brought nothing but problems for me since I took it out of the showroom IN 2005. The frustration never seems to end!!!!! I got myself the top of the line Eddie Bauer 4x4 Ford Explorer for P2.2 million in July of 2005. Upon delivery that day when I picked it up, I noticed there were traces of adhesive materials stuck on the wooden trim of the dashboard but I was quickly assured by the salesman that they can easily take them out when I go for my 1st 1000 km checkup. During the 2nd day after delivery of the car, I noticed there was a ratttle on the trunk lid of the car. I brought it to Ford and they told me there was a plastic that they neglected to remove somewhere on the back which was causing the rattle. After that was fixed, I began to notice that there was a rattle under the car, underneath the steering wheel and the back window. This all happened with less than 5000 km on the odometer. When I 1st send the car in, they said the rattle underneath the car was caused by lack of lubrication somewhere on the suspension mechanism and they just did some gresing on it. On my way home from that repair, I noticed the rattle was still there and I asked the driver to send the car in again the very next day. I had to go back around 3 more times and I had to contact my brother in law who happens to know the owner of Ford Global and tell the owner about the problems I was having with my car. The problem turned out to be the lack of insulation between the running board and the part it is connected to which creates metal to metal contact. As for the other problems, I had to fix them myself because they were not able to fix them. The rattle from the back window turned out to be caused by a plastic assembly underneath the interior quater panel that wasn't installed properly. The people at Ford removed that quarter panel and they didn't see the problem. On top of that, they didn't put back the seatbelt assembly properly. I had to fix all of that myself. I had to disassemble that quarter panel because I was so frustrated I didn't want to send the car back to the dealership without any results. Now we go the noise from underneath the steering wheel. I also had to find the solution myself. The problem turns out to be a metal clip that came loose. This all happened with less than 5000 km on the odometer. Before I forget, let's go back to the traces of adhesive that were left on the wooden trim of the car. I went for the 1000 km checkup but the people at Ford didn't seem to have any idea how to take them out so I called the salesman and he told me to take a picture of it so that he can show it to his boss. I didn't want to wait so I just decided to fix the problem on my own. I had to spend a couple of thousand to have my new car detailed and had them take out the adhesive traces. So much for Ford reliability and service. For P2.2 million, I'd expect a lot more. I was such a regular fixture on Ford Global that I know most of the service reps there already. I've had a host of other problems with the car from owning it for less than 2 years. At present with barely 15,000 km on the odometer, the brake pedal has an irritrating screaching sound, the sunroof cover is misaligned, the cover on the sunvisor mirror doesn't stay open if you open it, and the smoke from outside comes in even when the air recirculation system is switched on. I just got myself a new Fortuner so I decided to have the driver bring the explorer to Ford Global to have all these problem fixed. My driver came home this morning with the car saying Ford Global refused to take the car in because we didn't make an appointment. I certainly didn't need an appointment when I bought the P2.2 million junk from them and now that I am having problems with my car, I need an appointment??????? You want to know the best part????? I was so frustrated with the quality and service of Ford that I decided to look around for possible buyers. People are offering me P1.2 million for my car, one million less than the price I paid for it. So, I am in a dilemma right now...Should I or should I not sell the car?????? What's ironic is I just sold a 1998 Toyota Revo with 130,000 km on the odometer for P250,000. The original price on that car was just P650,000.00 in 1998. Losing P400,000.00 on the car for a car that's been used for 8 years with 130,000 on the odometer seems worth it compared to losing a million for owning a car that's barely 2 years. I had no problem whatsoever with the Revo except for the aircon which broke down last year which is expected for a car that old. Lesson learned: DON'T EVER BUY FORD.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    So sorry to hear that.

I did consider the Explorer late last year when we found ouselves in the hunt for an SUV. After test driving the Chevy Trailblazer, which we really liked, The Explorer rode well....like a truck and the dash rattled like crazy on slightly uneven pavement. I asked the sales guy if the tires were overinflated and with grim look on his face, I decided not to follow up on the question I just asked. I gave the sales guy a second chance and this time we test drove an even "older" unit of a congressman who traded in his 05 Explorer for an Expy. Wow, talk about rattles and squeaks and this happened after we test drove the Honda Pilot.

So we ended up getting the Honda Pilot(now a month old). A lot dearer, of course, but the Explorer didn't really do well as far as (international) reviews are concerned. Info from the internet helped me reach this decision. The Explorer really looked sharp, but my wife and I also looked at the resale value 5 years down the road. Knowing friends who previously had Fords, the resale at the very least, was "not good".

