New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Hi guys,

Prior to my previous post, i have a Ford Escape na na stuck up for almost a year and a half. Before, nasira ang Fuel Pump now Power Steering sensor naman. I was thinking na baka madami pang sira ang lumabas dahil sa pagkakastuck-up. I am opting to change engine instead, (mahirap na ibenta ito due to problems at fuel efficiency) as maganda ang riding comfort nya for me at maganda ang design.

May ma susuggest ba kayo compatible engine for this na diesel? i heard may ilan na nag convert.

Thanks in advance Guys.

RMNL

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    baka mahirapan ka pre kasi primarily front wheel drive ang escape, so ang pag mount ng engine nya pahalang sa bay.

you can try the ford ranger diesel engine, pero medyo matindi tindi na modify gagawin mo dito. ang jologs naman kung lalagyan mo ng 4d56 ng mitsubishi yan.

i suggest ibenta mo na lang as is where is.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    baka mahirapan ka pre kasi primarily front wheel drive ang escape, so ang pag mount ng engine nya pahalang sa bay.

you can try the ford ranger diesel engine, pero medyo matindi tindi na modify gagawin mo dito. ang jologs naman kung lalagyan mo ng 4d56 ng mitsubishi yan.

i suggest ibenta mo na lang as is where is.
    Won't fit. And it's designed for longitudinal mounting. You'd have to make an adaptor plate for the transmission, then figure out how to wire two totally incompatible systems.

The closest you can get to a diesel designed for the Escape is the Mazda RF engine. You'll have to ask one of the importers on mazdatech.org if they can source this. This engine came in the BJ-platform (Ford Lynx/Mazda Protege) and the 626. Since the BJ platform is a narrowed and shortened 626 chassis and the Escape is built on a modified 626 platform, there's a chance the engine will fit... and a chance it will talk with the instrument cluster (meaning, you will have less wiring nightmares than is typical for this kind of swap).

I'm 80% sure this kind of swap is possible... possibly with some machine shop work done on the drive axles... but kind of pointless.

Otherwise, you're stuck with trying to make something like a Nissan CD20 work. Forget using a transverse Hyundai CRDi engine, not unless you have a master's degree in electrical engineering...

-

Let me edit: Pointless and freaking expensive. Seriously... how much does a Fuel Pump cost at an outside shop like MazFord or Fordland? Not even 1/10th as much as you'd spend on this crazy swap.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rmnl View Post
    Hi guys,

Prior to my previous post, i have a Ford Escape na na stuck up for almost a year and a half. Before, nasira ang Fuel Pump now Power Steering sensor naman. I was thinking na baka madami pang sira ang lumabas dahil sa pagkakastuck-up. I am opting to change engine instead, (mahirap na ibenta ito due to problems at fuel efficiency) as maganda ang riding comfort nya for me at maganda ang design.

May ma susuggest ba kayo compatible engine for this na diesel? i heard may ilan na nag convert.

Thanks in advance Guys.

RMNL

Given any thoughts of keeping the original engine and converting it to run on Auto-LPG as a dedicated system with the gasoline system fully disabled?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    does a focus TDCi engine wont fit on the escape?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aejhayl17 View Post
    does a focus TDCi engine wont fit on the escape?
    Find one secondhand, then ask again.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Focus TDCi engine would cost around 150,000 - 200,000 secondhand.

Still... good luck finding one.

-

Anything will fit anywhere if there's enough space to physically shove it in. The real question is how much money are you willing to part with to make it happen. If it's the TDCi engine, you'll need a hell of lot of it. CRDi ECUs are real finicky, and you may never get it working properly on a realistic budget... not unless you convert it to low-pressure injection and run it with a standalone ECU (this part of the conversion alone would cost 60,000 - 100,000 by itself).

-

*rmni: Seriously, for a daily driver, fix the fuel pump and just get the car running again. I can't believe you're so reluctant to replace a fuel pump that costs a few thousand bucks (or less... I didn't really pay much for mine at Fordland) whereas you're considering tearing apart a perfectly good car, shoving an unknown engine in it, and potentially spending 80,000 to 150,000 pesos on a conversion that would disable your instrument gauges, require extra maintenance in terms of electronic troubleshooting and would likely never run as well?

