New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The best representative for the entire range would be a midrange variant which lacks pretty much most of the "toys" like the active city stop, park assist, torque vectoring features and even leather seats.
    The Trend model has most features its P900K+ competitors have, but it does offer some things its competitors don't have, like the voice activated Ford SYNC system developed by Microsoft and ESP(Electronic Stability Program).
    Another plus would be its handling/ driving dynamics, it's still considered one of the best in its class.

Speaking of leather seats, is there any sub-P1M C-segment car with leather seats?
    Last edited by AG4; August 13th, 2012 at 06:03 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    The Trend model has most features its P900K+ competitors have, but it does offer some things its competitors don't have, like the voice activated Ford SYNC system developed by Microsoft and ESP(Electronic Stability Program).

most of the time, voice controls are just little more than gimmicks than real world tools.

Another plus would be its handling/ driving dynamics, it's still considered one of the best in its class.
    ... it might be good but there are other cars in the same category which can also par the Focus.

Speaking of leather seats, is there any sub-P1M C-segment car with leather seats?
    The sub-P1M Focus does not have leather seats, di ba?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 13th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    most of the time, voice controls are just little more than gimmicks than real world tools.
    Bluetooth is useful though. The Bluetooth system on the Fiesta works pretty well.

Nissan Sentra GS, 845k.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Haaayysss...in short the Mitsubishi ASX is the best car there is.

:D

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I see nothing wrong in offering extra features you think is not important or is a gimick.
    They do offer (ESP)Electronic Stability Program on the Trend, I don't think that one is a gimick.

The sub-P1M Focus does not have leather seats, di ba?
    That's the point, no other new sub-P1M C-segment car offers that, the Trend's additional features is more on voice control/connectivity (which you think are gimicks) and safety (ESP).

Candy Red Focus Trend hatchback pics from Thailand

PS: Between ESP and leather seats, i'd go for ESP.

...and if I or anybody I know were in the market for compact crossover/ hatch on stilts, the ASX would be one of the vehicle options I'd recommend.
    Last edited by AG4; August 13th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The Trend variant is pretty competitive vis-a-vis other vehicles in its class, definitely deserves a second look when one's in the market for a mid-range compact. For 989k, you get a 1.6L engine paired with a 6-speed DCT (hopefully better tuned than the Fiesta's, though there's sequential shifting anyway), ESP, voice control, Bluetooth, on top of the usual set of features you'd expect. Not sure if it's got parking sensors or a rear backup camera though.

The Elantra, on the other hand, has the better engine. Not sure about the space since I haven't tested the Focus, but the Elantra is definitely one of the roomiest in its class as well, so it'd be hard for the Focus to top that. Other features included are the heated side mirrors, variable intermittent wipers (I find this useful over standard intermittent wipers), rear parking sensors and iPod connectivity, but the latter's becoming pretty common.

If you want toys, there's the Altis. Push-start ignition, automatic climate control, Bluetooth, variable intermittent wipers, front and rear parking sensors, and so on. Only has a 1.6L engine and an old 4-AT though, but at least it's pretty fuel efficient.

Other compacts have their pros and cons too, like the Civic 1.8E's good engine but bare feature set, the Cruze's good ride, roomy interior but slow tranny and thirsty engine, the Lancer MX's good feature set (rivals the Altis, actually), but also shares its 1.6L + 4AT combo, and so on. Then there's the wholly subjective topic of interior and exterior design.

At the end of the day, the Focus Trend may not be the go-to compact for everyone, but none of the competition is, anyway.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The Trend variant is pretty competitive vis-a-vis other vehicles in its class, definitely deserves a second look when one's in the market for a mid-range compact. For 989k, you get a 1.6L engine paired with a 6-speed DCT (hopefully better tuned than the Fiesta's, though there's sequential shifting anyway), ESP, voice control, Bluetooth, on top of the usual set of features you'd expect. Not sure if it's got parking sensors or a rear backup camera though.

The Elantra, on the other hand, has the better engine. Not sure about the space since I haven't tested the Focus, but the Elantra is definitely one of the roomiest in its class as well, so it'd be hard for the Focus to top that. Other features included are the heated side mirrors, variable intermittent wipers (I find this useful over standard intermittent wipers), rear parking sensors and iPod connectivity, but the latter's becoming pretty common.

If you want toys, there's the Altis. Push-start ignition, automatic climate control, Bluetooth, variable intermittent wipers, front and rear parking sensors, and so on. Only has a 1.6L engine and an old 4-AT though, but at least it's pretty fuel efficient.

Other compacts have their pros and cons too, like the Civic 1.8E's good engine but bare feature set, the Cruze's good ride, roomy interior but slow tranny and thirsty engine, the Lancer MX's good feature set (rivals the Altis, actually), but also shares its 1.6L + 4AT combo, and so on. Then there's the wholly subjective topic of interior and exterior design.
    The Trend has variable intermittent wipers (its on the left stalk of the RHD model in the photo), even the whole Fiesta range and previous Focus have them. Other new C-segment cars also have this feature now, I think this is what Toyota lists as Intermittent Wiper "With Time Adjustment".
    Backup sensors is not standard on the Trend, but its usually available as a dealer option though.

At the end of the day, the Focus Trend may not be the go-to compact for everyone, but none of the competition is, anyway.
    That's true, some lean towards offering better mechanical and/or safety features, some lean more towards offering extra gadgets.
    At the end its up to the buyer, which type of features he/she prioritzes more.
    Last edited by AG4; August 13th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I was expecting variable intermittent wipers to be standard on all cars today, since even my uncle's 1995 Sentra SS had it. Turns out it's still kinda rare though. Pretty useful during light rainshowers when the amount of rainfall isn't very standard and not strong enough to warrant continuous wiping.

Automatic rain sensors are the way to go though - nice to have, but not deal-breaking. Same with push-button ignition, it's proven to be very convenient, but I could still live without it.

On the other hand, auto-on/off headlamps are pretty useless, since it's kinda hard to miss if you're driving at night with your headlamps off.

Backup sensors are cheap to install anyway, so it's fine if a car doesn't have them.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was expecting variable intermittent wipers to be standard on all cars today, since even my uncle's 1995 Sentra SS had it. Turns out it's still kinda rare though. Pretty useful during light rainshowers when the amount of rainfall isn't very standard and not strong enough to warrant continuous wiping.
    Same thing with me. I would expect this feature to be standard on all levels of cars today.

Backup sensors are cheap to install anyway, so it's fine if a car doesn't have them.
    Backup sensors would be nice to be standard because sometimes the dealer would not color the sensors to match the bumper.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Automatic rain sensors are the way to go though - nice to have, but not deal-breaking. Same with push-button ignition, it's proven to be very convenient, but I could still live without it.

On the other hand, auto-on/off headlamps are pretty useless, since it's kinda hard to miss if you're driving at night with your headlamps off.
    Same case actually for automatic rain sensing wipers, when it rains, I instinctively switch on the wipers anyway.