New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Of course it does, no one said it didn't. Same with the XV and the CX-5. Really great handling CUVs, better than wafty cars such as the Altis. Not better than great handling sedans like the Mazda 3 though, and most likely the Focus (if its cousin the Mz3 is any indication). CUVs just have higher centers of gravity and ceteris paribus, will struggle slightly more on corners than sedans. It's a trade off for the higher ride height.
    Pointing out that CG of a CUV may not be as high as you would think. It is surprising when you take a look underneath one.

Taking the ASX as the example, the engine is actually mounted low in the engine bay as well as other heavy components. This means the ASX can have handling capabilities close to cars like the Altis or even surpass it due to suspension or wheel configuration/specifications. Also just pointing out I have driven my ASX at a faster pace than most cars through the twisting roads in Tanay, Rizal..., practically matching what my previous car Lancer EX would do in the same corners.

Just pointing out my experience versus what is printed on paper.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    And the argument for compacts over CUVs doesn't just concern handling. There's still price, features, and depending on what you're comparing, space (because some CUVs have less cargo room than a Jazz, while others don't have any more rear passenger space than a compact).
    The jazz would only have more cargo space if the rear seats would be folded down. The only CUV with very small cargo space is the Kia Soul. The typical example of a CUV would be the Tucson, ASX and XV.

And given the recent flooding highlights, having a few inches of underchassis clearance is a big comfort when driving through a flooded city. The exact same reason why many have opted to go full SUV like the Montero Sport.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yet an ASX or any other gas fed CUV isn't any better than a gas fed sedan. Diesel fed CUVs on the other hand are at least 1.3M, and the price difference with TOTL compacts would take around 3-5 years to recoup.
    Just saying, people will buy a car they want, even if they cannot figure out how they would be paying the gas bill to drive it at the time of purchase.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Among the SUVs I've flogged through corners, the CX-5 was the most car-like to drive. Yet, it still didn't feel as nimble taking turns as a Mazda 3 2.0R. Haven't tried the ASX but you said it was pretty similar to the CX-5 anyway.

Never brought an SUV to Tanay though, but I wouldn't be surprised if some can go faster than what I've done with an Altis 2.0V. It'd be nice to have a run with SUVs/CUVs some time, para hindi laging sedan. Only other type of vehicle I've brought there was an old pickup, with the only thrills coming from the fact that its internal bits might fall off anytime. But I digress.

Still, I'd bet good money that a Focus Sport+ handles better than any CUV in the market today, while coming out cheaper and with more features than most.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Among the SUVs I've flogged through corners, the CX-5 was the most car-like to drive. Yet, it still didn't feel as nimble taking turns as a Mazda 3 2.0R. Haven't tried the ASX but you said it was pretty similar to the CX-5 anyway.
    That is where we differ. You judge by FEEL. I judge by actual performance of the vehicle through the same corner.

I have said the CX-5 and ASX feels the same in the way it rides, I have yet to push the CX-5 close to the limits of it's handling. But I have been pushing the ASX closer to the limits of handling in the same way I have pushed my lancer ex when I drive through the roads in Tanay.

Never brought an SUV to Tanay though, but I wouldn't be surprised if some can go faster than what I've done with an Altis 2.0V. It'd be nice to have a run with SUVs/CUVs some time, para hindi laging sedan. Only other type of vehicle I've brought there was an old pickup, with the only thrills coming from the fact that its internal bits might fall off anytime. But I digress.
    It might not be as enjoyable in an Altis because it just feels "dead" or not engaging to drive.

Still, I'd bet good money that a Focus Sport+ handles better than any CUV in the market today, while coming out cheaper and with more features than most.
    It maybe faster, but as with choosing a car to buy, "fun" is usually among the last few on the proverbial list for most car buyers.

For the lucky few who would buy a vehicle for "fun" would probably choose a totally different car.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The jazz would only have more cargo space if the rear seats would be folded down. The only CUV with very small cargo space is the Kia Soul. The typical example of a CUV would be the Tucson, ASX and XV.
    Compared to the trunk of my Altis though, the difference isn't huge. I even find that the Sportage can hold less overall. Easier to load stuff with a CUV cuz of the hatch, but then that's what hatchbacks are for. My standard for CUVs has always been the gen1 CR-V, which had both good rear passenger space and ample cargo space.

And given the recent flooding highlights, having a few inches of underchassis clearance is a big comfort when driving through a flooded city. The exact same reason why many have opted to go full SUV like the Montero Sport.
    True. The clearance is useful given the pockmarked roads and floods. Which is why I'm still considering the Sportage over the Focus, but the price difference, features and overall drive makes me favor the latter right now. I'll see how good it really is once I get to test drive the car. Win-a-Focus promo aside, there haven't been any units available for us ordinary citizens.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    True. The clearance is useful given the pockmarked roads and floods. Which is why I'm still considering the Sportage over the Focus, but the price difference, features and overall drive makes me favor the latter right now. I'll see how good it really is once I get to test drive the car. Win-a-Focus promo aside, there haven't been any units available for us ordinary citizens.
    You aren't alone in not being able to get a test drive unit. The last Focus I have test driven was still the last model's Focus TDCi A/T variant (where I found the interior a bit of a snug fit at best).

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    That is where we differ. You judge by FEEL. I judge by actual performance of the vehicle through the same corner.
    I don't get the opportunity to drive different cars in the exact same conditions so I can only estimate. For example, I've driven them on separate roads, but the CX-5 handles better than a Tucson because the latter has more body roll and the steering is more direct.

It might not be as enjoyable in an Altis because it just feels "dead" or not engaging to drive.
    I concur. Compared to a Mazda 3 (which is currently my benchmark among compact sedans), its steering has very little feedback. Transmission's slow too.

It maybe faster, but as with choosing a car to buy, "fun" is usually among the last few on the proverbial list for most car buyers.

For the lucky few who would buy a vehicle for "fun" would probably choose a totally different car.
    It's not to say that the Focus is all fun and little function (that's more of a Suzuki Swift), since it does come packed with features, an advanced drivetrain, and based on pictures, has a big enough hatch for groceries or a weekend out of town.

You aren't alone in not being able to get a test drive unit. The last Focus I have test driven was still the last model's Focus TDCi A/T variant (where I found the interior a bit of a snug fit at best).
    Well the new Focus isn't built on the old C1 platform anymore so one can assume it to be more spacious than the old one it replaces. Not like the Mazda 3, which is bigger than the first gen but still pretty cramped since it uses the same platform anyway.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's not to say that the Focus is all fun and little function (that's more of a Suzuki Swift), since it does come packed with features, an advanced drivetrain, and based on pictures, has a big enough hatch for groceries or a weekend out of town.
    But the lower variants of the FOCUS do not have the same "toys". And the expected bulk in sales for the Focus would be in these variants, not the top of the line variants.

The best representative for the entire range would be a midrange variant which lacks pretty much most of the "toys" like the active city stop, park assist, torque vectoring features and even leather seats.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    But the lower variants of the FOCUS do not have the same "toys". And the expected bulk in sales for the Focus would be in these variants, not the top of the line variants.

The best representative for the entire range would be a midrange variant which lacks pretty much most of the "toys" like the active city stop, park assist, torque vectoring features and even leather seats.
    The premise of the whole thread was the TOTL variants of compacts. Hence the whole comparison with CUVs. Midrange offerings are a totally different discussion, and personally I don't find the new Focus as compelling in that segment, though it does have its merits over the more common Elantra and Corolla.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast