New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, with the plugs removed, I still wouldn't recommend cranking, even with the plugs out, as this'll just mix more water into the oil. Just use an air hose and dry the sucker out... then air it out to be sure, and replace all the fluids.

Of course, that's if you're lucky and the engine died right away after ingestion. Most of the time, if you have water ingestion while running, you're f****ed.

Like oliver1013 said, and like I've learned from bitter experience... once you're in a flood of appreciable height, forget trying to save the car and driving out. Just stop the engine and try to push the car to safety. It's a pain to dry out electronics, but wet electronics are cheaper to fix than wet electronics AND a broken engine.

Oh, and there are certain cars that you shouldn't drive in even bumper level floods due to the intake position... such as older Lancers, EFI Sentras (carb'd ones have higher air intake tubes) and the Optra. Newer designs like the Mazda3 have intake ducts just above the grille, which means that as long as you can see your headlights above the water, you're kinda safe.

But, best bet? If the water is high enough to touch any part of the body, don't risk it.
    Last edited by niky; December 14th, 2006 at 09:22 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    Well its a FORD!!
    Read the other thread. They drove it through water and hydrolocked the engine. Any car will ventilate its block when hydrolocked, no matter what brand it is.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    i like reading the threads here, very educational. just like reading a book in national bookstore for free. keep it up! im learning thanks.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Baka nga naman akala ng mag-asawa its for FORDing water, FORD nga, eh.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    dami ko natutunan dito. salamat tsikoteers!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    I am not a mechanic... so why is it that when water enters the air filter the engine block cracks? What causes it to crack? thanks!
    Ummm... you don't mix water when you start a fire do you?

Same thing with our engines... it is just a controlled detonation of compressed air + gasoline.

Problem is that when water enters the combustion chamber, it cannot be compressed by the piston like air. Either the engine block cracks due to the pressure or when the connecting rod snaps.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ayos to may bago akong nalaman tungkol sa kotse. ty mga tsikoteers.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    Haayy. Survived 4 years studying sa USTE... Ang ginagawa namin dati pag baha at wala nang atrasan....patay makina then patulak sa mga tambay!!
    ..then after na naitulak at wala nang baha, pwede na ba ulit i-start agad after the engine has been submerged (with the engine off)? ganun ba?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It would be better if you opened the air filter housing to check wheter the filter is contaminated. If not, you could probably get away with a restart. If it's wet and you're having doubts - DON'T START! But water will rarely enter an engine that has been shut off prior to fording. Unless the water was really deep or the intake was really low.

Also check the engine oil dipstick and A/T dipstick for contamination.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    So guys, if you have to cross a flooded area, any helpful tip on how to do it safely.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
A "flawed" Ford Escape (from Ray Butch Gamboa, SPMJ)[merged]