New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Smoothies and fruit juices are a new risk to health, US scientists warn

Smoothies and fruit juices are 'the next step in the evolution of the battle', says Barry Popkin. Photograph: Linda Nylind for the Guardian
    Fruit juices and smoothies represent a new risk to our health because of the amount of sugar the apparently healthy drinks contain, warn the US scientists who blew the whistle on corn syrup in soft drinks a decade ago.

Barry Popkin and George Bray pointed the finger at high fructose corn syrup in soft drinks in 2004, causing a huge headache for the big manufacturers, including Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

"Smoothies and fruit juice are the new danger," said Popkin, a distinguished professor at the department of nutrition at the University of North Carolina, in an interview with the Guardian.

He added: "It's kind of the next step in the evolution of the battle. And it's a really big part of it because in every country they've been replacing soft drinks with fruit juice and smoothies as the new healthy beverage. So you will find that Coke and Pepsi have bought dozens [of fruit juice companies] around the globe."

more.....
    Smoothies and fruit juices are a new risk to health, US scientists warn | Society | The Guardian

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    kain lang ng kain!
    alam mo ba sa pagkain ang ikamamatay mo?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Duda ko funded ng beverage company yung professor na yun..hehehe. Another black propaganda.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    the professor is speaking against Coca-Cola and Pepsi coz both companies have entered the smoothies market

In the UK, Coca-Cola owns Innocent smoothies while PepsiCo has Tropicana. Launching Tropicana smoothies in 2008, Pepsi's sales pitch was that the drink would help the nation to reach its five a day fruit and vegetable target. "Smoothies are one of the easiest ways to boost daily fruit intake as each 250ml portion contains the equivalent of 2 fruit portions," it said at the time.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Everything in moderation

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Any fruit juice that is bottled or canned can't be healthy for you. Even fresh smoothies (jamba juice or big chill etc) are full of calories.

I rarely drink bottled or canned fruit juice. I take it as a treat and never thought of it as a healthy drink.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    ^even del monte pineapple?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Any fruit juice that is bottled or canned can't be healthy for you. Even fresh smoothies (jamba juice or big chill etc) are full of calories.

I rarely drink bottled or canned fruit juice. I take it as a treat and never thought of it as a healthy drink.
    Everything has calories naman talaga eh. But fresh juices and smoothies w/o the sugar syrup is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    #retzing

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismarte View Post
    ^even del monte pineapple?
    Yes. It has preservatives and that's high in sugar.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Everything has calories naman talaga eh. But fresh juices and smoothies w/o the sugar syrup is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    #retzing
    Yes I agree on that. I was speaking of canned and bottled juices.

Real healthy fruit juice, yung fresh squeezed fruits using a juicer and no added sugar/syrup. Yung orange juice sa Rustan's rockwell and S&R healthy yun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast