New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Here's what i don't get about tuna: on one hand, it seems like a high class fish, on demand in sushi bars/japanese restos around the world..but, on the other hand, we see a lot of canned tuna, which is more for the masses. In fact, it's one of my favorite rations here in the office for OT-Y sessions.

i do know there are different breeds of tuna, and have different classifications/prices. But with tuna stocks dwindling, and demand for tuna rising, but it's just a bit nuts to me that we're canning it like cheap sardines.

Speaking of which, why is tuna picked for canning? Wouldn't it be more economical to can some other smaller fish, e.g. mackerel, herring?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    You're right with dwindling stocks of tuna. A lot of tuna now comes from countries in the Pacific like Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands and Kiribati. In fact, two Philippine companies have been operating tuna canneries in Papua New Guinea for years.

In the Philippine market, we get the whiter meat. Tuna also has really dark meat that smells a lot more gamey / slimey. The dark meat is the really cheap meat which when tinned is sold in less developed countries. Tuna is packed simply for ease of transport, longevity in terms of shelf life, versatility in terms of flavours and convenience.

The really nice tuna would be the blue fin tuna which can be quite expensive. The best part is the toro which is the fatty belly that has a lot of fat marbling similar to a beef cut like a scotch fillet / rib-eye.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Hmm, why is it cheap sir, no demand? It still seems like a waste to can a fish that size.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Here's what i don't get about tuna: on one hand, it seems like a high class fish, on demand in sushi bars/japanese restos around the world..but, on the other hand, we see a lot of canned tuna, which is more for the masses. In fact, it's one of my favorite rations here in the office for OT-Y sessions.

i do know there are different breeds of tuna, and have different classifications/prices. But with tuna stocks dwindling, and demand for tuna rising, but it's just a bit nuts to me that we're canning it like cheap sardines.

Speaking of which, why is tuna picked for canning? Wouldn't it be more economical to can some other smaller fish, e.g. mackerel, herring?
    But mackerel and herring (as sardines pa nga) is being canned already. Tuna is a healthy fish meat (for those without gout problems hehe) kasi and abundant din naman kaya it is ideal for canning.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    based dun sa nakausap ko na nag wowork sa tuna industry sa gensan before.

ang mga tuna na for canning is yung lower class quality.... yung class a are exported and most of the time, yung mga latak na parts ng class a and class b tuna are gathered and are canned.

i just dont know how they classify the classes. payat ba? yung medyo walang laman? i really dont know.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; July 3rd, 2014 at 11:37 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    based dun sa nakausap ko na nag wowork sa tuna industry sa gensan before.

ang mga tuna na for canning is yung lower class quality.... yung class a are exported and most of the time, yung mga latak na parts ng class a and class b tuna are gathered and are canned.

i just dont know how they classify the classes. payat ba? yung medyo walang laman? i really dont know.
    Based sa amoy, texture ng laman (kita mo yung mga tao sa GenSan fishport may hawak na parang icepick at tinutusok yung mga isda) at hitsura (may bruises ba?).

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Mas ok kung kakainin eh yung pinakamababa sa food chain. Herring/sardines ang kinakain algae. Ang tuna kinakain mga kapwa isda. Isa pa mataas ang mercury content kapareha ng salmon.