New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I learned something from.OB today! Good one OB.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk Pro

2. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    thanks everyone for reading and replying to this thread. well the Ford explorer does have issues of its own. After searching and reading day and night, i have gathered some information about this car. anyone trying to buy a preowned ford explorer, please read this thread.
    1) the rack and pinion is a big problem in this car and many have mechanics plus casa have confirmed this. during my purchase, i tried 5 explorer limited and all of them had a weird clunking sound on rough roads. thinking that the car has 20" rims, i thought it is the suspension. however, this noise is from the Rack and Pinion. around 75,000 peso parts and labour.

2) The Trottle Body is also very delicate in this car. You cannot take it off to clean it. the Car will give you an error and as to what i have read, you can only replace it. 25,000 peso parts and labour.

3) Sway bar + lower arm bushing. Due to 20" rims and our Philippines roads, these are most likely to be damaged. Sadly the lower arm bushing is not sold seperate. you have to buy the whole lower arm which is for 12,000 each side. sway bar is for 3500 peso. each.

Misc. the ABS traction control is the problem i am facing. this can be a one part or combination of many parts.

On the OBDII reader, the car indicated the code for ABS traction Control Module. also there was a software update for it. after updating the ABS control module software and then removing the code, everything worked just fine until yesterday.
    since then the error has popped up 3 times already along with the engine check light.

BTW:- what does OB stand for?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    this guy is a ford mechanic...

https://youtu.be/ZNxXM75zJOw

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by szekan View Post
    thanks everyone for reading and replying to this thread. well the Ford explorer does have issues of its own. After searching and reading day and night, i have gathered some information about this car. anyone trying to buy a preowned ford explorer, please read this thread.
    1) the rack and pinion is a big problem in this car and many have mechanics plus casa have confirmed this. during my purchase, i tried 5 explorer limited and all of them had a weird clunking sound on rough roads. thinking that the car has 20" rims, i thought it is the suspension. however, this noise is from the Rack and Pinion. around 75,000 peso parts and labour.

2) The Trottle Body is also very delicate in this car. You cannot take it off to clean it. the Car will give you an error and as to what i have read, you can only replace it. 25,000 peso parts and labour.

3) Sway bar + lower arm bushing. Due to 20" rims and our Philippines roads, these are most likely to be damaged. Sadly the lower arm bushing is not sold seperate. you have to buy the whole lower arm which is for 12,000 each side. sway bar is for 3500 peso. each.

Misc. the ABS traction control is the problem i am facing. this can be a one part or combination of many parts.

On the OBDII reader, the car indicated the code for ABS traction Control Module. also there was a software update for it. after updating the ABS control module software and then removing the code, everything worked just fine until yesterday.
    since then the error has popped up 3 times already along with the engine check light.

BTW:- what does OB stand for?

on beacon - bec i try to be a beacon of light and clarity in this community

5. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    got my car repaired... it worked for 1 day and after that the steering became stiff with "power steering assist fault". car is with dealer and I think they will tell me to replace the power steering rack which will cost me around 200k.
    now after doing some research, I entered my VIN in ford website USA and it shows that my car has 3 recalls and one if them is for the power steering failure.
    question is can Ford Philippines replace it for free if I show them the information on Ford website ?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Not sure about Ford Phil....but legally they should regardless of who is the current owner. The recall stick to the VIN# of the affected vehicle. I remember Honda Phil does that...they have a lot of recall in Honda CRV back then.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    got my car repaired... it worked for 1 day and after that the steering became stiff with "power steering assist fault". car is with dealer and I think they will tell me to replace the power steering rack which will cost me around 200k.
    now after doing some research, I entered my VIN in ford website USA and it shows that my car has 3 recalls and one if them is for the power steering failure.
    question is can Ford Philippines replace it for free if I show them the information on Ford website ?
    contact Ford PH. they should still deliver that modification.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    ford is still trying to get the approval for the warranty recall.... fingers crossed it should be good news..
    for all those people who are trying to buy a second hand Ford Explorer, please go to ford website and enter the VIN which is on lower right of the winshield. if there are recalls, then please get it done because i think there are many many explorers with the faulty power steering assembly and the other common fault if burning smell when the explorer is pushed hard....

9. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    just an update,
    my car was diagnosed as rack and pinion fault and was covered under the recall program for free. the car seems to be perfect now and most of the problems have seem to have gone away with this replacement.
    any error which says
    Service advantrac
    Power steering assist failure
    Awd off
    Terrain management fault
    traction control fault
    knocking sound from suspension

these are all symptoms of a failing rack and pinion. if your car explorer is between 2011-2013, there was a recall and you might qualify for it.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    just an update,
    my car was diagnosed as rack and pinion fault and was covered under the recall program for free. the car seems to be perfect now and most of the problems have seem to have gone away with this replacement.
    any error which says
    Service advantrac
    Power steering assist failure
    Awd off
    Terrain management fault
    traction control fault
    knocking sound from suspension

these are all symptoms of a failing rack and pinion. if your car explorer is between 2011-2013, there was a recall and you might qualify for it.
    how many days did you have to wait for parts and how long did it take to replace the r&p?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast