New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ano ang viscosity ng mineral oil? I need a change oil for my innova-gas and out of warranty na sya so i want to do the maintenance outside sa casa para maka tipid...since I have been doing maintenance in casa with mineral oil lang, what is its equivalent oil sa labas? need ko rin bang mag change ng filter almost 40,000km na ang na regsiter nya, what about oil flashing need ko rin ba to?

Since 5.5 liters ang need ng oil ko. what I intend to do is buy 5 liters of mineral oil and 500ml oil additive- ok ba to? just read STP oil additive, pwede ba 500ml nito will be added sa 5 liters or mineral oil? by the way gasoline yung innova ko...tia

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras
    ano ang viscosity ng mineral oil? I need a change oil for my innova-gas and out of warranty na sya so i want to do the maintenance outside sa casa para maka tipid...since I have been doing maintenance in casa with mineral oil lang, what is its equivalent oil sa labas? need ko rin bang mag change ng filter almost 40,000km na ang na regsiter nya, what about oil flashing need ko rin ba to?

Since 5.5 liters ang need ng oil ko. what I intend to do is buy 5 liters of mineral oil and 500ml oil additive- ok ba to? just read STP oil additive, pwede ba 500ml nito will be added sa 5 liters or mineral oil? by the way gasoline yung innova ko...tia
    Lahatng viscosity Meron, depende Kung Ano gusto mo gamitin and hinde na kailangan ng additives Sayang Lang pera

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    kung ano klaseng motor oil sabi sa owner's manual yan ang sundin

di na kailangan ng additive

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    kung mineral oil ang gagamitin, buy quality oils na lang, no need for additives.

mineral oils should last 5,000km. pero better kung mag change oil after 4,000 or 4,500km.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Oil viscosity varies bye weight of the oil and what group base stock it's made of, If you want to know the in's and out of oil and filters just check out this thread. Tons and tons of info.

http://tsikot.com/forums/engine-fuel...9/index93.html

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    kung mineral hanap mo madame yan viscosity.. starting from 10w40/1540/20w40/20w50 at kung anu anu pa...
    just find a good mineral oil with ample additives inside and good base stocks...

viscosity wise walang epekto yan... but according sa bobistheoilguy forums, its better to use the lower starting number like 5w or 10w... all oils when at operating temp has the same viscosity.. ibig sabihin kahit 10w30,5w30,10w40,15w50 lahat yan same viscosity pag operating temp na( pag mainit na makina)... what sets them apart is yung cold start rating(early morning starts)... mas mababang grade like 0w/5w/10w mas maganda para sa cold start flow where 80% of wear occurs... since gasoline engine ka naman 5w or 10w would suffice..

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    yun castrol magnatec ok sa gas innova namin

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    We left off discussing that a 0W-30 grade oil is not thinner than a 10W-30 oil. They both have the same thickness at operating temperature. The 0W-30 simply does not get as thick on cooling as the 10W-30. Both are still way to thick to lubricate an engine at startup.

I have heard several people say that Porsche specifically prohibits a 0W-XX engine oil, that it is too thin. Now here is the partial truth I spoke of earlier. We will discuss multi-grade oils. Earlier we said that a straight 30 grade oil has a thickness of 10 at the normal operating temperature of your engine. The multi-grade oils 0W-30 and 10W-30 also have a thickness of 10 at 212°F.

The difference is at 75°F, your startup temperature in the morning.

Oil Type Thickness at 75° F Thickness at 212° F
    Straight 30 250 10
    10W-30 100 10
    0W-30 40 10
    Straight 10 30 6

Remember, the only difference between a 0W-40 and a 10W-40 is that the 0W-40 thickens less after you turn off your engine. It is still too thick in the morning at startup but not as thick as the 10W-40. Yet, they are still too thick to use until they both warm up to operating temperature at which point they have the save viscosity, around 13 to 14. Remember that the 0W-30, 10W-30 and straight 30 grade oils all have a viscosity of around 10 at normal engine operating temperatures. They all thicken when you turn off your engine. The 10W-30 will thicken the most.

source: bob is the oil guy forums...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Hi attyallanlatras and fellow tsikoters,
    There two things to look at when choosing engine oils: The SAE grade and the API grade. The SAE grade tells us the viscosity of the oil at operating temperature. In the Philippines where the ambient temperature is hot, the recommended SAE grades are SAE 40 or SAE 50. When choosing multigrade oil like SAE 10W-40 or SAE 20W-50, etc., just try to take note of the last number, i.e., 40 and 50. The higher the SAE grade, the more viscous (or thicker) the oil is at operating temperature. But in our country the usual is SAE 40 and SAE 50, SAE 20w-40 AND SAE 20W-50.

The API grade tells us the quality level of the oil, example API SE. The higher the second letter in the SE, the higher the quality. A gasoline engine oil API SF is higher than API SE, API SG is higher than API SF, etc. Today there are oils with API SL, SM and SN. An API SN is higher quality than API SM and API SM is higher than API SL.

So I suggest that take a look at the manual of your Innova and see the recommended grades of oil. Most probably it says SAE 40 and SAE 50. In this case you can choose either monograde or multigrade. SAE 40 and SAE 50 are monograde, and SAE 20W-40 and SAE 20W-50 are multigrades. The multigrades are more expensive but are better oils. Then check the API grade recommended in the manual of your Innova. If it says for example API SF, then you can use higher API oils like API SG, SJ, SL, SM or SN.

Oils sold by the locally operating international oil companies are good oils. The international oil companies like Shell, Total and Chevron have very extensive research laboratories internationally, and they have their international reputation at stake. The advantage of using their oil is that you can go after them if your engine is damaged due to their oil, because they have local operation. It is more difficult to go after a company which does not have local operation.

It is the job of the oil to remove the engine dirt and carry them to the oil filter where the dirt are screened out. Huwag magtipid sa oil filter because the filter removes the dirt and therefor protects the engine.

The oil additive is not needed. It may even be dangerous to your engine. The engine oils produced by reputable oil companies are formulated and manufactured complete with all the additives that they need. They are designed to work by themselves, no additional oil additives are needed. If an additive is added and this turns out to be incompatible with your oil, then it might damage your engine. There have been instances where the commercial additive chemically reacted with the oil that resulted in engine damage. Also, the oil additives have viscosity of their own that is different from the viscosity recommended for your engine. In this case adding the oil additive will alter the thickness of the oil circulating inside your engine and this affects your engine.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    if your engine is damaged by using an engine oil of your choice,,, it will be difficult to get after the oil companies,,, its very difficult if not impossible to isolate engine oil as the sole culprit if an engine is destroyed or compromised... but we all bank on the established name of the big 3 lubricants,,,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
What's the viscosity of mineral oil?