New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    SOS guys,

My brother has an owner type jeep with a toyota gasoline engine.
    He let a shop do the overhauling on his engine.
    The camshaft was regrinded, replaced all bearing, placed sleeve, change piston rings, changed valve seat and seals, regrind valves.

Day 1 - Engine is too rough, difficulty in going over a hump. (still managed to at high rpm)
    Day 2- Engine still rough (at idle up to 1000 rpm) but has more power, going over a hump is less difficult, engine has no smoke at idle but smokes at more than 1000 rpm (white smoke), exhaust has a smell of un burned petrol.
    Day 3- Engine stalled, carb was blocked with something, forced to get home adjusted idle at 2000 -2500 rpm (20 mins drive).

Day 4.- Engine still rough (at idle up to 1000 rpm), power did not improve ,still smoking and un burned petrol fume is still evident from exhaust.

Average daily drive = 5 km per day.

Note: Mechanic did not clean the exhaust pipe.

Any Ideas ??

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    obviously something wrong with the overhaul. in cases like this you should really ask the shop who did it what is wrong with their own work.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by reym View Post
    SOS guys,

My brother has an owner type jeep with a toyota gasoline engine.
    He let a shop do the overhauling on his engine.
    The camshaft was regrinded, replaced all bearing, placed sleeve, change piston rings, changed valve seat and seals, regrind valves.

Day 1 - Engine is too rough, difficulty in going over a hump. (still managed to at high rpm)
    Day 2- Engine still rough (at idle up to 1000 rpm) but has more power, going over a hump is less difficult, engine has no smoke at idle but smokes at more than 1000 rpm (white smoke), exhaust has a smell of un burned petrol.
    Day 3- Engine stalled, carb was blocked with something, forced to get home adjusted idle at 2000 -2500 rpm (20 mins drive).

Day 4.- Engine still rough (at idle up to 1000 rpm), power did not improve ,still smoking and un burned petrol fume is still evident from exhaust.

Average daily drive = 5 km per day.

Note: Mechanic did not clean the exhaust pipe.

Any Ideas ??
    yikes, well.. did you guys do a proper Break-In procedure on the motor?? coz if the motor is not properly broke-in, chances are that the Piston Rings are not seated yet (and hope that your "mechanic" put on the Piston Rings in their right position (the piston ring end gap location on the Piston) before putting it in the block. coz if the rings are not set on the right position, that is asking for a possible "blow by" which is not good at all.

also, if the Camshaft is re-grinded, is it "re-grinded" in the proper specs? and is it "re-grinded" to stock specs or as an upgrade? coz if they re-grinded the Cam to have more Lift & Duration, chances are that you are really going to have a lumpy Idle (just like a stage 2,3,4, etc.. High Performance Camshaft(s).. w/ higher Lift & longer Duration which will produce a lumpy idle at lower RPM's). and also, did they replace the Valve Springs?? (and hope they checked the height of the stock Valve Springs, coz if the stock valve springs are no longer in specs, your valves will just float and it will not open and close at the right distance and it wont let the Valves seat properly as well (which all can cause rough idling and hesitation).

also, check your timing.. make sure that the Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap & Rotor (all the good basic stuff) are replaced.. and make sure the Distributor is lined up at the right position (TDC or BTDC.. refer to your repair manual). and check the Carbs as well.. (but check the timing and ignition system first.. since that you might have adjusted the carbs too much, which is probably running too rich at this point.) .. and check for Vacuum leaks too.

anywayz, hope these simple tips/advice would help.. and hope your engine runs the way it supposed too soon!

aite, peace.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Thanks guys,

The camshaft was not re-grinded, only the crankshaft journals are regrinded.
    I doubt that the springs were checked for proper tension. As far as the block components, i think they have done it well. The cylinder head was sent to another machine shop for overhauling.

Update: Ive checked the sparkplugs after 80kms and the is barely a carbon buildup in it. I checked the oil level and 1/4 of a quart is missing.

I have observed that the idle is rough while it is cold, after 30 minutes of driving the roughness lessens.

If I stop the engine and let it cool for just 5 minutes, it idles like hell again.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    the valveseals may not have been lapped properly

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    the valveseals may not have been lapped properly
    Thanks sir speedyfix

may corrections lang ako : 1 quart pala ang nabawas na langis.

sir ano ba name mo tatawag ako sa office mo.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    look for either me (migs) or my chief mechanic reynante.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    look for either me (migs) or my chief mechanic reynante.
    Cant go wrong with speedyfix, very good reputation here in tsikot

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Update: I had a the compression check last satuday the values are:

1. 110
    2. 110
    3. 110
    4. 120

The oil consumption seem to go away after 150 kms. But the unburned smell and the shaky idling persists.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    na check na ang ignition timing? how about the high tension cables, baka naman merong putol? these can also cause rough idle and loss of power.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
White smoke / Unburned gas smell After Engine Overhaul