100,000 should be a safe budget if you can find a secondhand RF engine. For a swap that's completely unknown locally, the shop will have to do weeks of custom wiring and a lot of custom parts fabrication. This includes engine mounts, possibly drive axles or transmission adapter plates. If you're lucky, the RF will mate straight up to the stock Escape transmission... which is why I suggested it... and save you some money. If you're really lucky, an RF from a 626 will even mate with your stock engine mounts and plug straight into your dashboard. I doubt it... but you could get really, really lucky.

Or you could, you know... do the sensible thing... fix the car, then go GH's route. Get a 20,000 peso LPG kit and be done with it.
    Last edited by niky; July 1st, 2010 at 10:10 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the inputs. Well i already got my fuel pump fixed as well as the sensors, before i made this post pa.

Just a quick note, this car got stuck for a year and a half and even before it got stuck i seldom use it way back 2005 (when i got it -brandnew). Odometer reading, only 10,000kms. Got my very first change oil last 2 weeks ago lang hahaha, i was in and out of the country dahil sa work kaya napabayaan. Thats why im considering to change the engine kung isa isa lang din maglalabasan ang sira at ipapaayos ko isa-isa. Bago ko ipagawa i canvass parts muna at Ford Casa, imagine a Fuel pump costs Php 53,000? Sa auto supply, fuel pump assembly is only Php 8,100.

Well, sa akin kasi kung unti unti lang sya masisira and would cost me a fortune, i might as well spend 100k up for an engine replacement.

Right now im staying in the phils muna for a long time and thats why ill be needing this for my daily commuting.

*ghosthunter, pag aralan ko yung suggestion mo. siguro if others will give me feedback with the pros and cons sa LPG conversion, i might give this a go.

Thanks again

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmnl View Post
    Thanks for the inputs. Well i already got my fuel pump fixed as well as the sensors, before i made this post pa.

Just a quick note, this car got stuck for a year and a half and even before it got stuck i seldom use it way back 2005 (when i got it -brandnew). Odometer reading, only 10,000kms. Got my very first change oil last 2 weeks ago lang hahaha, i was in and out of the country dahil sa work kaya napabayaan. Thats why im considering to change the engine kung isa isa lang din maglalabasan ang sira at ipapaayos ko isa-isa. Bago ko ipagawa i canvass parts muna at Ford Casa, imagine a Fuel pump costs Php 53,000? Sa auto supply, fuel pump assembly is only Php 8,100.

Well, sa akin kasi kung unti unti lang sya masisira and would cost me a fortune, i might as well spend 100k up for an engine replacement.

Right now im staying in the phils muna for a long time and thats why ill be needing this for my daily commuting.

*ghosthunter, pag aralan ko yung suggestion mo. siguro if others will give me feedback with the pros and cons sa LPG conversion, i might give this a go.

Thanks again
    Change your casa. They probably quoted you for an entire fuel tank, not just a fuel pump.

While there are niggles, they aren't enough to justify swapping out the entire engine. And even then, if you get a secondhand diesel engine that will fit an Escape, there's no assurance that it won't break down, either.

Given that no local CUVs came with diesels until Hyundai-Kia brought them in, spare parts for a transverse diesel will be incredibly hard to find. It might end up being more of a cash drain and a headache than just keeping the original engine going... at least you now know where to get parts.

In the end, consider: if you're so dissatisfied with the car that you want to change out the engine, why not simply sell it and buy something else? ;)

9. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Well i could possibly sell this. It also crossed my mind. sayang lang i wasnt able to fully use it at i-patalo sale. i doubt if this will be bought 500k pa.

For the mean time lagi ko sya ginagamit, so far wala pang bumibigay pa (Hopefully last na yun). And oh, gas floater pa pala, i need to replace it na rin. I did all the maintenance na rin.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    would a diesel RVR engine fit? i have a friend that converted his galant to a diesel engine,, using an RVR diesel engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ford Escape - Changing to a diesel engine