New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Is there anybody here who has converted their ford expedition's air suspension into a coil spring set up?
    While the expy rides great with the air suspension, the system is unreliable with parts breaking or malfunctioning always.
    A passive coil spring set up is offered by some shops here.
    But I would like to get some feedback before making the plunge.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    maybe it's a better idea to buy aftermarket air suspension systems designed to be compatible with the exped na lang? maybe there are companies that specialize in such things dito?

baka kasi magkaroon ng structural integrity issues pag nagtagal if you do a straight conversion. i've seen this once before, my grandfather's old renault with an air baloon system for shocks was converted to rigid damper-over-prefab-frame, the damn thing broke after 3 months.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The base model Expedition uses coil springs. Air springs are an option in the U.S. market. You can try to order base-model springs from the dealer.

But from what I have read, the coil setup does not perform as well as the optional air suspension in all aspects.

Sure ba na sirain? Ours is reliable naman.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My expy, which i got second hand two years ago from ford makati, is a 4x4 xlt with four corner air suspension.
    For the past two years, I have replaced solenoids, relays, and several other parts already. The technicians at ford are now saying my air compressor is about to conk out because it is vibrating terribly and making unusual noises, and that my front air shocks are already worn out and may give way soon. All in all, it would cost me about 58,000 for the compressor and shocks alone. That is excluding the other parts that will break in a matter of time.
    To save myself from all these troubles and expenses, I am looking at replacing the system with a kit from strutmasters (specifically for the ford expy) which would replace the two front shocks with coil overs, and the two rear air springs with durable coils.
    The kit would cost PhP 55,000 all in and theres a lifetime guarantee.
    With normal coils and shocks, the expy would be more reliable for long trips and strurdier over rough roads, although the ride would naturally become stiffer.

OTEP

Is your expy 4x4 or 4x2?
    Does it have four corner LLS? or two corner (front only)?
    How is your air compressor functioning? Is it noisy? Does it switch on and off even when the vehicle is traveling over smooth pavement or just standing still?
    Have you observed how long is the duration of the air compressor's cycles during normal city driving?

VOLTSCASTILLO

aftermarket air suspensions cost around 250 to 300k, i think, so it may not be feasible.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ours is a 4x2 XLT with a coil spring front and air spring rear. No Expeditions were offered with a front-only air suspension. Yes, expect the compressor to make some noise and that it may turn on at any time.

It cycles for more than a minute at most times. Though, nakakawalang pasensya na din namang i-observe pa. Basta gumagana ng maayos ok na.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    air compressors are supposed to be really noisy right?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    OTEP - Yes i meant rear only. Mali lang nasulat ko. The noise from the air compressor is louder than that of other expy's. i think the mounting which has rubber washers is worn out already, which is why its making such a loud vibrating/whirling noise whenever it cycles.
    Last time i took the unit to ford balintawak about two weeks ago, they conducted a leak test but they found no leaks in the system. However, when using the vehicle for a long time say two hours from qc to las pinas, the CHK SUSP lights up. Based on threads in the Ford forums, this is because the system automatically shuts down to spare the air compressor from overheating. I still dont know why the system would overwork itself when there are no leaks.

I should have bought a Pajero.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I recently sold my Expedition (2000 4x2 XLT with LLS). In more than four years I had the rig only once did I encounter a problem with its air suspension. One small part of the air line - I think its some sort of connector - cracked, therefore a leak developed. Good thing it happened in my garage - before going to work one day I was surprised to see the rig "sitting" on its tires - lowered!

I called Ford Balintawak and they sent two mechanics over to my place. They determined that the air line connector (to the compressor) was the culprit. They changed it and the problem never came back. I think I paid less than a grand for that cracked connector.

Regarding your check suspension light - was there any chance you had the rig lifted and you (or the mechanic) failed to turn the air suspension system off? The switch is located under the dashboard in the passenger side. Failure to turn the system off when you have the rig lifted can cause the system to be screwed up.

I suggest you log on to www.4x4ph.com. Send a PM to johnqpublic318. He can help you out bring in the needed kit from the US, and have it installed as well.

Hope this helps.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I have been in contact with johnqrepublic318 at ai for some time now.
    He has the kit available here in the phils now.
    The problem is I have not decided to proceed with the conversion.
    Maybe when my compressor finally conks out permanently or my two front shocks give way, that would be the time to do the conversion.
    I am also trying to sell the expy but the market price is very low.
    Sayang naman to sell at 800 to 850k because I just had the vehicle repainted at a hiend quality body shop. Also it has new batteries, tires, and internals like timing belt etc. Looks like i'll be stuck with the car for about two more years.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I finally converted my expedition's air suspension sytem into a shock/spring set up, courtesy of autotechnika and johnqrepublic.
    Up front, the expy now sports adjustable Rancho shocks (9000x) and at the rear, original coil springs from Ford.
    Surprisingly, the ride turned out to be not as uncomfortable as I expected as first. Its a little bit firmer that the air set up but not as bumpy as I had anticipated.
    Handling has improved as the firmer ride reduced the expy's trademark wallowy movement.
    Now, the ride seems more reliable and can be confidently driven for out of town trips with some minor offroad challenges. No solenoid, hose, compressor, relay, connectors, etc to break and conk out in the most opportune time.
    The conversion is highly recommended for expy owners.
    Now the only drawback in using the expy is the fuel consumption . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
expedition suspension: from air to coils