New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Additional "live" shots of the 2015 Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Put the two side by side, and the old one looks... old.

The outgoing Mustang is slab-sided, has that stupid "retro" porthole for a rear quarter window that makes the hip point seem immensely fat, headlight cuts that don't blend well with the front fenders or wheel arches, and a fat, vertical rear bumper.

It is nicer than the previous Mustang, which had more stylistic issues, but this new one just blows it away.

-

Lots of fans don't like it because it's too modern, but you do retro for too long and the cars end up looking weird (just look at the upcoming MINI hatchback)... better to make a clean break and transition to a modern style sooner than later.
    I can respect that a lot of people like the new design and have nothing against progress and modernization (last I checked the mirror, I wasn't an 86 year old grandma), but for me it's more about how it caters to the global market with its Eurasian sensibilities that make it somehow less desirable. Some distinctness was lost in favor of overarching appeal. I love my fat retro '13 Stang, lol. I dug its look from the moment I saw it. I suppose I'm siding with the contingent that doesn't think the new Mustang is a "great leap" ahead purely based on appearance, stubborn as we are. Performance, undoubtedly Ford is going to pull out some more impressive numbers once tests are released. At any rate, as an owner of the outgoing gen, I feel no inclination to line up and upgrade to the new GT. I checked out the pics when they came out, acknowledged some neat bits here and there, but wasn't really blown away.

Now, I'm not one of those haters who arbitrarily bashes on the design (perhaps because I just recently got the older model, haha) and I'll agree that it's a good-looking vehicle; in fact I look forward to the release here so that we see more Stangs on the roads. I do realize that Ford had to do this to stay competitive, even if they had to sacrifice a bit of that exclusively American intangible that made the Mustang unique. I'm curious about how they will be priced here (Vs the new Camaro, etc) and when Ford Philippines will stop selling the MY '13 so that they don't become more common a sight on our roads as they are already before the new one arrives.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crossdx View Post
    I can respect that a lot of people like the new design and have nothing against progress and modernization (last I checked the mirror, I wasn't an 86 year old grandma), but for me it's more about how it caters to the global market with its Eurasian sensibilities that make it somehow less desirable. Some distinctness was lost in favor of overarching appeal. I love my fat retro '13 Stang, lol. I dug its look from the moment I saw it. I suppose I'm siding with the contingent that doesn't think the new Mustang is a "great leap" ahead purely based on appearance, stubborn as we are. Performance, undoubtedly Ford is going to pull out some more impressive numbers once tests are released. At any rate, as an owner of the outgoing gen, I feel no inclination to line up and upgrade to the new GT. I checked out the pics when they came out, acknowledged some neat bits here and there, but wasn't really blown away.

Now, I'm not one of those haters who arbitrarily bashes on the design (perhaps because I just recently got the older model, haha) and I'll agree that it's a good-looking vehicle; in fact I look forward to the release here so that we see more Stangs on the roads. I do realize that Ford had to do this to stay competitive, even if they had to sacrifice a bit of that exclusively American intangible that made the Mustang unique.
    The S197 Mustang was launched in 2004 for the 2005MY, it was sort of a reboot, a return to the classic look of the 1st gen Mustangs, this was all good too since that was during the retro fad.
    Ford has had a retro Mustang for almost 9 years, One full reskin and one facelift.
    The problem with retro designs is you hit a dead end just like those bloated modern Minis.
    You can't just keep on making caricatures of the 1st gen Mustang. The only other way to go is to move forward.
    Designers looked back at the classic Mustangs for inspiration but they didn't just directly copy the styling of the 1st gen Mustangs.
    Mustang enthusiasts will still find many Mustang design elements in the 2015 model, they are just more subtle now.
    The next generation 2015 Mustang (S550) was designed to bring the iconic ponycar into the 2020s.