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Sorry to hear about your problems but I guess you didn't know that FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. Anyways there's a reason why it's called by most Explorer owners as the Exploder and you just found out. Good luck trying to get things fixed.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    post edited. wont even bother posting here again ...
    Last edited by oldblue; January 18th, 2007 at 03:24 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I should have researched more I guessed before putting my money on this junk. I saw a lot of explorers on my trips to Canada and the US and figured it couldn't be that bad if there are a lot of people driving them over there. I did test drive the vehicle and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I guess owning one is a totally different experience all together. Seems like the whole car was put together using chewing gum because everything seems to be falling apart and the big clincher really was when my driver came home yesterday saying FORD refused my car because I didn't make an appointment. That really blew my top off......I was treated like near royalty when I handed them the P2.2 million check. I even got to meet the sales and service manager. Both people assured me that I can call them if I have any concerns. And now I need an appointment????? Talk about a..holes!!!!!! If I could dissuade just one person into not putting their hard-earned money on Ford, my job is done.....Hate those bastards!!!.......Should have just shelled out more money and got myself a PRADO..........

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    sorry to hear about your explorer sir rsc6288. but yes, american cars/trucks are known for their rattles and not good fitment of parts.

thats why in the states japanese cars have overtaken them in terms of sales of volumes of vehicles. i think, even the f150 which was best truck for like a decade was overtaken by a toyota pickup truck last year on sales.

american people like japanese brands due to its better fitment and it last a long time. example would be the toyota corolla.

on a side note: you can keep the explorer if the Ford Global can fix it under warranty, i hope. but if not. and its really bothering you. sell at a loss. no point keeping it if everytime you use it it makes your blood boil and shout curses at it.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by baker123 View Post
    on a side note: you can keep the explorer if the Ford Global can fix it under warranty, i hope. but if not. and its really bothering you. sell at a loss. no point keeping it if everytime you use it it makes your blood boil and shout curses at it.
    +1. If Ford Global can fix it, then keep your Explo. If they can't and it just brings you grief everytime you see and/or use it, dispose of it. You probably got stuck with a lemon unit, or other owners aren't just as particular as you. No sense in losing much more sleep and comfort than you've already lost. Sell it at a loss and go for a Santa Fe, Sorrento or the like so you don't lose much space. I had an '99 Exped XLT 4x4. Despite not using it much due to its size and appetite for fuel, it had exhibited its American make of not being as tightly built as its Japanese or European counterparts. Though I miss the ride comfort and power, maintenance was another problem and a headache. Sold it and went with a Toyota instead. Bland, some motoring hacks say, but reliable.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO

Those are just minor inconveniences as I thought that your Explorer self-detonated from your posted topic. On a side note, those problems will seem trivial should you be the lucky owner of a lemon Fortuner (please see the D4D woes thread).

Heck, I can jot down a longer list of minor faults on my Rav4 since the day we got it. Frikkin Toyota bulletproof quality my arse. Defective front disc brakes that ate away the brake pads in less than a year, defective shock absorbers, rattling in the tailgate, squeaking sound from the tranny, oops - almost got carried away. :furious:

Before giving up on your Explorer - try to have the problems dealt with another Ford dealership (their Balintawak branch does good service ). It seems that the problem lies with the after-sales team of Ford Global. :nono:

As with the appointment thing, well that's an SOP in a lot of casa nowadays. Well, they can take in your unit but they won't work at it though until the next day since they are fully booked already (happened to me in Ford Quezon Ave but not in Balintawak).

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Whoa...pogi pa naman explorer...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Maybe I am more particular about vehicles then some people but from my experience, problems with cars usually come out on the 3rd or 4th year of ownership not the first 1000 kms. Nothing more irritating than rattling or screeching on a new car particularly if you just spend P2.2 million of your hard-earned money on it and it is not a one time incident. New problems seems to pop out one after the other. I know it is not much of a comparison to be pitting the Explorer to the Revo. The Revo I usually use everyday for work lasted 8 years and piled on 130,000 km without any noticeable squeaks or rattling. The Explorer I usually just use when I go out at night didn't even last a year before problems started popping out left and right. As with the appointment thing, I don't recall having to make an appointment there during my numerous visits to Ford Global in the past. They would normally get a mechanic test drive the vehicle with me and I would always end up leaving the vehicle there for them to fix. I live quite far from Global and I would have been fine had they just take in the car and explain to the driver that they can't start on the car right away since they are fully booked instead of having the driver go back there again. The driver even insisted that they just keep the car there but they wouldn't even hear of it. It just seems so freaking irritating that when you are buying the car, they always make it seem that they are very accomodating and easy people to deal it but once the money is buried deep in their pockets already, they couldn't care less about you anymore unless you are there to buy another car.....How quickly people forget!!!!!! Maybe you are right...maybe it is just Ford Global...anyway, thanks for the tip maybe I'll get better treatment from Ford Balintawak....Just the same, the quality of Ford particularly my vehicle is really bad and mediocre compared to even less expensive cars I've owned in the past. The least they can do is improve on the service. This will be my first and last Ford........

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Ford Explorer Problems