New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Would you buy canned goods if they were produced in plastic containers?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 50.00%
  • No

1 16.67%
  • Maybe

2 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    i would prefer yung parang foil, like those used sa mga tetrapacks... i think biodegradable sila tsaka recyclable, dunno nga lang kung mas mura...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes plastics are recyclable but only virgin plastics are used for food packaging. another issue is storage. the typical grocery kargador usually stacks the boxes high so they either throw the boxes up or down to their fellow bodegero, so if by chance di nasalo for sure basag and plastic container.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    if by plastic you mean tupperware quality plastic... maybe. then again maybe not.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    this will make "canned" goods very expensive.

the reason why canned goods use cans because they are precooked, then sealed in a can and then cooked again (retorted) while in the can. this makes sure there are no bacteria and stuff inside.

although there are retortable pouches at the present time, in order for all the canned goods manufacturers to shift to retortable pouches will cost them a lot in changes in their manufacturing lines which will lead to very high captal requirements, ergo, very high overhead (kung uutangin ang pang upgrade). this overhead will be passed on to the consumers.

we can recycle both steel and plastic naman, it's just that the Philippines is doing neither (on a large scale), so recycling is not the issue.

andy

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by the_wildthing
    Hmmm... Is it really cheaper?

Will it last as long? Or would the plastic become contaminated, or the other way around, the food will be contaminated by the plastic?

We can't recycle the plastic, can we? I think the tin cans can be recycled.

Hmmm...tough question. What if you throw glass jars into the mix?

I'll sit on the fence here. "Maybe" for me.
    Glass jars are more expensive than metal cans. It takes a lot more resource to make a jar than to make a can.

Softdrink glass bottles are feasible because the softdrink bottlers recycle the bottles.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by badkuk
    my primary concern would be whether or not the packaging would react with the packaged food and release toxins and stuff. pero kung hindi naman, ok lang. some people actually believe na it's a bad idea to package food in tin cans, coz nagrereact daw ung pagkain sa bakal
    actually some products already are packaged in plastic like some spagetti sauces and cooking oil that previously have been packed using metal cans. So far its fine...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by BlackMagic
    yes plastics are recyclable but only virgin plastics are used for food packaging. another issue is storage. the typical grocery kargador usually stacks the boxes high so they either throw the boxes up or down to their fellow bodegero, so if by chance di nasalo for sure basag and plastic container.
    i dont think basag yung plastic container... usually the manufacturer already has taken that into consideration when choosing a packing type. Like the tetra pack used by some food items... those can be dropped quite a distance without breaking.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    If we're talking about cheap kinds of plastic, I don't think it's a good idea. Some of that plastic can leach to your food and could cause cancer.

Besides, I find canned foods disgusting. If I have to buy food over the counter, I tend to go for the ones in glass jars.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by jolog1
    If we're talking about cheap kinds of plastic, I don't think it's a good idea. Some of that plastic can leach to your food and could cause cancer.

Besides, I find canned foods disgusting. If I have to buy food over the counter, I tend to go for the ones in glass jars.
    Food grade plastics. Example is some spagetti sauces are now packed in plastic pouches.

Besides... food in glass jars will be more expensive than the same thing packed in tin cans or plastic equivalent.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    first choose muna ng kind of plastic.. there's plastic na parang yung longganisa / hamonado type ng pampanga's best... there's plastic na parang mga hotdog ng purefoods/swift... there's plastic na doy pack na parang zesto.... there's tetra pack.. there's plastic na parang tupperware or yung mga microwaveable....

depende din sa food, kapag ang sardines o kaya vienna sausage.. nilagay mo sa doy pack.. madali syang madurog.. kakain ka pa ba ng durog na vienna sausage/ sardines???

for the longest time.. yung binibili nating 100g na sardines / corned beef... more than 50% of the cost of this product goes into the packaging... kaya ganun na lang ang effect..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Canned goods in plastic containers...