New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Came across this article while trying to research on faulty gas caps (i think gas fumes escape on mine.. )

Ford to deploy Capless Fuel Filler across model line

Ford's Capless Fuel Filler — which was first put into production on the Ford GT — is set to debut across the company's product lineup starting with the 2008 Lincoln MKS, the automaker announced today. The capless system is a "tangible example of how Ford is developing innovative product solutions to satisfy the unmet needs of consumers," the company said. Capless fuel filler technology eliminates the inconvenience of forgetting to put the gas cap back on after fueling and saves time during refueling by eliminating the need to unscrew a fuel filler cap. It's also better for the environment because no gas fumes escape.

Last edited by NazQ; August 23rd, 2006 at 10:48 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Easier to steal gas from, then?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Looks like a toilet. How lazy can Americans get?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I think that's more likely to leak...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    The pictures remind me of something that I do with my GF.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    question is how durable it is? di rin kaya pumasok yung tubig pagnasira yung cover o nakaligtaan?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    seems like may vacuum seal sa gilid ng fuel filler... good idea though. less hassle

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mukhang magandang concept naman. I for one once forgot my Sedona's gas tank cap in QC and I travelled all the way to Tarlac without it. Buti na lang suki ako sa Petron station kung saan ako nagpakarga kaya andun pa yung cap pagbalik ko.

Here's another write-up on the technology from the Ford Media web site:

DEARBORN, August 21, 2006 - When the Lincoln MKS debuts in 2008, it will become the second vehicle in Ford Motor Company's product line to use a capless fuel filler.

Ford was first to the market with the technology, installing it on the Ford GT supercar.

The capless fuel system provides a much better seal than a cap, as it isn't opened until the fuel pump nozzle is inserted. When capless fueling is completed, the nozzle is removed and the system seals shut automatically.

When the gas pump nozzle is put into the fuel filler point, it pushes open a spring-loaded metal flap.

Capless fuel filler technology serves several purposes. It not only eliminates the inconvenience of forgetting to put the gas cap back on after fueling, but it also saves time during refueling by doing away with unscrewing and replacing a fuel filler cap.

The system could prove to benefit the environment as well. Inappropriately installed, broken or missing gas caps can allow emissions to escape. These vapors combine for a prime cause of smog.

The new system will be simple and seamless to the customer and practically invisible, hiding behind the same fuel door found on today's vehicles. It is also easily integrated into other Ford and Lincoln Mercury vehicles.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    finally. another long-overdue invention for the car. :lol:

Ford to deploy Capless Fuel Filler across model line