New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Why do people experiment with different brands, viscousities, flipping from mineral to synthetic and vise versa, etc.

Why not stick with your manufacturer's recommendation and stick with one oil. Going with different kinds of oil have more of the bad thing in the long term than good.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    haha kasi baka isip nila ang manufacturers recommendation is not good enough.. although ako since im not technically marunong sa cars... im sticking with manufacturers recommendations. tsaka stock lang lahat

maybe to gain mileage and performance perhaps? and also "peace of mind" knowing that your puting a high grade synthetic oil in your engine.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    ano ba ang bagay na oil pag high mileage na, say 60K miles

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    maybe to gain mileage and performance perhaps? and also "peace of mind" knowing that your puting a high grade synthetic oil in your engine.

My manuf recommended oil is Mobil 1 synthetics 0w40. And i would stick to it just because thats what they recommend. For sure, those engineers who designed and built my car have put more mileage and know more about my engine than i do.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma_34
    ano ba ang bagay na oil pag high mileage na, say 60K miles

If you bought it new, then i would say, just stick with the brand your dealer used and change your oil regularly.

If you bought it used and dont know which brand was used, then, i would find a forum for my car and ask people what oil brand the manufacturer use and stick with it. And change your oil around 3T miles (your mileage will vary of course depending on how you drive, your load, if you drive in a dusty environment, etc).

There is nothing more dangerous than putting a synthetic now, then go back to mineral then synthetic again with a different brand and weight, etc. I would rather stick with mineral oil and change it 3T miles, rather than going back and forth with mineral and synthetic (well, they are 3-5 times more expensive so there are days when our pockets cant reach 'em).

Unless, your engine suffers from oil sludge - then, i would highly recommend you to go with synthetic (of course, you have to do proper transition) with less weight.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako natuto na rin sa ganyan. mas gumastos ako nung nag shift to fully synthetic..had leaks everywhere. hehe. i stick with what is recommended for my car..regular mineral oil
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

Quote Originally Posted by airshaq20
    If you bought it new, then i would say, just stick with the brand your dealer used and change your oil regularly.
    The thing is, dealerships here offer you different brands of motor oil.. mostly Synthetics which cost around 10 - 20% more than its SRP, sometimes they even recommend you to put additives. For the uninformed that would be an expensive oil change everytime. For me, I'm sticking to 15w40 Caltex mineral oil provided by my cars dealership, engine performes nicely anyways

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    The thing is, dealerships here offer you different brands of motor oil.. mostly Synthetics which cost around 10 - 20% more than its SRP, sometimes they even recommend you to put additives. For the uninformed that would be an expensive oil change everytime. For me, I'm sticking to 15w40 Caltex mineral oil provided by my cars dealership, engine performes nicely anyways
    Wow, i never heard of a dealership that recommends putting additives - seems like they just want to make money from you. Well, as with your case, some manufacturer's repack and rebrand their own oil but we all know they dont manufacture oil - they just simply put their name there and "recommend" it just for a profit...

Quote Originally Posted by airshaq20
    Wow, i never heard of a dealership that recommends putting additives - seems like they just want to make money from you. Well, as with your case, some manufacturer's repack and rebrand their own oil but we all know they dont manufacture oil - they just simply put their name there and "recommend" it just for a profit...
    Well at least some of them do it. In my cars dealership, they offer two brands of synthetic -> Coconoco and Mobil1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Why do people like to experiment with oil?