New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Today, I managed to test drive the TDCi with power shift at the Fort.

The car is real quiet for a diesel. I don't know if its the outside noise but I did not detect any diesel clatter (during startup and driving) or any vibrations.

It is very quick when floored and after a few seconds, a sudden burst of speed from the turbo will slam you to your seat back. A hyperbole, but does feel like NOS has been activated (not that I have experienced the feeling of NOS in a vehicle).The power delivery is not very linear but that is expected from DBW and turbo lag.

The speedometer is better now, but if I'm not mistaken it is not a full optitron meter. The chrome bits on the speed dials are really cheesy.

Finally, full leather upholstery! No more cloth and leather upholstery from last year.

I also noticed something unusual. The car seem to apply "brake" by itself at bumper to bumper speeds. In conventional A/T on other vehicles, vehicles keeps on going even when the gas is not depressed. To modulate the speed on slow bumper to bumper traffic, we would (repeatedly) depress/release the brake pedal. In the power shift's case, whenever I would let the car slow to a stop (not depressing the brake pedal), I feel like the car is slowing down as if brakes were applied (I repeat, my feet were on the floor, not depressing the brake pedal). So in bumper to bumper traffic, I have to keep on depressing the gas to get it moving.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Today, I managed to test drive the TDCi with power shift at the Fort.

I also noticed something unusual. The car seem to apply "brake" by itself at bumper to bumper speeds. In conventional A/T on other vehicles, vehicles keeps on going even when the gas is not depressed. To modulate the speed on slow bumper to bumper traffic, we would (repeatedly) depress/release the brake pedal. In the power shift's case, whenever I would let the car slow to a stop (not depressing the brake pedal), I feel like the car is slowing down as if brakes were applied (I repeat, my feet were on the floor, not depressing the brake pedal). So in bumper to bumper traffic, I have to keep on depressing the gas to get it moving.
    ser "number001", its because its clutch-pedal less manual tranny. its directly coupled and no torque converter to do torque multiplication (esp. helpful at low engine speed). so although u get the convenience of automatic without having to depress the clutch pedal with your legs, its quite a different animal than a slush box.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    ^ok. thanks for clarifying. Other than that, what else is different or what other quirks or gotchas does the power shift have over the conventional slush box?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    sah-wheet!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008

Parang medyo naguguluhan ako?? siguro what you mean is, knowing that its an automatic tranny.. its not like the conventional that you need to press the brake pedal to keep the car at a stop?? cause diba once you depress the brakes the car will move slowly.. so dito sa focus hindi siya umaandar even when the brakes is depressed? hindi nakatapak..

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    This model came in a year late for me...was shopping around for a new car in April and the focus was my first choice but Ford was still selling the pre-facelifted model. The SA told me that the newer model wasnt coming to our shores ...

Anyways, I do think that the Focus is still the best compact hatch out there...for two generations in a row, Honda, Vauxhall (GM), and VW hasnt been able to match the sharpness and dynamism of the Focus chassis. Its more practical too...with more legroom, boot space. Its so good, that the next gen (2010) Mazda 3 still uses the same basic platform.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cutedlawrence View Post
    Parang medyo naguguluhan ako?? siguro what you mean is, knowing that its an automatic tranny.. its not like the conventional that you need to press the brake pedal to keep the car at a stop?? cause diba once you depress the brakes the car will move slowly.. so dito sa focus hindi siya umaandar even when the brakes is depressed? hindi nakatapak..

To clarify on words I used in my previous post.

depress = push down.

Ford Power shift: will only move when you gas it.
    Conventional torque converter tranny: will move at very low speed even when you don't gas it.

Reason why?

Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM
    ser "number001", its because its clutch-pedal less manual tranny. its directly coupled and no torque converter to do torque multiplication (esp. helpful at low engine speed). so although u get the convenience of automatic without having to depress the clutch pedal with your legs, its quite a different animal than a slush box.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    To clarify on words I used in my previous post.

depress = push down.

Ford Power shift: will only move when you gas it.
    Conventional torque converter tranny: will move at very low speed even when you don't gas it.

Reason why?
    yess.. hehe.. that's what makes it a bit confusing... when you say depress means to let go of the gas right?? or not to step on it.. to press on the gas means to step on it.. or to push down like you said..

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    ang ganda ng focus hatch facelift. i think this maybe the first time I got interested
    to a model car that had just undergone a facelift

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cutedlawrence View Post
    yess.. hehe.. that's what makes it a bit confusing... when you say depress means to let go of the gas right?? or not to step on it.. to press on the gas means to step on it.. or to push down like you said..
    ser "cutedlawrence", in my understanding of the english language

[depress = press down = push down ]

any English experts care to comment? hehe.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
2008 Ford Focus (euro version) major facelift