New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    hi mga bossing! kamusta kayo? just a couple of questions, hope u guys could help me with

first, when du u check ur engine oil (via dipstick)? mrning b4 starting ur car or after u have warmed it up, to check the oil level?

its only been 3400kms since my last change oil but i noticed that the oil level is getting lower, is this normal among diesel engines? sorry guys, just my first time to deal with diesel engines kasi...

anyway, its a trooper wid a 4jx1 engine, i used the petron all terrain 5w30 oil, is this any good? i mean i hope it is because it aint cheap

i ended up adding a little oil this morning, coz i noticed when i checked the oil without starting it was close to or lower than 3/4 on the dipstick.

btw, is it possible that the engine is burning the oil?

i hope u guys can enlighten me on this one! thanks!

more power!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    one more thing, what engine oil du u guys use? thanks!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Hello bryb0y,

i'm no expert but here's my two cents...

Check the oil level before starting your engine in the morning...let it settle and cool down before checking the dip stick.
    yes diesel engines normally eat some oil...about a liter before your next change oil...
    Caltex delo gold is what I use on my patrol...(9 liters! :D )
    I change oil every 3000KMS pag walang budget umaabot ng 5000 :D

Engine burning oil? yes possible...here are some signs...

emitting white smoke while idle (wait...this is normal kung nasa baguio ka or cold weather)
    too much smoke even when Idle...pero baka calibration lang ok na...
    loss of power...

but this is not always the case...have it check by a trusted mechanic...or better yet...have a comperession test done on your engine...

hope this helps..

kamote

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    yep, i had the same experience before with my 4jh1 engine. it happened when i went to dagupan and back to manila. it is normal that the engine burns some oil especially when you spend a lot of time in highways. in my hypothesis, this is because some of the oil escapes to the combution chamber when running at high-rpm. i ended up adding the oil, though.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Here's a good tip pre to check your oil;

- Check your oil when the engine is running not when it's in stationary. The reason for this is that oil sticks inside the engine parts like cranks, liners, oil pumps etc. so if you check your engine when it's cold, it may seem full. (there's no such thing as overflow of oil coz the oils settle at the PAN below.
    - Also check your OIl Pan or Crankcase, baka may butas.
    - You will notice a blak smoke coming from the muffler if you're burning oil. Possile cause is that the piston ring or the liner is already damaged or maluwag. oil may get on the burning area (combustion) from below. Solution is for overhaul and replacement og Piston Rings either to oversize (0.25) or standard.
    - It is not normal for your engine (gas or diesel) to loose oil. May problema yan if madami ang nawawala.
    - If you can't find what's wrong go and have it checked up sa Casa o sa Mechanic. Always have a 2nd opinion ha, coz yun iba gus2 overhaul kaagad! 5T labor pa lang, piyesa nyan cgurado dudugo bulsa mo...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    snyc, aren't you supposed to check your engine when its not running and when its still cool?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by snyc3
    You will notice a blak smoke coming from the muffler if you're burning oil.
    Black smoke is caused by running "rich", If you're burning oil, the smoke will be bluish. And bluish white is burned coolant. ;)

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by snyc3
    Check your oil when the engine is running not when it's in stationary. The reason for this is that oil sticks inside the engine parts like cranks, liners, oil pumps etc. so if you check your engine when it's cold, it may seem full. (there's no such thing as overflow of oil coz the oils settle at the PAN below.
    You will get inaccurate measure level of oil if you checked it while its on idle, because the oil is circulating. The answer is in the owners manual. ;)
    Last edited by SiAKOL; April 24th, 2004 at 03:39 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    thanks for ur inputs guys! actually minsan parang may white smoke when bagong andar in the morning.
    i checked the oil in the morning medyo malaki bawas... i ended up adding a little of whats left from the oil that i used for the change oil...

feeling ko nga hindi masyado nagawa tong oto... coz we got it with a defect, at 7000 kms the injectors were replaced by casa... since then i didnt bring it back na... i hated the service there.

anong oil naman gamit niyo? aside from delo gold ano pa iba kong options... thanks guys!

i heard from someone masama daw synthetic oil for our climate... made sense so ewan ko ba...

more inputs from u guys would really help! thanks again! and more power!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by bryb0y
    i heard from someone masama daw synthetic oil for our climate.
    Synthetic can be use in all climate just use the right viscosity, And ask that "someone" why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Where did my oil GO?