when Ford Philippines will stop selling the MY '13 so that they don't become more common a sight on our roads as they are already before the new one arrives.
    Technically, the new units arriving here are already considered 2014MY Mustangs (more or less identical to the 2013MY).
    The 2015MY Mustang will go into full production sometime in the 2nd half of 2014, my guess is we'll probably see it by the end of 2014 or early 2015.
    Last edited by AG4; December 11th, 2013 at 05:34 AM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    The new Mustang is undoubtedly a great looking car. Not just my cup of tea. The design elements that are there just don't put as much 'Mustang' in it as the overall look which makes it more in line with European makes, which I know for some (or many) is not a bad thing. I wouldn't go so far as to say those were token elements thrown in, clearly there is history in what design choices were added, but the final design still appears as if the car is trying to too hard to blend in with the global scene. My opinion, anyway. I'm almost certain it will sell like hotcakes.

I am, however, just as interested as any Mustang aficionado to see how the new hi-po models turn out. If I upgrade in the coming years, it will be a significant step up from a GT.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The last design, I actually thought it was fantastic when it came out. Solved a lot of the issues with the previous design. It's just that the new one solves problems with the current design.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    If they come up with a performance/limited edition for the new Mustang as fantastic as the '12-'13 Boss 302, then every detractor may forget about perceived design shortcomings and just line up and buy it. Haha

I'd be tempted, but I do plan to hold on to the '13 GT which has become a pseudo-daily driver for me and wait for something with significantly more horses for weekend thrills. Lots of great options these days. SVT has their work cut out for them.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If they come up with a performance/limited edition for the new Mustang as fantastic as the '12-'13 Boss 302, then every detractor may forget about perceived design shortcomings and just line up and buy it. Haha

I'd be tempted, but I do plan to hold on to the '13 GT which has become a pseudo-daily driver for me and wait for something with significantly more horses for weekend thrills. Lots of great options these days. SVT has their work cut out for them.
    Spy photo of the next high-performance Mustang (SVT/Shelby).

Here's a video. No supercharged whine, so it could be NA. GT350 perhaps?
    Mustang GT350 SVT Model Spied on Video for First Time - YouTube
    Last edited by AG4; December 11th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Here's something interesting....

Exclusive: 2015 Ford Mustang to be Quicker Thank Boss 302 Laguna Seca Out of the Box

The more we hear about the 2015 Ford Mustang, the better and better it gets.

Now, we have one more for all of you: The V-8-powered 2015 Mustang GT with the Track Pack will be even quicker and better-performing than the vaunted Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition.

According to Ford Mustang communications representative Brian Cotter, the new muscle car is being aimed at exceeding the lofty benchmarks set by the stripped-out, pared-down Boss 302 Laguna Seca, a model that doesn't even come with a back seat. Although Cotter wasn't at liberty to give us specific times and figures, he said that the car would sweep the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca bends at a time that would come under its predecessor's blistering 1:39.5 pace.
    Read More at Exclusive: 2015 Ford Mustang to be Quicker Thank Boss 302 Laguna Seca Out of the Box -- Automotive.com

2015 Ford Mustang GT

2013 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    If they can accomplish that, it would be an impressive feat indeed! I mean, the Boss 302 had an 0-60 of 4.0 secs compared to the 2013 GT's 4.6, along with stiffer suspension, lower weight, better tuned gearing ratios, etc. I don't suppose the Track pack for the new GT will bump its horsepower either, or will it? Last I read, the 2015 GT still had the 420 hp rating of the current V8.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last I read, the 2015 GT still had the 420 hp rating of the current V8.
    No, it will have more than that, official figures will be released next year.
    Here's what they said on the press release.
    Ford Mustang GT continues with the latest edition of the throaty 5.0-liter V8, now featuring an upgraded valvetrain and cylinder heads that yield more than 420 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque. A new intake manifold improves low-speed breathing for better fuel economy, idle stability and emissions.
    2015 Mustang GT with the Boss 302SX (track car)

Boss 302SX (track car)

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast